Screen goes black on phone calls

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I did the update a couple of days ago and now my screen goes black when I make or receive a call.I can't use the dial pad for voicemail. Didn't do this before. Maybe a coincidence. I wouldn't think its the proximity sensor because it will do it while flat on my desk. It will not turn on till the caller hangs up.Even if I hit the power button.Is there something in the settings I'm missing?

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a Diztronic tpu case on it. But even if I take it off still does it. It can be laying on my desk and a call comes in and as soon as I touch the answer button it goes black till the caller hangs up. Also every once and awhile when I power the phone on the screen comes on for a second and then goes off. I can repeat this over and over until I power the phone off and then on. I may have to do a hard reset. Looking for something simple.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On another phone, I'd suggest booting into Recovery and wiping the system cache partition, but that's not possible if you're unrooted on the G2. Try booting into Safe Mode, to see if it's an app you installed that might be causing the problem. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's a system issue. Safe mode: LG G2 | T-Mobile Support

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Might be time to contact LG, and let them know that the update seems to have caused the problem.

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok. By just dumb luck and frustration I've found the problem. Must have been a coincidence with the update. When making a call the screen goes black. Then while on the call squeeze the top of the screen the screen comes on. Let go screen goes off. I'm guessing the proximity sensor is loose?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It sure sounds like some connection is loose. If you're under warranty, contact LG and describe that to them. If the warranty is expired, then bring the phone into a repair shop (or a local LG service shops, if nearby) and show them.

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I think it is an issue with the latest update and the proximity sensor. I'm having the same behavior. Wiping across the proximity sensor seems to fix if for me (I'm not pressing it, just wiping across it). I wonder if the acting of touching the proximity sensor is what is fixing it for you as well, rather than the pressing.

Here's another thread of someone who's had the same issue since the last update:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-lg-g2/437405-new-update-messes-proximity-sensor.html

jbh46

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I have had this same problem intermittently since purchasing a Moto X. I have found that almost any time I load a new app on the phone the problem starts again and by powering down and powering back up the problem goes away.

xr6

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I to am having the proximity issues. If I flash back to a firmware before 26 A using the Lg flash tool, it works fine.but when it goes through to the natural updating process through verizon to 26 A, same problem re occurs. i have notified Lg and I was lucky in that although I was about a month passed the warranty time, they are going to fix it for me. even though I told them its more likely a software issue, i couldn't convince them of that , so I guess Ill see where this leads. I have to add that all the SH!t verizon gets regarding being expensive and late with updates and stuff, I have to give them kodos on this one because it was through there insistence with lg that they pushed the warranty through for me. Although I could have stayed on 12a or b or 24 A it didnt sit rgiht with me that a 700 buck phone should have such a serious issue.

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Just an update. I took it to a local repair shop since it was not under warranty. He exchanged the sensor with another one that he knew worked. Same result. He noticed that the screen stuck out on the top left side. That's why pushing in on it worked. He re glued or taped the screen and it worked fine for awhile. Now it's back to the way it was. He said that the frame is a little bit off and the screen doesn't fit flush. It's been dropped a few times. Probably my fault. I'll just live with it.

archangel849

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Had the same issue. I could lightly press the area where the sensor was at, and it would work. But continued to have the issue. Called VZW, went through a factory reset, still would not work right. I was 3 days prior to my warranty going out. VZW sent me a new phone overnight. New Breed called and said the proximity sensor was defective. So it was covered under warranty. So far so good on my new device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ananui