Note 3 proximity sensor issue during calls

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
This was happening to an user in the Galaxy S4 forum. It is also happening to my Note3:
I'm trying to figure out if I have a hardware or a software problem, and I'm leaning toward a software bug.

I noticed that when making a call the screen blanks out when putting it up to my ear, but it doesn't turn back on again until I hit a physical button. I played around with the test mode (*#0*#) and found out that the proximity sensor activates fine, but after I remove the phone from my ear the readout keeps saying "PROXIMITY: 1" and the phone keep vibrating/the screen stays green. The ADC counts go down to normal levels, though. It implies to me that the sensor itself is working OK, but the software filter that looks at the value isn't working correctly.

Could someone else with a Note3 dial *#0*#, run the sensor test, and pay attention to the Proximity section as they put their hand over the screen and remove it? I really want to know what the PROXIMITY value does when the hand is removed and if the phone stops vibrating

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note3 proximity sensor issue during calls

Do you have a case or a screen protector? Sometimes these will interfere with the proximity detector after it has been activated during a phone call.

TeamPowerstroke

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

This what mine looks like with hand in front of sensor and off of sensor.

Tappin From My N3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381808124548.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381808124548.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 285
  • uploadfromtaptalk1381808139676.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381808139676.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 285

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

Do you have a case or a screen protector? Sometimes these will interfere with the proximity detector after it has been activated during a phone call.

No case.mine is naked...

I can't figure out why is acting up

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

This what mine looks like with hand in front of sensor and off of sensor.

Tappin From My N3

So when you put your hand over sensor, it turns green. But when you remove the hand does it go back to normal?

Can you please check to see if the sensor works during an actual call?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Another thing to try is to make sure the proximity sensor and vicinity are nice and clean. If it's dirty enough, it's conceivable that the sensor could be affected.

TeamPowerstroke

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

So when you put your hand over sensor, it turns green. But when you remove the hand does it go back to normal?

Thanks

Correct when I put my hand over it. Goes Green and soon as I remove back to white. And same thing for in calls when I pull the phone away from my face screen lights up as normal.

Tappin From My N3

change6688

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem. It started yesterday randomly. Did you manage to find a solution. It's so annoying.

Deaj

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I'm getting the same result. *#0*#, proximity sensor test: move hand over sensor and screen turns green / phone vibrates. Move hand away from sensor and green / vibrate condition persists. ADC does register change in proximity however. Strange.

This will no doubt be resolved in a future update.

zavod

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site

I've seen this problem too.

Possibly coincidentally, but it's happened to me twice, both calls coming from numbers NOT in my contacts. When I tried to reproduce it or received calls from people in my contacts, it behaved just fine.

Two cases:
case 1) Telemarker called. I moved the phone away from my head and the screen didn't come back from black for me to hang up. I tried all the hardware buttons, screen tapping, etc., and the screen stayed black. I was about to pop out the battery when the screen came back. Perhaps 15 seconds of non-responsiveness.

case 2) A Rogers rep called to ask how my new phone was doing. (Ironic!) At the end of the call the other person forgot to hang up. (I could still hear her voice in the background). My screen stayed black for several minutes this time. Nothing I did was able to bring it back from the black screen. I tried covering it, exposing it to bright light, etc., to jog the sensor. I tried holding down the power button for 5 seconds, nothing. I yelled into the phone and the person heard me and came back on. She suggested I call *611 right away to resolve the problem. She hung up and my phone came back to life.

I called Rogers and they suggested: Do a Factory Data Reset. Then if that doesn't solve the problem, return it and get a new phone. NOTE: I'm still on my 15 day return period... But the bad news is I haven't been able to repro this problem at will. The Rogers guy said with confidence that it's not related to the incoming caller being in my contacts or not.

So I'm mid reset. <sigh> Fingers crossed.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

Thanks

I tried the test and everything worked as normal, I suppose. The screen was white and the ADC value was zero when my hand wasn't in front of the screen. When I put my hand over the screen, the screen turned green, started vibrating and the ADC value went into the hundreds. When I removed my hand, the screen went white, the vibrating stopped and the ADC value went back to zero.

I called myself from another phone. The screen went dark when I put the phone up to my ear and the screen lit back up when I took the phone away from my ear. I did not hang up on the phone that I called from and I ended the call on my Note 3.

