Difference between Global and LTE/CDMA?

denarok

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know the difference between these two?

this setting is under Mobile networks -> system select

By default mine was set to Global. I changed it to LTE/CDMA, but should I have left it on global? Which gives better connection? Which does better 4G to 3G switching?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know the difference between these two?

this setting is under Mobile networks -> system select

By default mine was set to Global. I changed it to LTE/CDMA, but should I have left it on global? Which gives better connection? Which does better 4G to 3G switching?

If you are in the U.S I recommend sticking with LTE/CDMA.

If you travel alot to different countries, I recommend staying with Global.

denarok

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
If you are in the U.S I recommend sticking with LTE/CDMA.

If you travel alot to different countries, I recommend staying with Global.

I have never been outside the US my entire life, and doubt I will travel much never know so I guess will leave it on LTE/CDMA

by the way has anyone figured out a way to force it to use 3G only? This way if you travelling in a fringe area and know it will switch a lot I bet will save battery then trying to find a signal? I use to do that with my old gnexus.

The other G2 variants have that option right there under mobile settings but for some reason verizon will not give you that option, not sure why.

Thanks

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Ohio and on Verizon. For some reason, MMS sends faster when I have it set to global instead of cdma. Not sure why, but it does.

Posted via Android Central App

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I have never been outside the US my entire life, and doubt I will travel much never know so I guess will leave it on LTE/CDMA

by the way has anyone figured out a way to force it to use 3G only? This way if you travelling in a fringe area and know it will switch a lot I bet will save battery then trying to find a signal? I use to do that with my old gnexus.

The other G2 variants have that option right there under mobile settings but for some reason verizon will not give you that option, not sure why.

Thanks

No need with the Snapdragon 800...

Posted via Android Central App

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
oh really? I had no idea the CPU made a huge difference in terms of 3g/4g switching? I guess I will find out this week when I do some travelling.

The phone will automatically detect when 3g and 4g is available. By design I believe 4g will be automatically picked over 3g.

denarok

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Seems like when my phone loses 4G it is hard to find back. If I reboot it will usually find it again.

That did happen to me today, what I did instead of rebooting was switch from LTE/CDMA, to GLOBAL, then back to LTE/CDMA and found 4G, I guess that resets radio instead of rebooting

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
global is for other countries and for the united states GSM carriers like if you put a At&t sim or Straight Talk sim in the phone after setting up your APN settings you will have voice text and data via HSPA+(4g) or a t-mobile sim you will have voice text and data via their EDGE (2g) network unless your in a reframed 4g area of t-mobile then you will also have HSPA+ also if you want to lock your phone to 3g only you can use this app https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.cc.signalinfo&hl=en&token=FALvnui7 open the app scroll to the bottom click additional info then phone information then scroll to the middle of the page and in the drop down box click on CDMA auto (PRL) you can also lock it to lte only by clicking lte only but you cant make or receive calls only send and receive texts hope this helps :)

bosscib

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
global is for other countries and for the united states GSM carriers like if you put a At&t sim or Straight Talk sim in the phone after setting up your APN settings you will have voice text and data via HSPA+(4g) or a t-mobile sim you will have voice text and data via their EDGE (2g) network unless your in a reframed 4g area of t-mobile then you will also have HSPA+ also if you want to lock your phone to 3g only you can use this app https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.cc.signalinfo&hl=en&token=bKSAX9OB open the app scroll to the bottom click additional info then phone information then scroll to the middle of the page and in the drop down box click on CDMA auto (PRL) you can also lock it to lte only by clicking lte only but you cant make or receive calls only send and receive texts hope this helps :)

I've tried multiple apps that are supposed to allow you to switch to CDMA (3G) only, but none of them work with the Verizon G2. With this app you referenced, clicking on Phone Information generates a Note "This application does not work on this device."

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
ok i wasnt sure i dont have the g2 but i had the note 3 and i have the droid maxx and it worked on both of the phones so i only guessed that it would also work with the g2 im sorry if the app wasnt compatible its a great app i heard that the g2 has a hidden menu you can get to via the dial pad but im not sure if there is a way to get it to lock to 3g from it.

bosscib

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
No worries thanks for the suggestion. I don't believe the hidden menu has the 3G option available either. I have a Verizon network extender and typically only get 1 bar of 4G, so locking on 3G always worked with my S3. Haven't been able to do this with the G2 yet so I disconnected the network extender.

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
ok sorry i wasnt able to help though hopefully someone will be able to find out something or maybe the app will get updated to where it will work on the g2.

rmarq423

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
FYI - for my galaxy S5:

I was unable to answer all my calls coming from gvoice number as well as other numbers that seemed to come from coporate companies behind a phone routing system... VERY ANNOYING since we use Google Voice all the time.

I changed my setting to LTE/CDMA and that solved all my issues. Hopefully this helps other users.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca