Root Options for Verizon Note 3

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about rooting. I understand that there are two options.

1. Kingo.
Pros = Non-destructive, easy.
Cons = Seems almost too easy.

2. Root de la Vega.
Pros = Reputable developers, XDA community adoption.
Cons = Destructive.

With the above in mind, starting a few questions to help understand the experience better.

What option(s) have anyone tried?
What problems have you encountered?
How easy is it to return to non-rooted state?
What is the probability that future root methods will be available once new official firmwares and boot loaders are released?

Bobyouall

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I just literally tried Kingo the other day and I had just bought my phone that day. Worked flawlessly. Now running JellyBeans rom using Safestrap. Of course you wanna be careful and make sure to read everything carefully. I think I read Root de la Vega won't work on the latest official firmware but I am not sure. Not sure about unrooting but I believe you can also use Kingo to do that.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I rooted via Kingo. It was "almost too easy", and I wouldn't call it a 'con'. :)

No problems at all. Very smooth, easy, quick, virtually painless.

Haven't had to unroot yet.

While we can't predict the future, I'd say the probability is very high that future root method will be available, since we're looking at Kit Kat already in several parts of the world. It should make it here (Vz) eventually, and root should be re-established soon thereafter. Past this, who knows.

Good luck if you do it, you shouldn't have any issues so long as you follow instructions.

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Kingo was ridiculously easy and really quick to root. For stock I keep the Odin .tar images so I can flash and wipe whatever I want and I always have a backup to be able to flash back to the latest stock note 3 release.

FYI : I originally used the root de la vega method and was able to use the supersu survival mode to hold root even through the OTA upgrade. Using safestrap and partitioning multiple roms annoyed me so I odin back to stock and root using kingo when I want to wipe everything and start fresh again.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I, too, used Kingo. Didn't face any problems (some state they failed rooting, but had to try again to achieve it), and the program has an 'unroot' giant option if you ever need to take the phone into be serviced or sell it in an unrooted state.
This method was by far the easiest root method I've ever used--even moreso (dare I say) than Wugg's Rootkit for the Nexus.

Seriously. 1 tap of the phone or click of the mouse and it was all done within minutes.

chriscw81

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
where can I find official firmware for the verizon variant? going to pick one up today.

I'm assuming you are asking where to get the stock Verizon N3 rom/firmware.....

Head over to the xda site in the Verizon note 3 section. There's a thread on how to odin back to stock

Chris

sent from tapatalk....probably while pooping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech