Verizon LG G2: SMS Notification During Phone Call

otictac1

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

My wife recently acquired the G2 and really likes it, but there is one thing that seems to be bothering her. She is coming from an iPhone and one of the features that she liked is that it would still give her a notification if she received a text even when on a phone call. Sometimes she'll have marathon sessions with her mother and might miss a few texts without the notification sound. Is it possible with a setting on the phone or a downloaded app to enable this?

Last edited by a moderator:

otictac1

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I've looked there and nothing obvious jumped out at me. Also, she has tried both the stock messaging app and Hangouts for her sms needs.

thecycleoflife

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I use Handcent for text messages. When I get a text while talking on the phone the text message window pops up on the screen. Also, a notification immediately shows up on the status bar.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

thecycleoflife

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Also, as Golfdriver97 suggested, go to your messaging app that comes with the phone, go to Settings, Notifications, and then make sure the appropriate boxes are checked.

bdelio

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall setting anything up specific for that but I can tell you that I get beeps that I have a text while on a call. I use the stock app

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

otictac1

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't recall setting anything up specific for that but I can tell you that I get beeps that I have a text while on a call. I use the stock app

Hm. That's interesting. My wife and I both have G2s and neither of ours does it. I wonder what setting we have turned off/you have turned on to get it to do that?

otictac1

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Also, as Golfdriver97 suggested, go to your messaging app that comes with the phone, go to Settings, Notifications, and then make sure the appropriate boxes are checked.

Yeah, I've done that and nothing screams out to me that would control the call notification settings.

bdelio

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hm. That's interesting. My wife and I both have G2s and neither of ours does it. I wonder what setting we have turned off/you have turned on to get it to do that?

I'll test it and report back. Maybe I'm smoking something but I believe I do get alerted.

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Get the free Verizon messaging app on Google play. Does way more than the stock message app, including what you are looking for.

bdelio

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I tested it and I hear and audible alert come through while on a call notifying me of a text. Its not super loud but is noticeable.

Here's a screenshot of my message settings.

asepa8un.jpg

Nothing though stands out as to which setting it is that makes it work.

otictac1

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for taking the time to look. My settings are configured exactly the same way. So weird that two people have it work but both of our G2s don't.

bdelio

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Very weird indeed. I actually did a video showing that it works but no need in posting it as it won't actually help you. I checked my call settings as well and nothing stands out there too.