Verizon LG G2 Kitkat upgrade and SMS issues

Auburntiger1856

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Since Kitkat upgrade, when I send a text using Google or Voice Mate, it will send the text but not show in the outgoing message. This happens with the stock messaging and third party (GoSMS, Hangouts, etc.) regardless of which I have set as the default SMS. However, if I use a third party assistant like Assistant or Sherpa to create and send the SMS, it does show in outgoing. Anyone else having this issue?

somenothingness

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the white, which many are finding issues with, I OTA updated. I have issues myself now. Just checking as to the method and color, as the color seems to have played a part in some owners upgrade ability.

rackumrack

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yep sms sucks and mms is non existent, I get failure to send and the circle of the Bermuda triangle spinning constantly

Big Pimpin' Big Red's LG G2

somenothingness

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
See, my sms and mms works fine. I think people are getting common issues but are just now finding out how common they are. So far, text, (my power button) and notifications seem to be the major gripes with KK.

UPDATE: I was wrong. My sms takes about 30-45 min to receive.

Last edited:

Auburntiger1856

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
It has to be something with the integrated LG system since it only happens using Google Now/Search and the integrated Voice Mate. I've tried other add on voice to text apps and they all show the outgoing message in all the sms apps I've tested. The Siri wanna be assistant apps do show the outgoing text, but are too inconsistent for me. I ended up loaded the old Google Search app and it enters the outgoing text and is pretty consistent. Text by Voice app also works great but it attaches a signature and costs $10 to remove that.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Updated last week, so for, the only issue I am having, is with text messages. Unless, of course, I use the stock messaging app.
So with the stock messaging app you have no issues, but when you use a third-party app you do?

KitKat only allows for one messaging app to be "default", and the default app can only do some things, like sending messages... if you want to switch the default app, go to Settings -> Tethering & Networks and scroll to the bottom, there is an option called "Default SMS app", tap it and select your messaging app. Note that some apps like Handcent and Textra (maybe more, I don't know personally) don't like the switch to KK from JB... Backup your SMS with SMS Backup & Restore (shouldn't need this really, but to be safe), set Messaging as the default app, go into Application Manager and clear data on all non-stock messaging apps then uninstall them, reboot the device, reinstall your messaging app, go into settings and make it default, then start the messaging app and see what happens. If you need to restore the backup, reset the default messaging app app (SMS BU&R will make you set it as the default app so it can write to the SMS database), and start it and be patient (if Hangouts go into SMS settings and import messages)... Depending on the number of messages you have it might take a while for them to show up, I have about 7000 messages currently and it takes about 5 minutes for them to initially show up in Hangouts after a full restore.

Remember only ONE app can be default, meaning only ONE app can send messages, no more bouncing between different SMS apps on the fly like in previous Android versions... it's a KitKat security "feature" and will not be "fixed" since it is not broken but by design.

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same issue. I'm not gonna wait for a fix for that. if I'm not getting texts I'm loosing money and I don't have time for that. went to t mobile got a s5 and never looked back

Posted via Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same issue. I'm not gonna wait for a fix for that. if I'm not getting texts I'm loosing money and I don't have time for that. went to t mobile got a s5 and never looked back

Posted via Android Central App

You should read the thread, and your solution is rediculous... It has nothing to do with receiving texts, but troubles sending them from multiple applications. An S5 won't fix that,nor will a different carrier, its a KitKat security change

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

somenothingness

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I got a replacement today. Immediately FDR upon powering on 3 times. Charged to 100% and left plugged into AC outlet while downloading update and installing update. Then FDR 3 more times. Everything is working so far. SMS sends and receives timely, tapping shade/pull-down bar turns off/on screen without going to date window, power button no longer ends call, BT works, battery is just as good as JB. I'm sure something will pop up, but so far, none of the usual gripes.

tceternity

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I've only had this phone for 3 days, and didnt have an issue until AFTER the update! My texts wont show at all using the stock messenger. I downloaded Textra, nothing. I downloaded Chomp, and it shows my sent, but I cant recieve anything. Do I really have to go as far as a factory reset?!

tm8703

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
So does anyone know if today's software update from Verizon fix the insanely annoying issue with LG G2 Kit Kat SMS messages?