Car Charger Problem

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased an xtreme brand 2.1 amp dual port car charger for my note 3. I am using a Motorola brand USB to micro plug with it since I'd prefer to keep the Samsung cord in the house in case I need to connect to the computer.

It charged my note 3 quickly however I am in the habit of leaving the cable plugged in while driving with maps always on the screen. Unplugging seems foolish since the phone discharges fairly rapidly with screen on in a cradle and I don't like trying to plug it in again while driving. The problem is I noticed the phone got up to 110 F before I noticed and unplugged it.

My question is does this mean the charger is no good? Is the problem more likely to be the cord? (I used the cord in the house on ac with no problem.) Is this just a normal thing that I should ignore? Are 1 amp car chargers less likely to cause this overheating issue? I thought the phone itself controlled whether or not it continued to charge rather than the charger.

If my charger is crap can you suggest an inexpensive option that is less likely to cause overheating?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, charging now as I respond. Is the oem charger really 2.1 amps? If not perhaps my car charger is too powerful?

I looked up the oem samsung car charger is only 1 amp but has terrible ratings (slow charging only lasts a month). I hate to give Verizon $20 for their car charger but I guess it is my only alternative?

Is it the charger that controls current flow or the cable or the phone? I suppose I could try the Samsung cable with my charger to see if it works better.
Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3