Verizon Note 3 LTE Interoperable on AT&T LTE Bands

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So to clarify: If I purchase an unlocked note 3 or one that is locked to Verizon, can I get a SIM card from ATT to use on my husband's share plan for a few months until we both switch to Verizon? Not traveling anywhere outside the midwest US. Or will I have trouble setting up on ATT's GSM?

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is factory sim unlocked. You can use an att sim, but beware that you won't get 4glte unless you root to enable band 4, and even then att band 4 is limited

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Hrntphxr

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, the Verizon Note 3 has a CDMA/GSM chipset that overlaps on the same bands as AT&T.

Set Your Location

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Jet Black cell phone from AT&T

According to this, one could purchase a Verizon Note 3 and bring it over to AT&T, with voice and data functionality. I guess the issue would be LTE support.

How do I acquire the necessary steps to do this? I have a Verizon GN3 and installed my AT&T S4 SIM card in it. Everything seems to work except data, the store that sold the GN3 seems to be at a loss why this would be. . . . appreciate any help, would really like to keep the GN3, but store will take it back if we can't figure this out. Thank you in advance.

mchlwvr614

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
How do I acquire the necessary steps to do this? I have a Verizon GN3 and installed my AT&T S4 SIM card in it. Everything seems to work except data, the store that sold the GN3 seems to be at a loss why this would be. . . . appreciate any help, would really like to keep the GN3, but store will take it back if we can't figure this out. Thank you in advance.

Google the ATT APN settings or put the sim back in your s4 and write down the info. Then put the ATT sim in your N3 and edit the APN to match ATT. And make sure you are on global or gsm.

I've used ATT and straight talk sim cards getting HSPA+ only.
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
The region locking is to keep someone from say the US ordering a new phone from somewhere say China for a cheaper price and then using it over here. This is all about profits. If you activate the phone with a sim card from that region then you can take it where ever. This is a SOFTWARE issue and Chainfire's application will allow you to order the phone from somewhere cheaper and activate somewhere else.

Now the transmission by which the cell phone works is HARDWARE. Software cannot change hardware. It can change hardware settings.

ATT and Verizon use different hardware for transmission. Now the note 3 does have a dual chip for transmission which will save Samsung money and increase profits by not having to buy two different chips.

So the easiest way to answer this HARDWARE issue which has nothing to do with region locking would be for someone with an ATT LTE sim card to put it in a Note 3 from Verizon and see if it works?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You would need to root to enable b4 LTE to get LTE on AT&T. Also keep in mind that b4 LTE on AT&T has limited deployment, it is only available in certain cities. If you want to enable b4, look here

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=335201

Note that the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 doesn't support b17 which is att primary lte band. It doesn't support b5 either

lafv

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
What if you root the SM-N900A phone and install a Verizon SM-N900V rom?

Also, how will they know that the phone cannot work with their network if it's an international phone or something?

If you have an account with Verizon you cannot ask them to register a compatible phone (that has all the chipsets, radios and is 100% unlocked, rooted and has whatever else needed)?

Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What if you root the SM-N900A phone and install a Verizon SM-N900V rom?

Also, how will they know that the phone cannot work with their network if it's an international phone or something?

If you have an account with Verizon you cannot ask them to register a compatible phone (that has all the chipsets, radios and is 100% unlocked, rooted and has whatever else needed)?

Thanks!

Flashing roms not specifically designed for your specific phone can cause problems including brick. Verizon only officially allows devices that are Verizon certified onto their network. Now if you have a band 13 device then Verizon has to allow it on the network on band 13 only. But only the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has band 13.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

hallfleming

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I've just ported my Verizon numbers to AT&T. With that, I have a Verizon Note 3 that was activated on my old account (I purchased the phone straight out while on Verizon). My AT&T SIM works and I've set a APN for AT&T. I see the H+ when using the data. Data works. I saw a few annoying issues so I decided to sell it on Craigslist. So far, no interest. If I can't sell it, maybe I'll work through the issues. Those annoyances being:
  • Inbound numbers have a +1 before the number. If you try to call the number back, it won't go through.You have to copy the number to the dial screen and remove the +1
  • Another is voicemail. I'm assuming AT&T has some preinstalled visual voicemail app?
  • I do see a "Non-Verizon SIM" message. You can stop the "setup" service and it goes away.
  • MMS' won't go through. I tried setting that up to what's documented as AT&T's MMS settings. Maybe I could try working on that again?

Back to the data thing, enabling the b4 LTE. Could someone provide some details on that? On a final note, I wonder what will happen when OS updates come out? Would I receive them from Verizon?

Thanks for looking...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
With the latest update from December, Band 4 lte is enabled. You would have to set the network mode to lte to use lte. When I tried it in this mode on tmobile, I only got 4GLTE and had to manually switch modes to get voice and non 4GLTE data.

Have you tried disabling assisted dialing in the call settings?

With regards to voice mail, for Verizon you can type *86 to listen to voice mail in lieu of using VVM. Att should have a similar number

dpham00, Android Central Moderator

airgreek

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Guys I use a Verizon Note 3 (not rooted) on Tmobile and get LTE. Everything works as it should EXCEPT my upload speeds are three times slower than my family's T mobile smart phones

airgreek

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
The MMS issue can be bypassed by installing Google Hangouts.
I've just ported my Verizon numbers to AT&T. With that, I have a Verizon Note 3 that was activated on my old account (I purchased the phone straight out while on Verizon). My AT&T SIM works and I've set a APN for AT&T. I see the H+ when using the data. Data works. I saw a few annoying issues so I decided to sell it on Craigslist. So far, no interest. If I can't sell it, maybe I'll work through the issues. Those annoyances being:
  • Inbound numbers have a +1 before the number. If you try to call the number back, it won't go through.You have to copy the number to the dial screen and remove the +1
  • Another is voicemail. I'm assuming AT&T has some preinstalled visual voicemail app?
  • I do see a "Non-Verizon SIM" message. You can stop the "setup" service and it goes away.
  • MMS' won't go through. I tried setting that up to what's documented as AT&T's MMS settings. Maybe I could try working on that again?

Back to the data thing, enabling the b4 LTE. Could someone provide some details on that? On a final note, I wonder what will happen when OS updates come out? Would I receive them from Verizon?

Thanks for looking...

SlowGo

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I read your message and was wondering if the phone has to be unlocked before it will work on t-mobile or if you just have to put a t-mobile SIMcard in the phone. I have never done any of this before so if there are any sites you recommend i check out for how to do certain things I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks a lot in advance :D

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I read your message and was wondering if the phone has to be unlocked before it will work on t-mobile or if you just have to put a t-mobile SIMcard in the phone. I have never done any of this before so if there are any sites you recommend i check out for how to do certain things I would greatly appreciate it.

It definitely has to be unlocked. That's the hard part. If Verizon won't do it for you, you can do it (I'm pretty sure) yourself, if you root the device.

Edit: Actually, reading the posts above yours, others are saying they didn't root and it's working for them, so...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is factory sim unlocked. Just slap in a Tmobile sim, Change the apn, and you are good to go.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is factory sim unlocked. Just slap in a Tmobile sim, Change the apn, and you are good to go.

That's great, and worlds different from Sprint!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

BustAGroove

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I keep seeing references to using Verizion Samsung Note 3 on T-Mobile LTE. Can someone address using Verizon Samsung Note 3 on AT&T LTE and able to use voice and data (surf the web) at the same time?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I keep seeing references to using Verizion Samsung Note 3 on T-Mobile LTE. Can someone address using Verizon Samsung Note 3 on AT&T LTE and able to use voice and data (surf the web) at the same time?

You can only get att lte in very limited locations. I don't think that you can use voice at the same time as LTE on att

ryannote3

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
If I want to switch my Note 3 from Verizon to AT&T and keep my number, what would be the steps in order that I would want to take?

1) Order ATT sim card
2) Sign up for AT&T service plan and request my number be ported?
3) Contact Verizon about paying ETF?

Will Verizon allow my number to be ported if I am still under contract? Do I need to settle up with Verizon before trying to have ATT port my number?

Can/will Verizon try to lock my phone if they see I am trying to take it to ATT?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma