Searching For My New Three to Four Year Phone

JS5900

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
From what I have read, this LG G2 seems to have everything I want to potentially be a three to four year phone, meaning excellent signal pull, Snapdragon 800 processor, 32 GB memory, 5 inch HD screen, nice camera, etcetera. But there is one thing that it doesn't have --- a removable battery. There is already a thread below where some people are saying their batteries aren't what they used to be after less than year. This built in obsolescence is annoying. So my question is, if I bought this phone and ever got to a point where I really needed to replace the battery in order to keep it as my number one phone, could I take it to a cell phone repair shop and have it replaced, or would it cost so much to replace a battery that I may as well get a new phone?

P.S. The GS4 has a replaceable battery but lousy signal pull. I bought one and took it back within the 14 day period because it couldn't pull data in locations that I was used to pulling data in.

Last edited:

razr maxximus

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I've only had mine a month or so and the battery lasts a long time. Even if it doesn't last as long over time, wait until you see how FAST this thing charges. It can go from like, 42% to 100% in less than a half hour. I've never seen something charge so quickly. I have not seen a lot of info posted about that feature.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, until battery tech changes, that will be the weakest part of a modern flagship phone. They are all on borrowed time after about 12 months of use. If your phone has a removable battery such as most Samsung phones, then you are in the best position to keep your phone for several years as you can just pop in a replacement easily. I am too hard on phones & usually destroy them long before the battery goes bad.

Posted via Android Central App on my Ebony backed Moto X

JS5900

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, until battery tech changes, that will be the weakest part of a modern flagship phone. They are all on borrowed time after about 12 months of use. If your phone has a removable battery such as most Samsung phones, then you are in the best position to keep your phone for several years as you can just pop in a replacement easily. I am too hard on phones & usually destroy them long before the battery goes bad.

Imo, the Samsung GS4 has a much worse problem than a non removable battery: It won't pull in data in a location I frequent where other phones on the Verizon network pull in data just fine. I tried a GS4 and took it back. I understand that the coming LG 5.9 inch phablet will have a removable battery, but that is bigger than I want.

razrmaxximus said:
Even if it doesn't last as long over time, wait until you see how FAST this thing charges. It can go from like, 42% to 100% in less than a half hour.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
From what I have read, this LG G2 seems to have everything I want to potentially be a three to four year phone, meaning excellent signal pull, Snapdragon 800 processor, 32 GB memory, 5 inch HD screen, nice camera, etcetera. But there is one thing that it doesn't have --- a removable battery. There is already a thread below where some people are saying their batteries aren't what they used to be after less than year. This built in obsolescence is annoying. So my question is, if I bought this phone and ever got to a point where I really needed to replace the battery in order to keep it as my number one phone, could I take it to a cell phone repair shop and have it replaced, or would it cost so much to replace a battery that I may as well get a new phone?

P.S. The GS4 has a replaceable battery but lousy signal pull. I bought one and took it back within the 14 day period because it couldn't pull data in locations that I was used to pulling data in.

If it is any consolation even though it is not intended to be removed by the user the LG g2 battery is possibly the easiest battery to replace of all the modern phones without a replaceable battery. I have not done it myself but apparently a factory battery can be purchase online and removing the back of the phone is as simple as removing the SIM card tray and gently prying the back off.

ಠ益ಠ

JS5900

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
If it is any consolation even though it is not intended to be removed by the user the LG g2 battery is possibly the easiest battery to replace of all the modern phones without a replaceable battery. I have not done it myself but apparently a factory battery can be purchase online and removing the back of the phone is as simple as removing the SIM card tray and gently prying the back off.

ಠ益ಠ

Hey, that is even better to know! Thanks! If it is something I might potentially be able to replace at home with moderate, technical and mechanical skills, that is probably enough good information to push me over the edge towards going ahead and purchasing one!! Besides, I am realizing that guys like me still crying about non removable batteries are pretty much becoming dinosaurs.

I bought a state of the art laptop in summer of 2010 that continues to serve me very well with only having to replace the battery. I got in my head that smartphones have probably reached a point as well where they have the processing, memory and full day battery capacity to credibly service my needs much longer than two years if I can eventually replace the battery, but I guess I will go with the flow, buy a LG G2 with a non removable battery and decide in two years whether I want to get another phone or whether I want to try to operate on the LG to put in a new battery myself.

Last edited:

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Imo, the Samsung GS4 has a much worse problem than a non removable battery: It won't pull in data in a location I frequent where other phones on the Verizon network pull in data just fine. I tried a GS4 and took it back. I understand that the coming LG 5.9 inch phablet will have a removable battery, but that is bigger than I want.

That's good to know. Thanks.

I wasn't endorsing or recommending Samsung phones, just using them as an example since it seems most all their phones have removable batteries. My point was, if your looking for a phone to keep for 3 - 4 years, I would look for one with a removable battery. That way it is easy & simple when when the battery does go bad, because it will eventually.

JS5900

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

ಠ益ಠ

I just found a LG G2 teardown at ifixit.com. It looks more complicated to get to the battery, replace it and put the phone back together again without screwing it up than I imagined. My intitial read is that there are a lot of steps to even get to the battery and then when you finally get there, it is very difficult to pry it out. Step #8: "We can now start the process of removing the battery. Of all the things held down by adhesive in this device the battery is the most difficult thing to remove. Using a flat plastic pry tool pry up the edges of the battery and work you way to the middle from all sides. Careful not to bend the battery too much i can not stress how well this battery is held in but be patient and just work at it."

LG G2 Teardown - iFixit

dcleveng

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
FCC should have regulated that all phones have removable batteries.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I'm happy with my non-removable battery. Why would I want the FCC to tell me I can't buy a phone with a non-removable battery?

There are plenty of great phones with non-removable batteries. At first, I looked at it as a negative aspect to the LG G2, but I've changed my perspective a little on the subject. The non-removable aspect has allowed LG to increase battery capacity slightly compared to the S4 for example. I think sometimes people get too hung up on removable vs non-removable. The G2 has no problem lasting all day long. My phone vary rarely dips into the 60-70% range by the end of the day with average use.

I know longevity (in years) is what is in question here and I can respect that. I plan on keeping this phone as long as possible myself. Right now though, battery life is amazing and charging speed is unbelievably fast. If the battery life begins to suffer in a few years, well...maybe the phone will only last a day rather than 1.5 days or more like it does now.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I just found a LG G2 teardown at ifixit.com. It looks more complicated to get to the battery, replace it and put the phone back together again without screwing it up than I imagined. My intitial read is that there are a lot of steps to even get to the battery and then when you finally get there, it is very difficult to pry it out. Step #8: "We can now start the process of removing the battery. Of all the things held down by adhesive in this device the battery is the most difficult thing to remove. Using a flat plastic pry tool pry up the edges of the battery and work you way to the middle from all sides. Careful not to bend the battery too much i can not stress how well this battery is held in but be patient and just work at it."

LG G2 Teardown - iFixit

Hmm sorry if I steered you in the wrong direction. I saw a quick write up and they made it seem quite easy. This does not. I would not feel comfortable doing this myself :(

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy with my non-removable battery. Why would I want the FCC to tell me I can't buy a phone with a non-removable battery?

There are plenty of great phones with non-removable batteries. At first, I looked at it as a negative aspect to the LG G2, but I've changed my perspective a little on the subject. The non-removable aspect has allowed LG to increase battery capacity slightly compared to the S4 for example. I think sometimes people get too hung up on removable vs non-removable. The G2 has no problem lasting all day long. My phone vary rarely dips into the 60-70% range by the end of the day with average use.

I know longevity (in years) is what is in question here and I can respect that. I plan on keeping this phone as long as possible myself. Right now though, battery life is amazing and charging speed is unbelievably fast. If the battery life begins to suffer in a few years, well...maybe the phone will only last a day rather than 1.5 days or more like it does now.

If it had a removable battery then you would have the option, but if you don't have the option it's no way to change it when it craps out.

Don't buy into that crap about extra capacity, it just isn't true.

adauth

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
As a G2 owner since it's release I highly recommend it!
It's easily the best device I have ever owned. I have owned quite a few from several different manufacturers. The Battery doesn't quit 3,000 mah with quick charge, Snapdragon 800, adreno 330 gpu, absolutely amazing display, unbelievably small bezels, great devolper support, the rear keys are a tad awkward at first but they become second nature. Also the knockOn/knockOFF feature is so awesome! I find myself trying to double tap my other devices to wake them.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

adauth

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
If it had a removable battery then you would have the option, but if you don't have the option it's no way to change it when it craps out.

Don't buy into that crap about extra capacity, it just isn't true.

Actually it's true. The G2 has step technology for the battery. They described it at IFA during the G2 announcement. Give it a Google check it out and you will buy into the extra capacity crap that you don't now. ;-)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
As a very pleased LG2 owner I can also say this phone is great but I do actually miss HTC. The DNA i gave to my wife w sense 5+ flies (smoother than the g2 imho), and sense is the only up pretty and complete enough UI to not want to replace it with something AOSP based. Speaker is also slightly disappointing on the G2.

But, battery life is amazing, screen is great and the camera can produce some amazing images.
Still, I'd suggest waiting for the new HTC One rendition and see how especially battery life is with a battery smaller than the G2 but with the newer 801 cpu. Worst case you ll be able to pick up a g2 for next to nothing.

Posted via Android Central App

Jeffk23

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to see an HTC device with even average battery life. If you had the rezound or the DNA and then make the g2 your phone, as far as battery life, it is a completely different animal

Hunan

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you could get the Korean version. It has removable battery and I think an sd slot.

Last edited:

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
FCC should have regulated that all phones have removable batteries.

the fcc should have regulated that it no longer exists. a completely worthless agency. if anything it should only maintain a list of who owns rights to which ota frequencies, and nothing else.

back on topic...if u don't mind me asking, why do u need the phone to last more than 2 years?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless G2, using unlimited data :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX