Bestbuy Mobile Lets me Keep Unlimited Data?

Foyt20

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Soooo... Im looking for a replacement phone for my nexus, which has unlimited data on the line. Really want the Note 3. Just went to bestbuy mobile website. Confirmed all of my information, and successfully pick a phone and add it to the cart. When it asks for my data plan, the only option it gives is keep existing plan. Which is unlimited. Is this a crack in the matrix?

Nervous to hit purchase, even though the phone is $100 cheaper than verizon is offering. :eek:

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Soooo... Im looking for a replacement phone for my nexus, which has unlimited data on the line. Really want the Note 3. Just went to bestbuy mobile website. Confirmed all of my information, and successfully pick a phone and add it to the cart. When it asks for my data plan, the only option it gives is keep existing plan. Which is unlimited. Is this a crack in the matrix?

Nervous to hit purchase, even though the phone is $100 cheaper than verizon is offering. :eek:

I would physically go to the store and have someone do it for you! I believe if something is gonna change, they can just cancel the order before they finalize everything.

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
definitely do not go in store - you will lose unlimited data for sure.

Why? As long as you pay full retail price, there's no reason for them to touch your plan. My wife got her last phone from Best Buy a month ago. There was no issue with her losing unlimited data.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Why? As long as you pay full retail price, there's no reason for them to touch your plan. My wife got her last phone from Best Buy a month ago. There was no issue with her losing unlimited data.
We are not talking about paying full retail. We are talking about using an upgrade from an unlimited data line to get a subsidized phone.

Verizon's system will kick you off of unlimited when you use an upgrade on an unlimited data line and then activate the phone. That happens on Verizon's end. It happens whether or not you do it in store or online at Best Buy, but online, at least you have the paper trail to make an argument that you did not pick a new data plan. In store, they have to have you pick a new data plan or they won't activate the phone. And once the phone is activated, Verizon's system will downgrade you to the 2GB plan if you didn't pick a plan.

The only way to use your unlimited data line's upgrade and not get kicked off of unlimited data is to transfer the upgrade to a line without unlimited data. There is a whole thread about this in the Verizon forum of this web site.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Please let us know how it went with the rollover of your unlimited data plan...I'm in the same situation. Thanks
He updated on his other thread. After activation, he was booted off of unlimited and given a message that he went over his data allowance for the month. He was able to call and persuade a tired, over worked Verizon rep to put his unlimited data back on for him based on the paperwork saying he could keep existing plan. My friend IRL who did this was able to persuade someone to do it, too, but it took her almost a week to get someone to do it. YMMV.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
If you are buying it outright, you can buy it at Verizon and choose the 12 month payment plan and you will keep your unlimited data. Just make sure that your rep verifies it (and I had him re-verify it right before sending the order). You'll have to pay the first month's payment and tax up-front, which, in my case was $117. I'm going to be paying an extra $62 a month for the next 11 months, but then the phone is mine. One downside is that, while you can buy the phone at anytime by passing the unpaid balance, you can't make "advance payments" and pay ahead. It's all or nothing.

PS, DO NOT let them use the EDGE plan. You will lose your unlimited. And they aren't all schooled on this third plan. They get those two plans confused. Even the manager didn't really know about this plan. He had to double-check. You might have to walk them through the process.

Posted via Android Central App

Foyt20

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I was successful with convincing them to put my unlimited data back on monday. Already 3 gigs in 2 days. Glorious unlimited data. Let information flow from the heavens unto me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
PS, the reason my up-front payment was so high was because of the sales tax. You'll have to pay the whole tax for the phone upfront. In the case of my state, that's 9.25%. YMMV.

samcro

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, just went through this on the 24th... went to Best Buy store with mobile store inside. Told the guy exactly what I wanted to do - my line is the primary that has an upgrade that I can not use without losing unlimited. I had a line on family plan that had an upgrade available.
He told me that about 6 months ago, Verizon stopped allowing you to upgrade a different line, activate new phone on said line, and then transferring the new phone to primary line. (Work around) He then said he would try it... He assured me that worst case scenario, I would lose unlimited but to be kicked to a 6gb plan for $30. They have created this plan to help people coming from unlimited to ease them into a tiered plan. It is not available to new customers or people with already tiered plans.
To me, it was worth the risk. I'm usually between 2-4 gbs/month anyway. I've had some big months, maybe up to 8 or so, but I had already set my mind to the new phone. To my surprise, it worked and I still have unlimited (as far as I know). Awesome device!
Coming from DROID og, thunderbolt, galaxy s3. Just got a seidio surface case, loving it... very slim. Hope this helps

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
He told me that about 6 months ago, Verizon stopped allowing you to upgrade a different line, activate new phone on said line, and then transferring the new phone to primary line.
He is mistaken. I just did this twice in the last month. Also, it would be a violation of Verizon's block c licenses for them not to let you transfer your device to any line you want to so Verizon can't stop you from doing that without getting in trouble with the FCC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781