Couple of questions from someone considering Note 3....

tanknitrous

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys....my GF is considering making the leap from the iPhone 5 to the Note 3. She has a couple questions she'd like answered if anyone can help?
1. If you made the jump from iPhone to Note 3, after using the Note for a while, does the size become more cumbersome to you and make you wish you did not get the Note?
2. She's read multiple stories about the Note 3 on VZN supposedly losing signal in places where iPhones do not....in your experience, has that been the case at all? She texts a ton, and not getting and being able to send texts would kill her.
3. How's the durability? She is pretty clumsy...........and last, but not least.........
4. Call quality on VZN? Is it incredibly awesome, good, or just fair compared to other phones you've had.

Thanks guys!!!!

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
1. I had the opposite experience. I thought it was way too big in the beginning (before I bought it), and thought the size might be a deal-breaker. Used it a couple days, and the size is a plus now. I laugh at the tiny iPhones now. She will have a couple weeks to make up her mind.

2. YMMV. You'll have to test it out. In my area I found reception to be no better/no worse. In other words, I haven't really noticed an appreciable difference.

3. Get an Otterbox. Or at least a case. I am not clumsy, and go naked (ok, see-through - I do use a screen protector, but no case).

4. No real issues with Vz in my area. They have the best coverage here, but are also the most expensive.

Good luck!

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys....my GF is considering making the leap from the iPhone 5 to the Note 3. She has a couple questions she'd like answered if anyone can help?
1. If you made the jump from iPhone to Note 3, after using the Note for a while, does the size become more cumbersome to you and make you wish you did not get the Note?
2. She's read multiple stories about the Note 3 on VZN supposedly losing signal in places where iPhones do not....in your experience, has that been the case at all? She texts a ton, and not getting and being able to send texts would kill her.
3. How's the durability? She is pretty clumsy...........and last, but not least.........
4. Call quality on VZN? Is it incredibly awesome, good, or just fair compared to other phones you've had.

Thanks guys!!!!

1. The size is GREAT. It may take a short while to get used to, but once you do, you'll never go back to smaller phones! Also there is a "one handed" mode built in for people with smaller hands.
2. Signal strength is fine, but as with any cell phone, it really depends on the area that you're currently in.
3. In my opinion NONE of the newer smart phones are durable enough to be dropped or thrown around a lot...just get a good case for it.
4. Again, call quality is just as good as any other high end smart phone but will always depend on where you are at the time.

In short, the Note 3 is a fantastic phone, with features like multi view (for running 2 apps on screen simultaneously) and the new S-pen, there is no other phone even close (except maybe the Note 2 which is also still a great phone and I still use that one too around the house on wifi)!

Beantown Bashers

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Thanks guys!!!!

The phone is awesome, but everyone has different expectations. There are a few threads from former IPHONE users talking about likes dislikes. Have her read through those threads.

Reception is relative to location and varies from region to region.

She can test drive the phone for 14 days and see if it meets her expectations.

She needs a nice case

She will love texting on this beast of a phone....it takes a while to get used to the screen size...like maybe 2hrs! Lots of people think it's too big but if you actually use the phone for a few hours you do not even notice the size until you grab your old phone or see someone with a smaller phone.

This forum helps make the transition smoother

hcane466

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I've used the Note 3 for about 3 weeks.....After a few days I didn't even notice it was larger then normal. Once I put a case on it (Spigen Bounce) I was amazed how much better it was in my hand...very comfortable. Coming from an iphone...never had one..I've tried my daughters 5 s and it seemed rather simplistic to me. This is my third android phone and the best so far. I discover new things about it everyday. ..Also large screen is much easier on eyes when reading. Good Luck with what you chose
Ps. I could never go back to a smaller screen..now that I've seen the Moon up close

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I went from the iPhone 4 to the Note 3.

The size at first seems huge. It's a bit "unwieldy" even now for me. Sometimes if you are one handing it, you really have to stretch. But it's a trade off for the big beautiful screen, which is this phone's best asset. If you use it for a week, and then someone shows you something on their iPhone, you really notice the difference in size.

As far as signal vs the iPhone - I have not noticed any difference.

I kept my iPhone in a case and also my Note 3 as well. Haven't really dropped it yet so can't help ya much there. If your girlfriend plans to run around naked (you go girl! LOL) then I wish you the best of luck.

I have not noticed any difference in call quality.

Other random thoughts about switching..... Besides the size difference, perhaps the biggest "shocker" for her will be the OS. It's just very different from the iPhone. There is much more flexibility with the Note 3 regarding customization, which is a good thing IMO. There is going to be a learning curve for sure. The notification system on Android is superior to the iPhone, and easy enough to learn. All I'm saying is that the ecosystem change, and not the size of the device, or the signal/call quality, will be what she could struggle with most.

After having this Note 3 for a little over 2 months, I can say that I am really enjoying it a lot. Love the big screen, notifications rock, the play store is excellent, and the battery life is superb. It has truly spoiled me because I just simply could not ever go back to a smaller screen. I loved my time with the iPhone 4 - it was a reliable and good phone. I am loving my time so far with the Note 3 a little more.... and you could toss out the removable battery, microSDXC slot, ecosystem, etc... This phone is about the screen. And oh what a screen it is.

Sent from a large mobile device

tanknitrous

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I went from the iPhone 4 to the Note 3.

The size at first seems huge. It's a bit "unwieldy" even now for me. Sometimes if you are one handing it, you really have to stretch. But it's a trade off for the big beautiful screen, which is this phone's best asset. If you use it for a week, and then someone shows you something on their iPhone, you really notice the difference in size.

As far as signal vs the iPhone - I have not noticed any difference.

I kept my iPhone in a case and also my Note 3 as well. Haven't really dropped it yet so can't help ya much there. If your girlfriend plans to run around naked (you go girl! LOL) then I wish you the best of luck.

I have not noticed any difference in call quality.

Other random thoughts about switching..... Besides the size difference, perhaps the biggest "shocker" for her will be the OS. It's just very different from the iPhone. There is much more flexibility with the Note 3 regarding customization, which is a good thing IMO. There is going to be a learning curve for sure. The notification system on Android is superior to the iPhone, and easy enough to learn. All I'm saying is that the ecosystem change, and not the size of the device, or the signal/call quality, will be what she could struggle with most.

After having this Note 3 for a little over 2 months, I can say that I am really enjoying it a lot. Love the big screen, notifications rock, the play store is excellent, and the battery life is superb. It has truly spoiled me because I just simply could not ever go back to a smaller screen. I loved my time with the iPhone 4 - it was a reliable and good phone. I am loving my time so far with the Note 3 a little more.... and you could toss out the removable battery, microSDXC slot, ecosystem, etc... This phone is about the screen. And oh what a screen it is.

Sent from a large mobile device

-The large screen, of course, is what is pulling her towards the Note 3. But, the reason I'm gathering information is because she has abandoned iOS a few times for Android, only to come back after whining after having the Android phone for a few weeks. I just want her to make an informed decision, as every time she does this, I think she believes it's for the last time. Thanks for sharing.

Ex Iphone

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
If I can learn it at 64 yrs young am sure the GF will love it I came from an IPhone 4 and iOS 7 there are learning curves from IPhone to note 3 but if one applies how to from iPhone to note 3 it is really easy to find ones way and the features have been well massaged.
I'm betting you will get one yourself the screen alone is like coming out of a fog yes it is a 2 handed device most cannot use thumb only to run it but there is a one handed setting you can select in the settings menu.
best advice go to whatever phone provider you use at&t verizon etc and have her play with it after she starts getting used to it have her go to iPhone 5-5s phone it will be all over the first time her eyes squint at the tiny screen.
Good Luck

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
As for texting, I highly recommend SwiftKey. Aside from a greater predictive text engine, it has several features that make the Note all that much better:

Single handed typing - the keyboard will shrink over to one side (either side).
A floating keyboard - this is very cool.
Swype-like entry aslo
Lastly, voice to text. I use it more and more.

Others are correct - the culture change from iOS to Android is large. Time, practice, and an open mind help greatly.

Good luck!

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have the iPhone 5, but I made the switch from the 4S to note 3 in September.

1) in the first week or so the size took a little getting used to but as other people have stated ...After after few days the iPhone looks TINY and the bigger screen is way more useful for searching the web, texting, netflix etc.

2) I haven't had any problems with signal especially related to sending texts. One thing I did miss was the iPhone to iPhone messages - as all my family live home in Scotland and I live in California so I could no longer send pic or videos (or vice versa) but that was solved with the app Whatsapp - great app! As for the text msgs on the Samsung messages - I haven't had problems, plus I like that they allow you to change g he background and text bubbles. (Girls like this stuff haha)

3) I have a case I bought on ebay (search "fintie note 3" I have it in a nice red and a pink one also) - it's durable ..I'm VERY clumsy and it's survived many drops in the 4 months I've owed it. The case is also useful as it has a little kickstand so you can watch or read something whilst having the phone sitting up by itself.

4) Call quality I would say for me and where I live is the same as what it was on the iPhone. The speaker I find on the note 3 is a lot better on the note 3. I also like the little features like if I start typing in a # I've called before but not saved it to my contacts it still brings it up so it's easier to call.

I'm sure she will love the phone once she has it. It takes a little while of getting used to it - but it is definitely a happy purchase for me (and my bf also who got his the same day!).

Hope this info helps,

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

Shane Dowler

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I was an iPhone user for five years and switched from the iPhone 5 as well. The best decision I have made. I spend the majority of the time on my phone on Instagram, Facebook, email etc it's faster and do much easier to look at. I am also enjoying the swipe type.

Battery life is much better than the iPhone.

Being able to use widgets is helpful.

She can't go wrong by switching. Oh by the way the size becomes easy to hold and fits in my front pocket fine.

Posted via Android Central App

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Thanks guys!!!!

For me, I originally had an iPhone 4 then upgraded to a S3. Got upset with the battery life on the S3 so, after 4 months switched back to the iPhone 5 and vowed to never go back to Android. Then recently, the Note 8 caught my eye so, I bought that device. I became so impressed, that I went to Verizon and got the Note 3 and Galaxy Gear watch. From day 1, I never looked back at the purchase and the Note 3 amazes me everyday and puts the iPhone further and further from my mind.

1. I have gotten used to the size. Its a lot like carrying a checkbook around with you. The other day, my wife asked me to look at her iPhone 4s for her and when I picked it up and started to use it, it felt like an iPod from the old days with a tiny display. I still have the option to return the device until January 15 because of their extended return policy. I still have the iPhone 5 and plan on keeping it until that time. Then it will be sold on Ebay.

2. Where I work, I get little to no bars for coverage. I found the same true with the iPhone so, to me the coverage is the same.

3. I have a Spigen Slim Armor so, that protects the device pretty well. The other day, it slid off the counter onto the hardwood floor. I picked up and noticed that nothing had been damaged and all was good. I thought for sure based on the sound, that I had damaged the phone. It was a pretty hard fall.

My suggestion to your GF, Get the phone now and try it out before the extended return policy expires. Make sure and take good care of it. Then if it does not work out return it. I have had mine now for about 2 1/2 weeks and that was my original intent but I plan on keeping the device right now.

Oh one more thing, the battery life on this device is awesome. By the end of the day, the battery on the iPhone would be around 20-25% left. With the Note 3 it is about 45-55% left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy