LG G2: Button Placement

shanedroid1

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am torn between the LG G2, the S4(5) and the Droid Maxx.

I am leaning most towards the LG G2 the only thing that is making me question that decision is the button placement and the Knock on function.

Were you user ables to quickly adapt to the button placement and is it something that you enjoy now or is it something that still is weird/bothers you till this day?

Last edited by a moderator:

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I think back buttons should have been here since the beginning.
That's how good I think they are. I highly recommend it.

Posted via Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Button Placement

Very much like the back buttons. Very easy to access and curs down on accidental side button pushing

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

I don't mind the back buttons, but they aren't head and shoulders better than side buttons for me. However knock on and knock off means I seldom have to use the back buttons.

AZDroid

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I adapted quick to the back buttons. Knock on is great, just beware, you may start trying to knock on other things too. I try to get knock on to work on my Nexus 7 all the time 😕

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

Took about a day to get used to but I really love the G2. Now I find myself knocking on my Kindle to turn it on.

A couple people I work with have the S4 and wish they had waited for the G2.... Battery life is significantly better! My co-workers end up plugging in close to the end of the day while I still have around 70% battery left. We all use our phones very much the same.

David

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

I honestly don't even use the back buttons, except when I use the front facing camera to take a pic of me with my son. The knock on pretty much eliminates the need to use them.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The G2 is such a stellar device. I took to the back button placement almost immediately. That is just a great phone all around. To me, it's a better recommendation than the S4 but I respect that the removable battery and storage are desired by some.

via the tablet

Last edited:

otictac1

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I am going to disagree, but only slightly. The knock on feature is terrific. I love it and use it exclusively when powering the phone on or off.

All in all, I think the phone is terrific. If I had to buy another phone today, it would still be the G2. My only complain about it are the back buttons. I find them to be very useful when I am talking on the phone and need to adjust the volume, but I almost never talk on the phone. Most of the time, I find myself searching for the volume up and down keys while the phone is resting on the seat next to me or some other place that it isn't terribly easy to reach the back.

All of that being said, I still love the phone and would most certainly buy the G3 even if the buttons were still on the back so it isn't a huge issue for me.

slinky826

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had the issue of trying to Knock on things after using the G2 for some time. I love the button placement on the back, give the edges of the phone a very smooth, clean feel.

Only thing I don't like about the buttons are the lack of tactile differences in them. Many times I have to look at them before pressing them because I can't tell what I'm gonna push.

blkcheech

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I like the back buttons. The only problem I have had is when the pho,e is in the same pocket as my keys, I have had the phone get shut off by the keys pressing the power button in my pocket. As far as knock on/off, I think it works fairly well. It can be a little but finicky at times but overall, I think it works well. I actually wish my Nexus 7 had the feature.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I like the back buttons. The only problem I have had is when the pho,e is in the same pocket as my keys, I have had the phone get shut off by the keys pressing the power button in my pocket. As far as knock on/off, I think it works fairly well. It can be a little but finicky at times but overall, I think it works well. I actually wish my Nexus 7 had the feature.

I know different strokes for different folks but it seems rather cruel to the phone to put it in the same pocket as your keys. Think of the phone. ☺️

via the tablet

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
i like my phone, but i don't like the back buttons. i bought it on launch day, and i still sometimes hit the wrong button when i try to raise the volume.

that being said, it is not a dealbreaker for me. knock on works great most of the time so you don't really need to use the power button

Jeffk23

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Phone is great. Knock on /off works for me. My brother got the Incipio dual pro case. He swears by it. I do have to admit, the case makes the buttons more useful and easier to find. Way easier.

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Phone is great. Knock on /off works for me. My brother got the Incipio dual pro case. He swears by it. I do have to admit, the case makes the buttons more useful and easier to find. Way easier.

agreed. the back buttons, especially on the vzw model because they're smaller than all the others, can be difficult to distinguish when not looking at them. putting a case on the phone makes it much easier to find the correct button quickly.

knock on is such a simple concept that works so well I can't believe it took this long for any phone from any brand running any os to implement.

when looking for a phone I initially had a hard line requiring removable battery and storage. the g2 made me not even care. it's such a better phone than anything else available that I can't believe it's not even more popular.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless G2, using unlimited data :)

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I am indifferent about the back buttons. I love knock on, but I hate the on screen Android buttons. The screen is roughly the same size as the S3's screen because of the space wasted on the on screen buttons. Samsung also mitigates the need for knock on with the physical home button.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I am indifferent about the back buttons. I love knock on, but I hate the on screen Android buttons. The screen is roughly the same size as the S3's screen because of the space wasted on the on screen buttons. Samsung also mitigates the need for knock on with the physical home button.

It's somewhat rare to read that someone dislikes the onscreen buttons and would prefer capacitive ones.

via the tablet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol