Wifi slow

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Why is my wifi slow? I noticed it a few weeks or a month ago and it's getting real bad. With data on all the time, its very fast. I have unlimited data still which is why it doesn't kill me. Just need to see if anyone else has this problem and know why.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Check your router. If wifi encryption is set to TKIP or TKIP+AES, try changing it to AES. (Then forget the connection and try again.) If that still doesn't help, set it to open (no password). Forget the connection and try again.

The specs are getting looser and some phones don't work well with some routers with TKIP (and some don't work well even with pure AES - Linksys, normally the best router, is the biggest problem in this area.)

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the Comcast Wireless Gateway and my phone works faster on the signal that is free for the public. The signal that I use that is secure is slow.

Gleadogg

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
EXACT same problem. Even down to the faster speed with the "free for guests" wifi and slower with my assigned wifi (Xfinity).

Seemed to start with the Lollipop 5.0 update. Just waiting for the fix.

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Not happy with this. It's just crazy that it works better on the other wifi. Should be the other way around.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Rukbat answered the question to your problem... If it is a slow connection on your secure setting and fast on the guest, then it is due to the encryption settings on your router. Changing browsers will make no difference whatsoever.

David

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
How can I fix it?

Access the setup page for your router at home from a regular computer... not your phone. Your internet provider should have provided you with an instruction guide for how to change your settings.

Find the routers wireless security settings and change the encryption settings to AES. Save the settings and reboot the router.

David

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Access the setup page for your router at home from a regular computer... not your phone. Your internet provider should have provided you with an instruction guide for how to change your settings.

Find the routers wireless security settings and change the encryption settings to AES. Save the settings and reboot the router.

David

This the one?Screenshot (14) - Copy.png

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

Yup. LOL... Like your access point name.

However, looks like it is already set to AES. Just for kicks and giggles, turn off wifi security (temporarily) and see if your problem goes away. If so, then the problem is probably related to the encryption key/encryption used in the wireless security.

If that works, turn security back on and use a password with numbers and letters only. IIRC, back a while ago, some phones (a moto RAZR MAXX that I had) had issues with complex wifi passwords.

Give it a try.

David

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Yup. LOL... Like your access point name.

However, looks like it is already set to AES. Just for kicks and giggles, turn off wifi security (temporarily) and see if your problem goes away. If so, then the problem is probably related to the encryption key/encryption used in the wireless security.

If that works, turn security back on and use a password with numbers and letters only. IIRC, back a while ago, some phones (a moto RAZR MAXX that I had) had issues with complex wifi passwords.

Give it a try.

David

I set it to the AES. I called Verizon and they said they never heard of this issue wit the G2.

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
My SLOW wifi is now cured of its snail like speed. Just hoping the fix I found does not cause any other issues. Will get back with my results later. But so far it is back to very fast like it was before Lollipop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance