Note 3 proximity sensor issue during calls

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note3 proximity sensor issue during calls

I have a related issue not with the sensor that is fine, however upon making and recieving calls the settings menu opens and also during calls, does anyone know of this issue? And can it be fixed?

Posted via Android Central App

neophile13

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

I've had the same issue, been searching for a thread to prove I wasn;t alone.

Mine started happening right away, maybe from day one, and I've also noted that if I have called an automated service, where I need to turn the screen on to enter numbers, the screen then doesn't turn back off, but stays on the entire call. Also, I've noted that the motion sensor tweaks are also not working properly, which is why I first assumed it was the proximity sensor; tried answering a call by waving my hand over the screen, nothing, and it's hit and miss with the wave to get the notification screen.

Guess I'll call rogers, see what they'll offer me; though I'm well past their return policy.....

David Jellison

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

I have had this same issue on 2 note 3's now, The firstone i was able to return with inthe 15 days of purchase.
After about 8 days of using the phone (no cover) I would notice the proximity sensor stop working.
This has been the same on both devices, now i am unable to return it only warianty repair.
the values you asked about uncovered i get 180 covered I get a little over 1000. Only if i shine a bright led flashlight directly over the sensor will i get the screen to turn white (light detected).

David Jellison

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

After performing a full wipe and reset on the phone with Samsung support they want me to send it in for evaluation and repair. I read some other posts on other forms (XDA) that talk about possible dust collecting under the glass in front of the sensor causing this, and compressed air in the ear piece should clear it up. This worked for me today.
This is looking more like a design/manufacturing oversight. Providing proper dust protection for sensors that play this large of a role in the normal operations of the phone should be high priority.
Without this Air gestures don't work either. I know how to resolve this now, the big question now, Is this going to be a weekly issue?

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

After performing a full wipe and reset on the phone with Samsung support they want me to send it in for evaluation and repair. I read some other posts on other forms (XDA) that talk about possible dust collecting under the glass in front of the sensor causing this, and compressed air in the ear piece should clear it up. This worked for me today.
This is looking more like a design/manufacturing oversight. Providing proper dust protection for sensors that play this large of a role in the normal operations of the phone should be high priority.
Without this Air gestures don't work either. I know how to resolve this now, the big question now, Is this going to be a weekly issue?
Yes.... this is just a work around that for me doesn't do any thing. I am on my second brand new phone and the problem still there.

David Jellison

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

Yes.... this is just a work around that for me doesn't do any thing. I am on my second brand new phone and the problem still there.

When I talked with Samsung support they indicated they were not aware of this being a problem. Perhaps it's time to send in messages and requests for support to Samsung. This seems like a design/manufacturing issue that can be addressed in manufacturing.

Deaj

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. I'll be sending Samsung support a message as well.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

When I talked with Samsung support they indicated they were not aware of this being a problem. Perhaps it's time to send in messages and requests for support to Samsung. This seems like a design/manufacturing issue that can be addressed in manufacturing.
Same here, I did contacted Samsung support the day before I exchanged my phone and I have the transcripts which I used for Tmobile when I called them for an exchanged. So at least Samsung is starting to get notified by different people about this problem.

Algotz

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

I need to dubbletap the spacebar after almost every word, I can't hold the phone with two hands, if my fingers even comes close to the proximity sensor on the samsung galaxy note 3, the screen gets black, support told me to restore to factory settings, so that's what I'm going to do now.I'm new to Android, this is not a very good experience.

Manlyboy

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

For now I have turned off the screen black out feature until there is an update. I switch the screen off manually when I make a call by pressing the lock button. All of the buttons work ok during the call. A bit annoying but its a work around until they fix it

I've had to do the same thing but being very new to smart phones I'm not certain what effect this will have. What's the problem with having the screen 'unblanked' when using the phone?

Manlyboy

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

As a matter of interest, this is happening when I use my Gear to make/receive calls. I've never actually used the Note 3 to make/receive calls - at least not yet.
I'm not to sure the blow job fixes the problem - perhaps is the proximity of the lips/air can :)

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I've had to do the same thing but being very new to smart phones I'm not certain what effect this will have. What's the problem with having the screen 'unblanked' when using the phone?
When the screen is black it will save battery in the long run and the screen does not gets hot from being on all the time while you are making a call.

denialnw10

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I am having exactly the same issue as you guys. Definitely a manufacturing fault.

I have emailed technical support and will post the reply from Samsung here when I get it.

I paid ?620 for this top of the range phone... I didn't think I would have to deal with anything like this! My previous Galaxy Note (OG) was perfect. I hope this issue gets resolved some how.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for testing. After trying a couple of things, including a reset, I called T-Mobile and they sent me a replacement. I got my new Note 3 today and is working as intended. It was definitely an issue with the first Note 3 I had.

I'm happy again!

Posted via Android Central App

Hoping I am not busting any bubble here, but Tmobile didn't send you a new one..

I am with Tmobile, and I thought I had a issue, So, I am/was within my 20 day return period, and they told me I could send it back, and they will send me another one. Told me to keep the battery and the back cover! WTF... I told them I wasn't keeping nothing, I wanted a brand new Note 3. They told me the only way I could get a brand new Note 3 is to return the one I have for a refund, and then purchase again.. BTW, they call the period the "remorse period"... Of course I declined that, and the issue I was having "WiFi" seemed everybody was having a problem with the WifI calling. I turned off Wifi, issue gone. I got unlimted, and everybody states that a software fix will remedy the Wifi issue.

tns12

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Agreed. I'll be sending Samsung support a message as well.
i also have the same problem in SA and after the update the problem seems worse and all Samsung said i have to send phone in. sheesh

ED
i tried a bright on it and the screen went nuts, a workaround is not use the power button to end calls then it becomes a on/off screen button during calls.

Last edited:

David Jellison

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

For me, I carry my phone in my pocket and I have to blow out the proximity sensor via the ear piece about once a week. Very annoying. Samsung did offer to evaluate/repair the phone but unless they have a "real fix" not just more blowing the dust out, I will hold off.
This is from a related form talking about same issues.

bearda

Global Posts
215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tatouille View Post
I finally had to disassemble the phone, in order to blow directly on the sensor, because even with a can of air, the dust didn't go away when blowing by the speaker holes, but now it's alright.

Thank you very much again for the tip.

Now I'll have to find a solution for the dust not to go inside again...
From the looks of the assembly there should be some kind of felt ring around the speaker to go flush up against the glass. I've never taken it apart to be sure, but my guess would be that on some units the assembly isn't holding tight up against the glass or that felt isn't thick enough and the dust escapes to the nearby proximity sensor. If you're willing to take the phone apart I'd look into what can be done to make sure that contact is as tight as possible, and either putting a spacer in (more felt, etc) or angling the earpiece so it's flush.

When you did take apart the phone was there a noticeable amount of dust in there? I'm curious how much it takes to **** off the sensor.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

My kid thought I was crazy last night. I was on the phone and I moved the phone from my ear to my waist about 30 times in a row in a 2 min span.. She asked me if everything was OK, lol. Told her I was testing something, anyway, the screen came on and off instantly every time.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I went to BB and tried all the N3s they had on display. None showed this issue at all.

i'm pretty convinced that it's the fault of the screen protector I have on, but I don't want to take it off to test. Anyone have this issue that doesn't have a screen protector on?

The issue I see is if you test the proximity sensor, with nothing in front of it; it will be in the 100 range for ADC. Put your hand over the sensor, and the screen turns green and will start to vibrate. Remove hand and the screen is still green and vibrating.

On all the phones I tested at BB, the ADC is in the 0~10 range before you put your hand over it. Put your hand over, the screen turns green and starts to vibrate. Remove hand, and ADC goes back down to the 0~10 range and screen is returned to normal.

powdersuber

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

My note 3 just starting doing this too. It's 16 days old today, worked fine until two days ago. Thought it was just a setting. I have no screen protector and the phone is super clean.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7