Random reboots since update

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was Tweetcaster causing the issue but it's happening more and more when I'm using other apps. Not one single random reboot prior to update.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was Tweetcaster causing the issue but it's happening more and more when I'm using other apps. Not one single random reboot prior to update.

Usually after an update you want to factory reset the device. The previous firmware might have left some files behind that are causing issues. This usually solves most problems with a firmware upgrade

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Usually after an update you want to factory reset the device. The previous firmware might have left some files behind that are causing issues. This usually solves most problems with a firmware upgrade

This is the first time I've heard such a thing. However I may have no other choice.

What a major fu**ing pain in the a$$ it will be to factory reset this thing.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
This is the first time I've heard such a thing. However I may have no other choice.

You could wipe the cache and dalvik cache first, that might help. But yes, usually you have to factory reset.

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I have never done a factory reset. I think what he meant to say was a hard reset (battery pull).

I pulled the battery right after the update was finished and left it out for about 10 minutes, and put it back in, and booted up. I haven't turned it off since, and no issues. I ran the update the first or second day it was out. I always do a battery pull when I update it.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Battery pull didn't work.

I'm concerned that it may be my device only because no one else seems to be having this issue.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I know it is a pain to do the Factory reset,but have you tried it yet. It is the last resort before returning it.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I have never done a factory reset. I think what he meant to say was a hard reset (battery pull).

I pulled the battery right after the update was finished and left it out for about 10 minutes, and put it back in, and booted up. I haven't turned it off since, and no issues. I ran the update the first or second day it was out. I always do a battery pull when I update it.

No, I meant factory reset. You're technically supposed to factory reset every time you update (especially Android version updates). I know it's a pain, but that's the way it works.

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I had a random reboot only once since the update. Prior, I pulled the battery. A few days later, oops.

Just reporting. I am not particularly worried as it was only once. If it happens again, I'll do the factory reset.

Posted via Android Central App

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Turning off auto-updates for apps seems to have ameliorated the issue. I'm also suspicious of Google Opinion Rewards because I began having issues after signing up.

jhamby1980

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

Hard reset is a factory reset. A soft reset is a battery pull.

Sperafucile

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried going into the WiFi settings. Selecting "Advanced" and unchecking the ?Scanning always available" box?

Posted via Android Central App

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Rebooted itself twice today. App updates seem to be trigerring it. I turned off auto updates.

I will try the WiFi settings change as well.

Edit: I already had it the "always checking" option turned off. I'm going to try one more soft reset. If that doesn't work I'll do factory reset.

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had daily random reboots before the update and after the update. I'm on my third Note 3. This isn't a hardware issue....clearly software.

I can run for days in Safe Mode without a reboot. But out of Safe mode, phone crashes daily. And by crash I mean black screen, all buttons unresponsive, have to yank battery to get phone operational again.

I've stripped all apps from phone and run stock, still crashes.

I've started turning off stock apps and believe my conflict is also related to software updates, but I've turned those off. Still, some of the Google apps appear yo auto-update. Yesterday, phone crashed when Hangouts updated.....never accessed that app, had auto-updates turned off, but yet it somehow updated itself. And then a Google Play Services did same thing.

I've factory reset each phone several times. Does ok for a few days then starts rebooting again.

So damn frustrating.

Verizon Note 3
Samsung 64g SD (crashes with or without SD card installed)

Also disabled wifi scanning....doesn't help.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I pulled battery for 10 minutes last night. Hopefully that ameliorates the issue.

Also, not one single random reboot prior to FW update.

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Grasping at straws for root cause but I get reboots most often when....

-Sliding to unlock
-Receiving a notification other than email, text or voice mail. I've even removed weather as those updates seem to cause issues.
-Having one of the damn bloatware apps (I can't control) do an auto-update (Samsung App Store, Amazon App store both disabled, Auto-Update turned off in Google Play store)

Stock bloatware apps currently turned off/disabled:

-Amazon MP3
-Amazon App Store
-Amazon (not sure what this app actually does...have Kindle and Amazon website apk still active)
-Audible
-BlurbCheckout
-Bubles
-Caller Name ID
-Google Play books
-Google Play Magazines
-Google Play Movies and TV
-Google +
-Google Hangouts
-IMDB
-InteractiveKeyguardTutorial
-My Verizon Mobile
-NFL Mobile
-Pen.Up
-Verizon Tones
-VZ Navigator

Have tried replacement Launchers as some users reported TouchWiz was the culprit. Get reboots with Touchwiz and Nova both. No difference.

Expydude

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I been getting reboots when playing clash of clans but that's the only time iv noticed a reboot any one else have problems with the app

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I had a rebootv yesterday for the first time in 5 days. Seems related to when an app needs to update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol