04-01-2014 10:35 AM
28 12
tools
    I thought it was Tweetcaster causing the issue but it's happening more and more when I'm using other apps. Not one single random reboot prior to update.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro
    11-10-2013 03:48 PM
    I thought it was Tweetcaster causing the issue but it's happening more and more when I'm using other apps. Not one single random reboot prior to update.

Usually after an update you want to factory reset the device. The previous firmware might have left some files behind that are causing issues. This usually solves most problems with a firmware upgrade
    11-10-2013 04:32 PM
    Usually after an update you want to factory reset the device. The previous firmware might have left some files behind that are causing issues. This usually solves most problems with a firmware upgrade
    This is the first time I've heard such a thing. However I may have no other choice.

What a major fu**ing pain in the a$$ it will be to factory reset this thing.

11-10-2013 04:45 PM
    This is the first time I've heard such a thing. However I may have no other choice.

You could wipe the cache and dalvik cache first, that might help. But yes, usually you have to factory reset.
    11-11-2013 01:32 PM

I have never done a factory reset. I think what he meant to say was a hard reset (battery pull).

I pulled the battery right after the update was finished and left it out for about 10 minutes, and put it back in, and booted up. I haven't turned it off since, and no issues. I ran the update the first or second day it was out. I always do a battery pull when I update it.
    11-11-2013 03:06 PM
    Battery pull didn't work.

I'm concerned that it may be my device only because no one else seems to be having this issue.

11-11-2013 03:16 PM
    I know it is a pain to do the Factory reset,but have you tried it yet. It is the last resort before returning it.
    11-11-2013 03:33 PM
    I have never done a factory reset. I think what he meant to say was a hard reset (battery pull).

I pulled the battery right after the update was finished and left it out for about 10 minutes, and put it back in, and booted up. I haven't turned it off since, and no issues. I ran the update the first or second day it was out. I always do a battery pull when I update it.
    No, I meant factory reset. You're technically supposed to factory reset every time you update (especially Android version updates). I know it's a pain, but that's the way it works.

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod
    jhamby1980 likes this.
    11-11-2013 05:46 PM
    I had a random reboot only once since the update. Prior, I pulled the battery. A few days later, oops.

Just reporting. I am not particularly worried as it was only once. If it happens again, I'll do the factory reset.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-11-2013 06:44 PM
    Turning off auto-updates for apps seems to have ameliorated the issue. I'm also suspicious of Google Opinion Rewards because I began having issues after signing up.

11-12-2013 12:05 PM

Hard reset is a factory reset. A soft reset is a battery pull.
    11-12-2013 12:50 PM
    Have you tried going into the WiFi settings. Selecting "Advanced" and unchecking the Scanning always available" box?

Posted via Android Central App
    Spacemaker24 likes this.
    11-13-2013 09:23 AM
    Rebooted itself twice today. App updates seem to be trigerring it. I turned off auto updates.

I will try the WiFi settings change as well.

Edit: I already had it the "always checking" option turned off. I'm going to try one more soft reset. If that doesn't work I'll do factory reset.

11-13-2013 11:15 PM
    I've had daily random reboots before the update and after the update. I'm on my third Note 3. This isn't a hardware issue....clearly software.

I can run for days in Safe Mode without a reboot. But out of Safe mode, phone crashes daily. And by crash I mean black screen, all buttons unresponsive, have to yank battery to get phone operational again.

I've stripped all apps from phone and run stock, still crashes.

I've started turning off stock apps and believe my conflict is also related to software updates, but I've turned those off. Still, some of the Google apps appear yo auto-update. Yesterday, phone crashed when Hangouts updated.....never accessed that app, had auto-updates turned off, but yet it somehow updated itself. And then a Google Play Services did same thing.

I've factory reset each phone several times. Does ok for a few days then starts rebooting again.

So damn frustrating.

Verizon Note 3
    Samsung 64g SD (crashes with or without SD card installed)

Also disabled wifi scanning....doesn't help.
    11-14-2013 07:44 AM
    I pulled battery for 10 minutes last night. Hopefully that ameliorates the issue.

Also, not one single random reboot prior to FW update.

11-14-2013 10:23 AM
    Grasping at straws for root cause but I get reboots most often when....

-Sliding to unlock
    -Receiving a notification other than email, text or voice mail. I've even removed weather as those updates seem to cause issues.
    -Having one of the damn bloatware apps (I can't control) do an auto-update (Samsung App Store, Amazon App store both disabled, Auto-Update turned off in Google Play store)

Stock bloatware apps currently turned off/disabled:

-Amazon MP3
    -Amazon App Store
    -Amazon (not sure what this app actually does...have Kindle and Amazon website apk still active)
    -Audible
    -BlurbCheckout
    -Bubles
    -Caller Name ID
    -Google Play books
    -Google Play Magazines
    -Google Play Movies and TV
    -Google +
    -Google Hangouts
    -IMDB
    -InteractiveKeyguardTutorial
    -My Verizon Mobile
    -NFL Mobile
    -Pen.Up
    -Verizon Tones
    -VZ Navigator

Have tried replacement Launchers as some users reported TouchWiz was the culprit. Get reboots with Touchwiz and Nova both. No difference.
    11-14-2013 10:40 AM
    I posted a thread to the main forum that might relate to this reboot thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...onnection.html
    Spacemaker24 likes this.
    11-14-2013 11:08 AM
    No reboots since soft reset.

11-15-2013 08:41 AM
    I been getting reboots when playing clash of clans but that's the only time iv noticed a reboot any one else have problems with the app

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    11-19-2013 09:59 PM
    I had a rebootv yesterday for the first time in 5 days. Seems related to when an app needs to update.

11-20-2013 10:13 AM
    Now on my fifth Note 3, third new battery and third new SIM card. Phone suffers sudden shutdown running stock with only stock apps, power button won't turn it on unless I yank battery, wait 5 minutes, and reinstall. Happens in both Safe and regular modes. Factory resets don't help.

Verizon is clueless. Samsung is clueless. I'm having to yank the battery 5-6 times per day to use it. This is so damn frustrating.
    11-22-2013 09:11 AM
    I had similar issues after the update. I did a factory reset last week and it is doing fine except for an nfc alarm that is bugging me to no end but at least it stopped the power off

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    11-22-2013 10:25 AM
    I'll probably do a factory reset next weekend. I hate having to go through and reload all of my apps and wallpaper and launcher and email and other first world problems.

11-22-2013 06:12 PM
    Yeah I hate that too, that is why I do it as a last resort. Im always tweaking my phone and after resetting I never get it back to the same way I had it before.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    11-22-2013 11:20 PM
    I also had zero reboots before the update and it happened after the update. I took the battery out overnight and it has not happened in the few days since. We shall see if it sticks. I have noticed quite a drop in signal strength with the update though.
    11-24-2013 02:59 AM
28 12