Lollipop Battery Life

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
How has battery life been for your since updating to Lollipop?

Abysmal. In the last hour I lost about 45% just listening to an audio podcast with the screen dark. Even plugging in to a known good 2A charge merely slows the rate f drop. We've been had!

hkj324

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
When I got the Lollipop 5.0 for my Nexus 7 (2012) it totally 'killed' my tablet. After 4 reformats I finally got things close to 'normal'...and left al but about 5 apps, of any type, OFF my tablet.
Now, thinking that maybe the Lollipop 5.1 might be something that 'fixed' battery issues, I STUPIDLY downloaded that and now I am back to the 'screwed up Nexus 7 (2012)'. Now, all I have to do is play solitaire for 1-2 hours and the battery is 75% drained....and now it takes 36+ HOURS to REcharge on a RAPID charger!
Have I mentioned how MUCH I hate and despise Google here lately??? It is time for a new tablet and I can promise you, I won't be buying one with the Google name on it! If you know of any ways to 'fix' the battery issues, I sure could use some help.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Abysmal. In the last hour I lost about 45% just listening to an audio podcast with the screen dark. Even plugging in to a known good 2A charge merely slows the rate f drop. We've been had!
You need to factory reset... Something went wrong in the update process, whenever a major code occurs, and KitKat to Lollipop is a huge change, things can go wrong. Factory reset should clear up the issue. My battery life is on par with when we were on Jelly Bean, meaning excellent.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Just spent 30 minutes on the phone with the V rep. Apparently the GPS runs ALL THE TIME now...so I was instructed to turn off Location...meaning toggle it on and off myself whenever I want to use my weather app or Maps. Uggh. ALso was instructed to turn off Google Now cards. ALso Amazon App store auto-updates. This is miserable. KK could manage this and Lollipop can't? Unbelievable. I really don't have the hour that a factory reset would take. F! This!

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
You need to factory reset... Something went wrong in the update process, whenever a major code occurs, and KitKat to Lollipop is a huge change, things can go wrong. Factory reset should clear up the issue. My battery life is on par with when we were on Jelly Bean, meaning excellent.

Post factory reset charge rate...400.jpg

Prior to factory reset charge rate...1653.jpg

Neither one is going to work. They're sending me another used phone. We'll see how that goes tomorrow! Not holding my breath.

Posted via the Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just spent 30 minutes on the phone with the V rep. Apparently the GPS runs ALL THE TIME now...so I was instructed to turn off Location...meaning toggle it on and off myself whenever I want to use my weather app or Maps. Uggh. ALso was instructed to turn off Google Now cards. ALso Amazon App store auto-updates. This is miserable. KK could manage this and Lollipop can't? Unbelievable. I really don't have the hour that a factory reset would take. F! This!

The rep you spoke to is an id10t... The GPS doesn't run all the time in JB, KK, or Lollipop, unless an app is requesting precise location. Now, if an app request precise location and the phone can't get a GPS lock, it might stay on for awhile, but not forever. Also, the automatic updates for the Amazon App store is an Amazon default, and can be disabled in the settings of the App, this does not occur unless you have put your Amazon credentials in the App.

The correct answer here is as I stated previously, something went awry during the update process, you need to do the factory reset to get things back to "normal", then disable the Amazon App Store (and if you like, the 20+ other useless apps loaded by Verizon), and you will likely be happy with your phone again.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm about to do FDR. I have always had it set to "Backup My Data" and AUtomatic Restore" How does the retore happen...automatically?

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
OK, it's loading apps now...but when I did the upgrade it said it was optimizing 174 apps...now it says it's restoring 140 apps...I wonder what I'm going to lose? Does it recreate your homescreens too?

LGG2droid

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
This is how my update to 5.0 went. (Verizon's tech help sucks btw - wasted and hour of my time yesterday!)

Phone: LG G2
I attempted Android ver. 5 (lollipop) from Verizon today. It is a 2 part upgrade. Part 1 seemed to work. Part 2 did not. I see my same And ver 4.4.2 is still there In About Phone, Software Info., VS98028A is also still there. It should be VS98039A I believe. Also, when I go to Settings, General, System Updates it gives the error message: "Unfortunately, Settings has Stopped" and will not allow me to update any software. The phone is functional but is locked in this configuration. Does anyone know how to get this Verizon update to work?

thanks for any suggestions

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know i the app data restore comes AFTER all the apps are restored? It said it restored One Note but when I launched it it didn't log me in but instead asked for my login and password. I thought backing up app data was supposed to restore all that....

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
ABsolutely NO f'ing app data came back. Having to recreaqte my home screens from memory and re-login to f'ing everything. C'mon google...make us believe the big lie? This is miserable.

jimecv

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
We shouldn't have to do a factory reset! That will take hours to reload everything. Hours to just get everything back to the way it was.I don't have any spare time anyway. Besides that, verizon or google needs to hurry up and issue a patch or update ASAP!!!

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
A patch for what? The only common issue among all of us is that each of our phones have different 3rd party apps. I hope your issues resolve, but loading such a sizeable OS on top of KK with apps that have not been updated by some will likely cause problems if they aren't compatible. Its a pain to Reset, but it is far less time than dealing with problems for days or weeks that ultimately leads to reset. And if you do reset, do it before you update. I had to restore to stock then do all the updates, but I'm glad I did. Its working great.

LGG2droid

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
A patch for what? The only common issue among all of us is that each of our phones have different 3rd party apps. I hope your issues resolve, but loading such a sizeable OS on top of KK with apps that have not been updated by some will likely cause problems if they aren't compatible. Its a pain to Reset, but it is far less time than dealing with problems for days or weeks that ultimately leads to reset. And if you do reset, do it before you update. I had to restore to stock then do all the updates, but I'm glad I did. Its working great.

You are making excuses for a poorly written software upgrade. The upgrade should be able to identify apps that are not compatible and leave them out of the upgrade if necessary, along with a little notification afterward to let you know which apps were causing the problem. Just my opinion.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
You are making excuses for a poorly written software upgrade. The upgrade should be able to identify apps that are not compatible and leave them out of the upgrade if necessary, along with a little notification afterward to let you know which apps were causing the problem. Just my opinion.
Every phone that I follow (i follow a lot for several carriers) has required a factory reset after going to lollipop other than the T-Mobile note 3. The forums are all full of people complaining about issues, and other people living happily ever after after a factory reset.

Complain, get frustrated, post horror stories. Or just do a factory reset and be done with it. Those are the only choices when moving to lollipop.

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site

A lot of folks sit here and complain there is no Lollipop. When it comes, they still aren't happy because it isn't perfect. Nothing is perfect in life. But I can guarantee you that if you have issues it will more appropriately be dealt with and accepted as an "issue" if it is after a reset. As the post above, and I have said, sit here and complain or try a reset. If you're a Google account holder, all of your apps history is there to reinstall. Think of it it like this though, since I had this very issue the other day.... I downloaded the LG VZW drivers and it wouldn't take. No matter where I tried to install it from. It want until I got rid of the complete LG folder and reinstalled that I finally got it to work. Sometimes, files get embedded with crap and writing over them do absolutely no good. Ya just gotta get rid of it and start fresh. You'd think we were farther along technology wise, but we aren't.

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Nothing is perfect in life. But I can guarantee you that if you have issues it will more appropriately be dealt with and accepted as an "issue" if it is after a reset. As the post above, and I have said, sit here and complain or try a reset. ... Ya just gotta get rid of it and start fresh. You'd think we were farther along technology wise, but we aren't.

Could not disagree more. After 3 resets I bitched loud enough to have vzw send me a 'new' phone. I went from 70 minutes of screen on time back up to 200 and total battery life of 27+ hrs instead of 7. But after a month, I got curious and installed 1.0 back on my phone. SSDD. Now I go to bed with a 50 % charge (after recharging during the day) and my phone is dead before my alarm in the AM.

I have installed 2 or 3 apps, leaving everything else off to try to get this to work. This is BS.

Google should be ashamed.

As far as 'technology hasn't advanced that far...'. Open your eyes.

dmproske

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone found a mobile charger that will charge at its full rate? Weather its 1amp or 2amp I don't care, anything is better than the trickle charge I have now.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
It's about time to circle back. When I first updated the battery life was about 4 hours. I performed a FDR. This imporved things. Not right away but it gradually got better. It has yet to reach the level of battery conservation it had prior to the update. As it exists now, I have to be sure that I have a means of chrging it throughout the day...either at my desk at work with a wall charger or with a mobile battery such as one of the Anker units. Still periodically the phone goes into what I call a "battery free-fall" where the battery drops precipitously at a rate of losing about 1-3% per minute. The only fix for that seems to be to shut the phone down completely and then power it back up. Seems to interrupt whatever is pounding on the battery. Another strange thing is that often, a 2 amp charger cannot overcome just using the phone. For example, I have a video podcast playing, lo-res, screen brightness around 50%, and the phone plugged in to a 2.1 amp wall charger. The phone is LOSING battery...not fast, but it IS losing, not gaining as one would expect with a 2.1 amp charger. If anyone has a fix for this I'm all ears...and before you post, yes, my screen brightness is turned down, notification in apps are dialed back to almost nothing, app updates are at a minimum rate per time period. The only thing could be that the callular signal is crap in my office...it wasn't always. All I could ever get was 3G but that's due to a 3G repeater in the basement here at the hospital. In short, I like the way Lollipop looks and acts, with the exception of it's craptastic battery performance. I really want my battery life back...hauling around a battery pack sucks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc