Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Not receiving incoming text messages

nimporte

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have received only one incoming text since receiving my phone a week ago. My outgoing messages appear to go out correctly. Ideas how to fix this?

Dirtdawg57

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Are you coming from IPhone? If you are you have to somehow go into your Apple account and delete your phone number from the imessages or something. My coworker is having a hard time with it but got it working better. I think it is Apples way of imprisoning their customers.

mwatson2

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Dealing with this **** right now. Swapped my wife from an iPhone to a GS4 last night. Despite not having service, all of her friends who had iphones would shoot her a text and it would go via iMessage to her old phone and NEVER make it to her GS4. After doing research we have disabled iMessage on her iphone, logged into apple and un-registered her iphone completely, and turned off the iphone. As of now she still does not get texts from her friends with an iPhone. I have been told that we must notify all her contacts to either restart their phone and/or change her number from an "iPhone" to "Mobile". Both of those are absurd as she communicates with tons of people.

I doubt this is any ploy by Apple as they have nothing to gain, but it's a poorly designed system. On a side note this never happened when I swapped from my iphone to note 3 last month,

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
There is no way to bring over the text from your old iPhone. Unless maybe you were using a texting app, and not iMessage. Not sure on that though.

The big key when setting this phone up from iphone, was to turn off iMessage before you ever activated this phone. I had actually shut down iMessage and continued to text a few friends, until I got home and on wifi to set the new phone up. I haven't had any issues with getting my texts.

I almost wonder if reactivating your iphone, send a few imessage texts, and then shut off imessage, and text some more, and then shut everything down, and reactivate the Note. Not sure if that would help, and I know if seems like a lot, but could possible fix it, as it would be a cleaner switch between services.

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
There is no way to bring over the text from your old iPhone. Unless maybe you were using a texting app, and not iMessage. Not sure on that though.

The big key when setting this phone up from iphone, was to turn off iMessage before you ever activated this phone. I had actually shut down iMessage and continued to text a few friends, until I got home and on wifi to set the new phone up. I haven't had any issues with getting my texts.

I almost wonder if reactivating your iphone, send a few imessage texts, and then shut off imessage, and text some more, and then shut everything down, and reactivate the Note. Not sure if that would help, and I know if seems like a lot, but could possible fix it, as it would be a cleaner switch between services.

Auburn Grad? So it is safe to say War Eagle?!

But this guy hit it right on the head. You have to turn off iMessage before the other phone is even activated just to speed the process along. If you call Apple they can see if your number is still associated with the iMessage server. If it is they'll "deactivate" it for you but it will take a few days before the number is dumped from the server. Until then your wife can ask her friends to check their iMessage to see if "send as sms" is on. That's step 1. Lol she will then have to ask them to delete any old threads with her and start a new one. It'll probably send as an iMessage but if they highlight it and re send it as a text message she will be able to get it. After doing that a few times, that iPhone will see she is no longer an iMessage user. It's a pain I know but it's the fix for now. I had a few problems with text for about 2-3 days after I'd deactived my iMessage and removed my phone from my apple support page. It's all good now though. I had to do the steps above too. If they are techy& cool friends they'll understand and won't mind taking the extra step. If they aren't techy you or your wife my have to change the setting for them lol. I had a few non techy friends I had to do that for. I'm loving my s4. Glad to be back!

mwatson2

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeesh, super frustrating because she's in a wedding this weekend and can't reach anyone. She's the epitome of non-tech saavy so you can imagine how fun this is.

We actually ported her number from AT&T to a dummy number on Verizon, the GS4 was already active at this point. I guess we should have switched off iMessage prior to porting. We were considering taking the phones to the Verizon store and have them go through it all (Seeing how they so quickly instructed me to simply fill out a form online to do it), but it sounds like we're better off waiting it out.

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
If you still have the old iPhone you have sign out of iMessage AND FaceTime via the settings menu. Sometimes people only sign out of iMessage and that alone won't solve the issue.

Dirtdawg57

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
You might be able to just connect it to wifi to do that without actually reactivating it. Not sure if it will work but it's a thought. Maybe try to have the friends delete and re-add you number. It's a pain but it might be the only way. Yeah from what I hear it does not happen with the older Iphones, just the new ones.

mwatson2

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Giving this a go. Her iPhone still had FaceTime connected so I'm crossing my fingers. The advice is MUCH appreciated.

If you still have the old iPhone you have sign out of iMessage AND FaceTime via the settings menu. Sometimes people only sign out of iMessage and that alone won't solve the issue.

crivera7836

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
i come from an iphone 5 with multiple iphone owner friends and i have no issue at all i send and receive text and mms no problem. Before i sold my iphone i did a factory reset thats all.

Teresa Bridges

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
i AM ALSO HAVING TROUBLE RECEIVING TEXT MESSAGES. i HAD AN iPHONE 4S FROM at&t AND NOW HAVE A nOTE 3... nOT SURE IF i LIKE THIS NEW PHONE BUT i HAVE 14 DAYS THEN MUST DESCIDE IF i WANT TO KEEP IT OR TAKE IT BACK

BJSuboti

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue and apple have a site to deactivate or deregister your number from iMessage. I can't post URL here coz I'm new but just search or google How to deactivate iMessage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy