No dual core?

J T M

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I have to say i was pretty excited when i saw this phone, but then i come to find out it does not have dual core. Talk about heartbreak. I want to love this phone, but not having dual-core kinda sucks.

What does everyone else think?

makav3ll1

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
None of the phones shown at CES have dual core but the Bionic, pretty insane. Dont make the processor deter you from a phone. 1 GHZ is fast enough to do anything you want and more, run any game, and do anything, if it was bad all phones would be getting 2ghz, not just one.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking that this was Verizon's version of the LG Star/Optimus 2X with the Tegra 2 dual core. But now I see that it's only single core. Bummer. Like the Thunderbolt, I'm sure it's fast. But, with the Optimus 2X already announced, I figured it would be the same.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
None of the phones shown at CES have dual core but the Bionic, pretty insane. Dont make the processor deter you from a phone. 1 GHZ is fast enough to do anything you want and more, run any game, and do anything, if it was bad all phones would be getting 2ghz, not just one.

Don't put out false information. The Revolution, Optimus 2X, Atrix, Bionic and Xoom all have Tegra 2.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Eloquence

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Don't put out false information. The Revolution, Optimus 2X, Atrix, Bionic and Xoom all have Tegra 2.

Sorry, the LG Revolution doesn't. Every other one of those you mentioned does.

Here's my proof:

According to Sascha Segan at PCMag.com LG Revolution doesn't have Tegra 2. Click here

Also CNET says the Revolution 4G will not have it either. Click Here

I'm gonna go with these guys. They've talked to the LG Reps. Plus LG would've have said that at CES as a selling point to the public. Frankly, I'm quite disappointed. If I want Tegra 2 and Verizon LTE -- I have to go Bionic :(

That. Sucks.
-Elo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I like the phone, looks nice, and from what i hear LG limited thier UI and looks to be close to an android experience.

Coming from an Eris I think I will be more than happy with that phone. Issue is will it be good enough for 2 years with the new upgrade changes Verizon is making.....

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I like the phone, looks nice, and from what i hear LG limited thier UI and looks to be close to an android experience.

Coming from an Eris I think I will be more than happy with that phone. Issue is will it be good enough for 2 years with the new upgrade changes Verizon is making.....

May not necessarily be the case. Most of the videos showed what appeared to be a near stock launcher and slightly modified notification bar but this one shows a more touchwiz-esque interface YouTube - LG Revolution on Verizon Hands on at CES 2011

crome1115#IM

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
well ok so the new phones dont have dual core processors.. doesnt really matter as gingerbread will not be capable of utilizing them anyway.. Honeycomb will but thats not coming to phones for some time and by the time it does, the phones will be up to par..so the fact that the bionic will have a dual core processor is kind of pointless when the OS isnt capable of utilizing all that the tegra 2 can do..just my 2c

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
So does that mean that Froyo doesn't actually use both cores or does it mean that none of the software available uses both cores either at all, or in an efficient manner?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It might not have dual core, but doesn't it have the NOVA display? That's a great selling point by itself.

And even though Android isn't optimized for dual core (except for Honeycomb) it still kills the benchmarks. And with tegra zone there will be plenty of optimized games for the tegra 2 chips in these phones and tablets.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So does that mean that Froyo doesn't actually use both cores or does it mean that none of the software available uses both cores either at all, or in an efficient manner?

It uses both of them, but it's up to the chip to do it's own power management. (I.E. underclock when it's not doing anything).

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
It should also be up to the OS to schedule which core gets which process. WIth the word that Froyo is not optimized for dual-core, this is what it means -- Froyo can't assign specific processes to a specific core. And Honeycomb apparently can. For instance, if there are two processes that can be run independently (i.e, are not dependent on each other), an optimized OS can have one core run one process and the other core run the other simultaneously. A non-optimized OS will have to run these processes sequentially.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
To clarify, it's not the "OS" (the overall collection of programs) that handles the multiple cores, but more specifically the kernel (the brain that handles requests for hardware, like for processing resources). I have to wonder if some of our favorite hackers can hack up custom kernels for us. Would be nice to have multi-core kernels for gingerbread.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
well ok so the new phones dont have dual core processors.. doesnt really matter as gingerbread will not be capable of utilizing them anyway.. Honeycomb will but thats not coming to phones for some time and by the time it does, the phones will be up to par..so the fact that the bionic will have a dual core processor is kind of pointless when the OS isnt capable of utilizing all that the tegra 2 can do..just my 2c

Its funny how people think they know this stuff. If that was true this phone wouldn't have scored 2600 in Quadrant. The software doesn't need to be coded with dual-cores in mind.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
To clarify, it's not the "OS" (the overall collection of programs) that handles the multiple cores, but more specifically the kernel (the brain that handles requests for hardware, like for processing resources). I have to wonder if some of our favorite hackers can hack up custom kernels for us. Would be nice to have multi-core kernels for gingerbread.

When I refer to the operating system, I include the kernel as part of it. But, I'm a PC guy, not a mobile phone guy. Maybe the terminology is different.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
When I refer to the operating system, I include the kernel as part of it. But, I'm a PC guy, not a mobile phone guy. Maybe the terminology is different.

You weren't wrong (and I don't claim to be an expert), I was just thinking that people do make custom kernels, so it seems conceivable that we could have custom multi-core kernels for Android if Goog doesn't release them themselves first.

I'm just taking everyone's word for it that the present kernels are, in fact, not able to support multiple cores.

Reactions: DolfanCole

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The kernel is the link between the OS and the hardware. Theoretically a custom kernel could be made that would take better advantage of dual core chips. Kinda like how the EVO has a million different kernels, and some give better performance while others better battery life.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Even without specific multicore programming Android does speed up with more than one core because it uses true, full multitasking. It just does not speed up as much as an OS written for multicore would.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
May not necessarily be the case. Most of the videos showed what appeared to be a near stock launcher and slightly modified notification bar but this one shows a more touchwiz-esque interface YouTube - LG Revolution on Verizon Hands on at CES 2011

The CES models did NOT have a finished UI, but the Revolution WILL have a custom LG UI when it comes to market.

Also, the Revolution, like the Thunderbolt, has the newest Snapdragon processor and Qualcomm chipset.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm