Why does Google Maps Suck Now?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Google maps used to be great. We are stuck with the most recent version and its updates on the note 3 and cannot uninstall because for some reason it is a system app. I tried contacting Google but they won't respond. Direction up functionality (aka follow me or navigate without destination) doesn't work. I'm shown traveling sideways on map instead of up. Map doesn't rotate properly to follow my direction. I also miss labs, expecially being able to measure distances. Plenty of posts about it in Google forums but they won't even comment. It's so frustrating. I'd really rather not root this phone just to get a good version 6 Google map.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I hate the lack of navigation features. Where did they all go?

Navigation still works. Just search a location in search bar or touch the figure to the left if location is stored. Once u choose a location touch the little blue up pointer.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
The most recent update just isn't very good. They will fix it and their will be slightly less about which we'll have to complain.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The most recent update just isn't very good. They will fix it and their will be slightly less about which we'll have to complain.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

Not so. Even since the first version when navigation and maps were United Google maps has sucked. There have been updates since then with no improvement to direction up mode.

See the symbol at the bottom right shows direction up mode (follow me) yet road appears horizontal instead of vertical and moves around for no reason.
a6uby3u6.jpg

Last edited:

john248

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Navigation still works. Just search a location in search bar or touch the figure to the left if location is stored. Once u choose a location touch the little blue up pointer.

No, I get that it still works. Again, I hate the lack of navigation FEATURES or options.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm back to the old maps with separate navigation, the new dumbed down version sucks. Way more route options on the older one

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
My HTC Amaze now takes forever to locate. Before the update it would automatically zoom in to my location

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
If you read all the most recent reviews in play Store you'll see an enormous amount of angry reviews. Luckily my phone shipped with the version a lot of reviewers suggested to roll back to: 6.14. If you can get your hands on a download of that you're gold. The UI isn't as "pretty" but the functionality makes up for it immensely
I'm also rolling back my YouTube app because the last few updates caused a lot of force closes. Gmail will also get rolled back the the very last version just before they built ad support into the app. I'm not updating hangouts either I don't want Google sms, Sony's sms app is far better. Walkman app > Google music, Sony albums are better than Google photos.

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
If you read all the most recent reviews in play Store you'll see an enormous amount of angry reviews. Luckily my phone shipped with the version a lot of reviewers suggested to roll back to: 6.14. If you can get your hands on a download of that you're gold. The UI isn't as "pretty" but the functionality makes up for it immensely
I'm also rolling back my YouTube app because the last few updates caused a lot of force closes. Gmail will also get rolled back the the very last version just before they built ad support into the app. I'm not updating hangouts either I don't want Google sms, Sony's sms app is far better. Walkman app > Google music, Sony albums are better than Google photos.

To find previous versions of apps go to www.androiddrawer.com that's the repository for them. I downloaded the previous version of YouTube from there got rid of the cast icon and the screen is now bright again.

sent from my fabulous galaxy note 2

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought this thread was bogus. Then Google maps yesterday thought I was on the frontage road beside the freeway for like 5 miles. Then it right I drive through a cotton field after I got off. Then it started from scratch when it realized I was on a real road.

And after I turned left it told me I needed to make 2 U turns in a row (which I would have been in my exact same position) to get to my destination

Posted via Android Central App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

You re fortunate but my Note 3 came with maps 7.1 so cannot be rolled back. I have the 6.14 apk but it is useless because I cannot uninstall maps 7 which is a system app so 6.14 won't install. There are hacked versions out there that work but I don't know who wrote them nor what data they might glean from my phone nor where it might go so I'm nervous about using them. They're also not published here or xda but on websites I've never heard of with unknown developers.

rwdrive

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I never had issues with Google maps until I got the note 3 (previously iphone) I'm dusting off my gamin because all the problems above. I'm concerned maybe this is a GPS problem, or antenna issue with the N3. Could it be a hardware ussue?

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma