Verizon LG G2 - Voice Quality Observation

qisdtech

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I've had my VZW G2 for a few weeks and I have noticed something that may explain some of the voice quality issues people have reported.
There is a microphone at the top of the phone and one at the bottom. While in a call only the bottom microphone is active and if you turn the speakerphone on, the reverse happens with only the top microphone active. Hopefully a software update can fix this so that both microphones can be utilized while in a call. I can see how folks would complain about the call quality especially if you are not speaking into the correct end of the phone or the microphone gets covered up by your hand. That's really about the only negative I have about this phone coming from the Razr Maxx HD.

Has anyone else noticed this with their G2?

LGElectronics

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. We will forward this to our factory for review to see if this is an issue with all the phones or just isolated here. ^CL

guruglue

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The call quality issues I am experiencing (and have been reading about) are not related to this. There is most definately a baseband issue at play here. It's like I'm talking on an old walkie talkie. Very much a software signal compression like issue. It occurs even when utilizing my bt headset.

Sad news is that i just got off the phone with lg tech support. He claimed, in spite of the numerous threads across the interwebs relating to this very issue, lg is not aware of any problems. Very discouraging.

darryjr

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
The call quality issues I am experiencing (and have been reading about) are not related to this. There is most definately a baseband issue at play here. It's like I'm talking on an old walkie talkie. Very much a software signal compression like issue. It occurs even when utilizing my bt headset.

Sad news is that i just got off the phone with lg tech support. He claimed, in spite of the numerous threads across the interwebs relating to this very issue, lg is not aware of any problems. Very discouraging.
I have the sprint version and am dealing with call quality issues on my end. Static, almost like electro static. Been to sprint, useless, called sprint useless, started a thread on sprint g2, and a few people are saying they are having same issue. Sprint told me network issues. Problem is, I have 2 g2s only one has the problem. When phone is roaming however, call is crystal clear. Highly frustrating.

Aragorn3

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I, too, have this problem. Verizon tried a patch from a customer service tech, a new sim card and finally changed my phone out. I checked the new phone out before leaving the store and I couldn't believe it -- it did the same thing. The caller's voice occasionally cracks like static. It's a bit like a land line phone when water has gotten in the phone box outside and you experience static on the line. My Verizon consultant also had the LG G2; so I then had her call my wife on her phone as well as someone else and she heard the same noise on her phone. Another consultant came over who overheard our conversation and suggested I disable the Privacy Keeper under Call Settings, which is found when you use the Dial Pad. I believe that has actually helped some, but it did not totally eliminate the problem. I can hear the cracking even when it is connected to my car's Bluetooth; so it's not the speaker in the phone. If you haven't tried disabling the Privacy Keeper, give it a try. I've turned it on and off several times and remade a call and at least in my case, it seems to help about 50%. I'll need to test it further to be absolutely certain.

I really love this phone, but it's call quality is definitely inferior to my wife's Moto X. The LG G2 sounds tinny in comparison, but I could live with that. However, the cracking (possibly clipping) noise is really unacceptable. I hope this is something that can be fixed with a software/firmware update and that it is soon. I just bought the phone; so I still have time to take it back, but I really hope it doesn't come to that. For me the phone is excellent in almost every other way. In my opinion, it's overall one of the best smartphones available, but in the final analysis it still needs to function well as a phone or it fails to serve its primary purpose. I'm hopeful that LG will step up to the plate and resolve this quickly.

Aragorn3

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I forgot to add that to further enhance Voice Quality I actually had to uncheck "Voice Enhancement" as well. After some experimentation I would say this has helped about 70 to 80 percent.

guruglue

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Having received no help, no updates from lg, I returned here to see if anyone else had resolved this issue. Tried Aragorn3's suggestions with some success! At least, I think.

The noise is still there, but it does sound much better. I can actually understand what the other party is saying. Well, most of the time.

For those who need help finding them, the settings can be toggled from the dialer screen. Just go like you're going to make a call, then hit the menu soft key at the bottom. It's the one with 3 horizontal lines on the right. Select "Call settings". Scroll down to "Voice Enhancment". Make sure it is unchecked.

Now, my "Privacy Keeper" was already disabled by default. But I did find a setting under CDMA settings called "Voice privacy". I went ahead and deselected that for good measure.

This seems to have somewhat improved call quality for me. I too am hopefull that this issue will be resolved fully in a future software update. After all, what good is a smartphone that works terribly as a phone?

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I, too, have this problem. Verizon tried a patch from a customer service tech, a new sim card and finally changed my phone out. I checked the new phone out before leaving the store and I couldn't believe it -- it did the same thing. The caller's voice occasionally cracks like static. It's a bit like a land line phone when water has gotten in the phone box outside and you experience static on the line. My Verizon consultant also had the LG G2; so I then had her call my wife on her phone as well as someone else and she heard the same noise on her phone. Another consultant came over who overheard our conversation and suggested I disable the Privacy Keeper under Call Settings, which is found when you use the Dial Pad. I believe that has actually helped some, but it did not totally eliminate the problem. I can hear the cracking even when it is connected to my car's Bluetooth; so it's not the speaker in the phone. If you haven't tried disabling the Privacy Keeper, give it a try. I've turned it on and off several times and remade a call and at least in my case, it seems to help about 50%. I'll need to test it further to be absolutely certain.

I really love this phone, but it's call quality is definitely inferior to my wife's Moto X. The LG G2 sounds tinny in comparison, but I could live with that. However, the cracking (possibly clipping) noise is really unacceptable. I hope this is something that can be fixed with a software/firmware update and that it is soon. I just bought the phone; so I still have time to take it back, but I really hope it doesn't come to that. For me the phone is excellent in almost every other way. In my opinion, it's overall one of the best smartphones available, but in the final analysis it still needs to function well as a phone or it fails to serve its primary purpose. I'm hopeful that LG will step up to the plate and resolve this quickly.

I've got this issue as well with a Sprint LG G2. Your description of "clipping" is very accurate. It sounds like an amplifier that is clipping or the speaker is being over-driven. You just can't buy a phone anymore and have everything work out of the box. Consumers are the new "Beta Testers".

People on the other end tell me that I don't sound as good as I did on a previous Samsung GN3. I've been told the mic gain on the LG G2 is lower as well as lacking warmth.

Chhhs

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I just got the LG G2 with Verizon 8 days ago along with my brother. He is happy with his, as am I, but we both definitely have the same problem as you. We can hardly hear the other person at times along with random noises, even with voice enhancement & such. PLUS nobody seems to hear me consistently when I call them, apparently, I only sound absolutely clear on speakerphone, otherwise, they ask me constantly what I said, even if I'm NOT covering the microphone slots. It's rather annoying really. I switched to Verizon because I make too many important calls & I needed a reliable service that won't drop them. & now I have a reliable service but nobody can hear me. I really need help with it, please let there be an update or something! Like a lot of you, I love the G2, it's an amazing phone, but this call quality issue might turn into a deal breaker for me. If someone else is having this problem, it'd be much appreciated to hear a solution or just to hear that I'm not crazy.

Aragorn3

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well I just updated to KitKat from Verizon, but no joy. I then tried the Verizon Call Quality fix posted in this thread and that has helped immensely.

Atrader1

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Bought my Verizon LG G2 4 week ago and am on my 3rd phone due to microphone issues. Everyone I talk to says my voice fades in and out and is very hard to hear. Called Verizon they say I can replace with a different make and LG says to send it in for service. 3 phones and they all do the same thing its a manufacturer problem!! Speaker phone works great. Any fixes for this out there?