Considering an LG

peterthorne

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks,

New to the forum, and considering getting an LG when my upgrade kicks in next week with Verizon. I have many questions about this phone, but first my background: I have an LG Lucid vs840 I've been using the past two years. It's been glitchy from the start. During this time, I switched from being a long time PC user to the Mac Air, and absolutely love it and never want to go back to windows.

With that in mind, I was leaning heavily towards an iphone for the first time. I love many things about them, and most of my friends have them and like them, but the iphone 5S has that small screen, and there are some other customizable features I'm used to from years with Androids that I'd like to have with a new phone as well. I guess I could wait until the fall when the supposed larger iphone 6 comes out, but I'm getting antsy and hating my current one.

Among the non-iphones, the G2 is piqued my interest considerably. It's a litttle bit bigger and heavier than I'd like, but at least my aging eyes can see things better and I can increase font sizes well too. It also feels familiar to me and easy to learn from my LG history, and the idea of a monster battery is extremely appealing after suffering constant battery anxiety for a long while now.

So, among my many questions, I'll start with this one: how is the messaging app on this phone? The one on my Lucid is sluggish and glitchy, and I'm afraid of experiencing this again with another LG phone. Anyone have any issues or problems with the G2 mesaging? (I'm not interested in loading third party apps to replace features that don't work well on my phone if I can help it, but would rather just buy a phone that works well with what it comes with.)

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
HI. Welcome to the forum. I sold my Iphone 5S for the G2 and couldn't be happier. The Verizon G2 has wireless charging which I really like. The screen is gorgeous and it has the most screen percentage vs phone face size of any phone. The OEM messaging app is very good. The camera is great and the call quality is super. I can't recommend it highly enough. The only small problem is that the G3 is supposed to be announced on May 17th( maybe) with a release possibly soon after that. I would try the G2. Good luck.

peterthorne

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey, thanks for replying. What was your history with iphone and what made you switch?

Which wireless charger do you use, and does it work with a case? I find the concept semi-intriguing (if not exactly 'wireless'), but don't want any lights or sounds while my phone is charging, even a small steady one. I've got too many things that stay lit all the time, and it's a pet peeve of mine.

I've heard of a coming G3, but nothing I saw suggested it was going to be lighter, have more battery, or be smaller. Those things might be worth waiting for, but if it's any bigger like I heard it might be, that's a drawkback to me. (Now the iphone 6 -- that might be worth waiting for!)

I'm just worried about how well things work as they are supposed to with android, and if they do so quickly and seemlessly like I suspect Apple does. A built scarred from my Lg lucid experiences, and phones before that. Glad you say the messaging app is good. Everything else work just as it's supposed to, all the time and every time?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Nothing on the G2 is sluggish. Amazing screen with thin bezel, great battery life (charge every other day), and useful software features (knock on/off, guest mode, quick memo, etc.). It also charges faster than most smartphone (~1-1.5 hrs).

The Android OS and apps are now very stable.

LG has recently gotten their act together and has been making great phones with good software and support. And the G2 is quite easy to set up.

Sent from my G2 running SOKP

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The G2 is an amazing phone, and I have had lots of smartphones over the years... It is very stable and usable, although the screen size is a tad large in my opinion, if I had to do it again I may have gotten it anyway, but using it one handed is a little tough at times, this is my only real complaint about it.

This phone uses standard QI charging, any QI charging pad should work fine. Note that many cases prevent the wireless charging from working so you would have to go "naked" to use it properly in many cases.

I did notice you "don't want any lights or sounds while my phone is charging"... Well, bone stock this phone makes lots of noise, every time it is connected, fully charged, and has lots of light functions, most of which can't be stopped in the stock ROM, but fortunately rooting and installing Xposed is pretty easy on this device and there are several G2 specific Xposed modules that allow for these "features" to be shut off.

Not trying to sway you away, it's a great device, but thought you should know if this is a major factor you.

Joseph Coates

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If you want smaller, you would have to go with the Moto X. Any of the flagship Android phones that would be competitive with Apple are large.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey, thanks for replying. What was your history with iphone and what made you switch?

Which wireless charger do you use, and does it work with a case? I find the concept semi-intriguing (if not exactly 'wireless'), but don't want any lights or sounds while my phone is charging, even a small steady one. I've got too many things that stay lit all the time, and it's a pet peeve of mine.

I've heard of a coming G3, but nothing I saw suggested it was going to be lighter, have more battery, or be smaller. Those things might be worth waiting for, but if it's any bigger like I heard it might be, that's a drawkback to me. (Now the iphone 6 -- that might be worth waiting for!)

I'm just worried about how well things work as they are supposed to with android, and if they do so quickly and seemlessly like I suspect Apple does. A built scarred from my Lg lucid experiences, and phones before that. Glad you say the messaging app is good. Everything else work just as it's supposed to, all the time and every time?

I've had an Iphone 4, 4s, 5 and 5S. Also had a Galaxy s3 and s4. So I am pretty familiar with both operating systems. There was nothing wrong with the 5S. It's a great phone. I had a chance to give it to my grandson and move on, which I did. The appeal of the G2 was its beautiful screen, wireless charging ( Verizon) and optical image stabilization, along with great battery life. All the apps I used on my Iphone 5 I found for the G2. In place of Notes, I use Evernote which automatically syncs, like Notes, from my MacBook Pro to my G2. The wireless charger I use is the one that is sold for the Samsung Galaxy S4. It has a small green light that is unobtrusive when charging. I selected it because it has a nice cradle that is slightly larger than the G2 and you just put the G2 on it, without worrying about slipping off a "hockey puck" type of charger. The light turns green when it starts charging. I have an Incipio Feather case, Verizon model, that I keep on it. It doesn't affect wireless charging at all. Good luck with your choices.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The G2 is one of my favorite smart phones of all times. I needed a phone to replace my Maxx HD. I got this little guy. Great phone. Then I needed a phone to replace our "House Phone" S3. That's how I ended up with a G2 and a HTC One M8. Both phones are by far better devices than the older Androids, but I still lean heavily towards my G2. If the M8 didn't take a nano SIM, it would have become my "House Phone" and I would have put the G2 back in service as my daily phone. I would have purchased another G2, but I got caught up in the excitement of the M8. Live and learn. I do plan on selling the M8 when the G3 comes out and picking up a G3. You might want to try and hold out for another 2 months for the G3. It'll have a 2k screen, although the screen on the G2 is beautiful. LG G3 specs, release date and price: everything we (think we) know Review | Stuff

As for iPhone, I've had a 4 and a 5. Both were just phones. Nothing special about them. They just worked. I was in your shoes last year. I hated my Original Razr Maxx after an update made it totally useless because of lag. I decided I was tired of it and went back to the iPhone 5. First, the screen is REALLY small. Then you can't do anything other than what Apple wants you to do. Also, a lot of the apps you're using on the Android are not on the iPhone, or you have to pay for them. I've got a MacBook Pro and love it. I have a iPad Air and love it. I had an iPhone 5 and loved it. However, I just wanted a smartphone that worked and it did just that. Eventually I missed the larger screen and ability to make changes to the Android environment.

If I was you, I'd stay with Android. If you don't, I'd bet you come back. The newer Android phones are not laggy and function better than any of the older phones you're used to.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000