I have a T-Mobile Note 3. Let me know if any other information is important to you that I didn't include here.

change6688

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
It looks like a software issue. By dialing *#0*# The test sensor accurately reads the distance between the phone and an object. It just doesn't identify that it needs to adjust the screen.

For now I have turned off the screen black out feature until there is an update. I switch the screen off manually when I make a call by pressing the lock button. All of the buttons work ok during the call. A bit annoying but its a work around until they fix it

change6688

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

I called Rogers and they suggested: Do a Factory Data Reset. Then if that doesn't solve the problem, return it and get a new phone. NOTE: I'm still on my 15 day return period... But the bad news is I haven't been able to repro this problem at will. The Rogers guy said with confidence that it's not related to the incoming caller being in my contacts or not.

So I'm mid reset. <sigh> Fingers crossed.

How did the reset go? Any luck in getting the sensor to work?

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

I tried the test and everything worked as normal, I suppose. The screen was white and the ADC value was zero when my hand wasn't in front of the screen. When I put my hand over the screen, the screen turned green, started vibrating and the ADC value went into the hundreds. When I removed my hand, the screen went white, the vibrating stopped and the ADC value went back to zero.

I called myself from another phone. The screen went dark when I put the phone up to my ear and the screen lit back up when I took the phone away from my ear. I did not hang up on the phone that I called from and I ended the call on my Note 3.

I have a T-Mobile Note 3. Let me know if any other information is important to you that I didn't include here.

Thanks for testing. After trying a couple of things, including a reset, I called T-Mobile and they sent me a replacement. I got my new Note 3 today and is working as intended. It was definitely an issue with the first Note 3 I had.

I'm happy again!

Bojit

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Had that problem. I was about to take it back to T-Mobile. Then I removed the screen protector and cleaned the top sensor. It went back to normal. Whenever that happens, I just wipe the top sensor and the screen goes back. Quite annoying because that does not happen to my IPhone 5C.

WillYammer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

I had an issue with my proximity sensor. Called Verizon tech support. They took me through a few steps. Asked me if I had a screen protector. I said no, but I hadn't removed the plastic protector the phone is shipped with. Removed that and it works fine. Doh!

Bernard Ho

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

Got the EXACT same issue. Went to Bell, got it replaced because it was within the 15 days exchange policy.

Guess what, it happened a 2nd time with the brand new phone after 3 days again...

I thought I was screwed.

I read a bit more on a few more forum posts.

Guess what. It is as SIMPLE as blowing hard on the earpiece to get away the little dust that got inside of the screen, in front of the proximity sensor and screws it up.

Just blew on it (a guy did it with a air spray can, I just blew hard), and it is working fine again !

GRRRRRRR! 3 hours to find out that so trivial solution...

so, not a software issue, just some super fine dust inside the screen just in front of the proximity sensor lens can screw it up.

Deaj

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

So upon further testing I have been able to affect the sensor function by blowing air into the earpiece, but only intermittently. I can sometimes get it to begin functioning normally only to have it return to the initial symptom (turns screen off the first time I bring phone to my ear on an active call, screen doesn't turn back on when I move phone away from my ear). Trying several times to restore function by blowing air into the earpiece I have seen three different results:
No change from initial symptom as described above, temporary restoration or proper sensor function, and sensor always active (screen turns off as soon as a call goes active as if phone is already to my ear).

Looks like it's time to return mine for a replacement. :(

dallasfever

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Yep i have the same issue... Google is so smart. I didn't know what to type to find this issue. It found the topic on the first try! Anyhow Yea...... I was wondering if others are having this issue as i am as well. I would never return the phone as i figured it affects all. Phone is so new and expensive the response rate to bugs and fixes is a little slower then the Note 2. About to try canned air and see what happens.

EDIT: Cleaned the front of the phone at the top by the sensors. Sure enough it started back working. I left the phone to my ear for a few minutes and it stopped working. I then cleaned the sensor area again while the call was going on and the sensors started back working. Seems as if samsung need to adjust the sensor software. Unless i have a dirty ear "I DONT THINK SO" I used a micro cloth "dust free" to clean sensor area each time for the test.