Need a simplistic explanation

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
So a couple of days ago my daughter came with me to the Verizon store. After talking to customer service on the phone they agreed to put notes in my account to let us both upgrade even though neither one of us is due to upgrade for a while (her September 2014 and me July 2015). Daughter's line was offered early upgrade via "early edge" and mine of course was not (she doesn't like to get new phones but I do so edge isn't right for her)
in order for us both to get what we wanted they had to switch sim cards, activate both new phones and then switch the sim cards back again. The Verizon employee told me when I want to "edge up" I should switch the sim cards back? Won't that screw up my daughters phone though?

* I know edge isn't right for everyone so please no lecturing.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Switching sim cards won't mess anything up. It just changes phone number and plan from one device to the other. But you'll have to transfer pictures and anything else valuable over to a computer then drag and drop to the new device. Then factory reset both phones so they are starting fresh. Like when bought as new.

53N7 FR0M M4 N073-3 V1A 7A9A7A7K

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
What?? I don't have a computer to drag & drop anything. Wow what did they get me into?! I asked her if the phones would be messed up and she said no. Sounds crazy to me honestly

Switching sim cards won't mess anything up. It just changes phone number and plan from one device to the other. But you'll have to transfer pictures and anything else valuable over to a computer then drag and drop to the new device. Then factory reset both phones so they are starting fresh. Like when bought as new.

sent from my Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

He would have to anyway to edge up as you have to turn in the phone that was purchased or its replacement assuming that you edge up before you pay off the entire phone

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
The only thing switching SIM cards does is swap phone lines. Let's say you have a Galaxy note 3 and she has an s4. If you swap SIM cards, then your service will now be on the s4 and hers on the note 3.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
The only thing switching SIM cards does is swap phone lines. Let's say you have a Galaxy note 3 and she has an s4. If you swap SIM cards, then your service will now be on the s4 and hers on the note 3.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ok I think I get it. So it's just an ID for the phone number. We switch phone sims, turn one phone in and then switch them back with the new phone?

sent from my Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok I think I get it. So it's just an ID for the phone number. We switch phone sims, turn one phone in and then switch them back with the new phone?

sent from my Note 3

Correct. The phone number follows the sim card.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Correct. The phone number follows the sim card.

And even with any switching of phones in the future we get to keep the same phone numbers. I get it. Thanks!

sent from my Note 3