Corrupted JPEG images

Joep_v_Steen

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

For anyone dealing with the same issue (corrupt JPGs): I can often fix corrupt JPG files by manually editing the image stream. For more info see: [link redacted by Mod]
Joep

Last edited by a moderator:

Joep_v_Steen

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
Me again

If people could sent me a couple of JPGs I can examine them and see if there's a common issue. if there is then I may be able to write and quad fix tool. If that's straight forward I will make it available for free. [email address redacted by Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewayne Fontenot

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Same here, i was hoping it was not my new 256gb SD card.
I want to try using a 64gb just to make sure but now i am reading it is not just me. WHYYYYYYYY :'(

Well, maybe it's my SD card, but...

over half of the pictures I take are unreadable - at least by external programs. The "Gallery" app shows an icon instead of an image on these "unreadable" images, but when I click on one of those icons (looks like a head and shoulders icon), the image is displayed full-screen. If I email the image to myself and try to open it on a Windows desktop, it doesn't open. I've tried Photoshop, ACDSEE, Windows photo viewer, etc, etc. Each program either displays a blank image or I get an error message.

here's a sample of what these icons look like:
View attachment 89256

On the phone, if I try to open one of these "icon" images in Pixlr Express, I get an "Unsupported File" error. But, the Gallery app on the phone can view every one of these.

Anyone else having this issue? Any solutions to be able to read these images??

thanks,
bert

Collin Honaker

May 21, 2018
Visit site
I had the issue suddenly where I couldn't open files in gmail or outlook. what worked for me is settings>apps> and then click on Adobe, onedrive, whatever you use to open jpg and attachments and allowed all the permissions. how they suddenly got turned off I don't know but this fixed it for me. hope this helps

vishubaba

Mar 31, 2019
Visit site
Hey Sir, Did you get any solution to the problem faced by you regarding the cirrupt jpg files, actually i am also facing the same issue. Please help me if you know anything.

Joep_v_Steen

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site

If you open photo in hex editor you will find half the file is filled with repeating garbage, not JPEG data. This file can't be repaired.2019-09-20 (2).png

In general a hex editor like HxD can tell you a great deal. So, if you have half grey images do:

- Check file size compared to other intact files. If on average photos are say 2 MB and the corrupt photo is only 800 KB then it's simply truncated.

- Open file in HxD and page-down through it. It starts with a header with some readable text here and there even. At some point data becomes random (high entropy). If at some point entropy drops (all zeros, or FF bytes or some repeating pattern) then although file may be correct size, the data inside the file is missing.

- If high entropy remains throughout file and last 2 bytes read 0xFF,D9 THEN you may have a file that can be repaired using something like disktuna's jpeg repair utility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781