Heading to Switzerland this Summer.

aspenedelen

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Later on this year I'll be heading to Europe with this new Note 3. How do I not get killed with data charges as I am on the Unlimited Plan here?

Should I take the sim card out of this beast and put it into a phone I buy over there or do I keep it in the N3 and the anty up to a international data plan?

I assume it isn't as simple as I think?

Posted via Android Central App

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Later on this year I'll be heading to Europe with this new Note 3. How do I not get killed with data charges as I am on the Unlimited Plan here?

Should I take the sim card out of this beast and put it into a phone I buy over there or do I keep it in the N3 and the anty up to a international data plan?

How long do you plan to stay in Switzerland? BTW that's a really nice choice of place there! :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

Wouldn't you get a better deal putting a Swiss Sim card in there?

if you can read this, you're standing too close

aspenedelen

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
How long do you plan to stay in Switzerland? BTW that's a really nice choice of place there! :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Agreed! I have been to Switzerland four times now, two in college and two separate vacations after college.

Ten days to two weeks with my 3 year old. I want him to start to realize the world is a much larger place than his 50 States adventure that he has just conquered.

aspenedelen

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't you get a better deal putting a Swiss Sim card in there?

I thought about that too but we are more than likely going to travel to Austria, Liechtenstein, Italy, France and Monaco on this trip.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I thought about that too but we are more than likely going to travel to Austria, Liechtenstein, Italy, France and Monaco on this trip.

If you're on Verizon do NOT go with an international plan as I know from experience they charge you an abso fortune for hardly anything. They used to have a good international plan around 5 yrs ago but now it's just ridiculous. This is from my experience of going to Scotland (homeland) as well as traveling in Europe with my family.

I got a sim (free from providers in the UK) - if I remember correctly you picked a sim based on the plan (pay as you go, sort of) you wanted. I got the sim free, then you pay like ?10 and had an allotment of data, text, calls I could make plus they gave a deal of pay X amount and get that same plan but with ? left over. With the provider I chose ("three") the money I have left over stays on the sim no matter how long in between it's not used. Which is perfect for me since there are times I'm not home for 6mos-2yrs.

You should look into what are the main providers in Switzerland and have a look at their plans online - that's what I did before going home to Scotland then I ordered the sim - but you can also just walk into a phone store and buy one on the plan (plan also includes pay as you go) you want. Also check out if they charge for roaming fees outside of Switzerland. I know some of the companies in the UK were stopping roaming charges in Europe and other selected countries.

Hope this opinion was a wee bit useful!

Sarks.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Agreed! I have been to Switzerland four times now, two in college and two separate vacations after college.

Ten days to two weeks with my 3 year old. I want him to start to realize the world is a much larger place than his 50 States adventure that he has just conquered.

3 years old . . . realize the world is much larger . . . 3 years . . . 3

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
As much as I needed Data, I ended up just waiting until I got into the hotel for Wifi and that made my trip much better. Sometimes you just need to get away from electronics and just enjoy what is in front of you. It took me few days to get used to it and it felt good.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
As much as I needed Data, I ended up just waiting until I got into the hotel for Wifi and that made my trip much better. Sometimes you just need to get away from electronics and just enjoy what is in front of you. It took me few days to get used to it and it felt good.

My bf has discovered the fieldtrip app and whilst we were over in washington dc/VA visiting friends he used it the whole time and loves it ...he's already looking into if he can use it in Europe.

I don't mind having data or not on holiday ("vacation") mostly I just use my phone as a camera or for gps if needed. But, I think my bf feels differently! I like to have data when I fly home to Scotland because I have family and friends wanting to call and text me as well as friends back here in California contacting me, so it's needed more.

aspenedelen

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
3 years old . . . realize the world is much larger . . . 3 years . . . 3

My goal as a father was to get my first born to all 50 states by the time he turned three. His 2nd to last trip was 19,000 miles from S.Dakota to Salt Lake to Death Valley to Sequoia Nat Park to Whistler, BC to Seattle to Salt Lake to Anchorage to Denali to Honolulu to the North Shore then onto Seattle then Idaho (50th state) and finally back home.

Now onto my second child, my daughter Stella.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
My goal as a father was to get my first born to all 50 states by the time he turned three. His 2nd to last trip was 19,000 miles from S.Dakota to Salt Lake to Death Valley to Sequoia Nat Park to Whistler, BC to Seattle to Salt Lake to Anchorage to Denali to Honolulu to the North Shore then onto Seattle then Idaho (50th state) and finally back home.

Now onto my second child, my daughter Stella.

This may come across as being mean or something but that's not how I intend it at all. Wouldn't it be better to have waited and did that with them when they're older and can remember it all? I don't know about everyone else out there but I for sure cannot remember anything I did or went before the age of about 5 yrs old. I know you can take photos and video but I think it would be cool for the kids to see a photo or whatever of themselves and be able to say like "oh I remember that, when we went to ---- and saw ----" know what I mean?

Hats off to you though for traveling all that distance with a toddler. I've looked after my 10 nieces and nephews but I think being trapped on an airplane with them for that amount of time I'd either lose my mind or jump from the plane! Ha

Sarks.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
This may come across as being mean or something but that's not how I intend it at all. Wouldn't it be better to have waited and did that with them when they're older and can remember it all? I don't know about everyone else out there but I for sure cannot remember anything I did or went before the age of about 5 yrs old. I know you can take photos and video but I think it would be cool for the kids to see a photo or whatever of themselves and be able to say like "oh I remember that, when we went to ---- and saw ----" know what I mean?

Hats off to you though for traveling all that distance with a toddler. I've looked after my 10 nieces and nephews but I think being trapped on an airplane with them for that amount of time I'd either lose my mind or jump from the plane! Ha

Sarks.

That's my point. I guess money and time are cheaper for some people, but it seems like an awesome idea like that gets lost on a wee lad. When I was three I pretty much only cared about candy and Scooby doo, and if I had gone to Mars I probably wouldn't have registered it at the time.

Good for you for putting all that effort into your goals for him though.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Please let us know how your Note 3 worked in Europe. In years past, I bought a global SIM before leaving for Europe and had nothing but trouble there with supposedly global-ready Verizon phones, Blackberry Storm and HTC Rezound.

aspenedelen

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
No worries as I get asked that all the time. What I tell people is my son's first memory is seeing a tennis ball that someone had thrown on the mountain in Park City. He remembers his first gondola ride in British Columbia, seeing his first bear and moose in Alaska. He remembers the Jeep that I rented while in Honolulu. He remembeds hanging with daddy while building sand castles on the North Shore while surfers did their thing in the ocean 100 yards away. He remembers the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. All of these memories plus thousands of others are recorded on camera and on video so as they get older they can look back and not only see how ridiculously cute they were as toddlers but my hope is that they will want to go back to some of these places and actually explore them.

The real reason I am taking these adventures with my children is to get them out of the closed minded world of our small town and to expose them to things most people in out country never see. My goal is to give my children the fundamentals of giving and exploring so as they get older they will make this world a better place. Ex. I took my son and volunteered at a local "welcome table" that feeds the less fortunate while on a trip. We have stopped to help the destitute on a Native American reservation. While in Alaska I showed my son to the effects of Global Warming on marine animals. While in Montana I took a selfie with my son and one of the last remaining glaciers in the background. We'll head back to Glacier Nat Park in 10 years and go to the same exact same spot the pic was taken and then I'll explain why the glacier is gone. While in Miami Beach we spent time picking up trash from a local park.

Anyway, it is all about my kids and helping them to understand it is a huge world out there and we can, albeit slowly, each help to make this world a better place for us and future generations.

Anthony

aspenedelen

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
If you're on Verizon do NOT go with an international plan as I know from experience they charge you an abso fortune for hardly anything. They used to have a good international plan around 5 yrs ago but now it's just ridiculous. This is from my experience of going to Scotland (homeland) as well as traveling in Europe with my family.

I got a sim (free from providers in the UK) - if I remember correctly you picked a sim based on the plan (pay as you go, sort of) you wanted. I got the sim free, then you pay like ?10 and had an allotment of data, text, calls I could make plus they gave a deal of pay X amount and get that same plan but with ? left over. With the provider I chose ("three") the money I have left over stays on the sim no matter how long in between it's not used. Which is perfect for me since there are times I'm not home for 6mos-2yrs.

You should look into what are the main providers in Switzerland and have a look at their plans online - that's what I did before going home to Scotland then I ordered the sim - but you can also just walk into a phone store and buy one on the plan (plan also includes pay as you go) you want. Also check out if they charge for roaming fees outside of Switzerland. I know some of the companies in the UK were stopping roaming charges in Europe and other selected countries.

Hope this opinion was a wee bit useful!

Sarks.

Awesome info, thanks! I presume I'll take the N3 along but use it to just make and take calls back to the States then buy a local phone and sim for my data usage. I can deal with .99 per minute calling to and from but data at $25.00 per mb is a tad bit hard for me to swallow when in Europe after the initial $25 fee for 100mb.

anna25anna

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Well, for travelling in Europe I recommend lemonsim sim card. I think that it will work perfectly in Switzerland too. It's a great no roaming fees sim card that you can order online. I have used it in the past. Their website is lemonsim.com and they deliver the sim cards to your home. I like it because it's not expensive. Maybe you should try it.

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
No worries as I get asked that all the time. What I tell people is my son's first memory is seeing a tennis ball that someone had thrown on the mountain in Park City. He remembers his first gondola ride in British Columbia, seeing his first bear and moose in Alaska. He remembers the Jeep that I rented while in Honolulu. He remembeds hanging with daddy while building sand castles on the North Shore while surfers did their thing in the ocean 100 yards away. He remembers the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. All of these memories plus thousands of others are recorded on camera and on video so as they get older they can look back and not only see how ridiculously cute they were as toddlers but my hope is that they will want to go back to some of these places and actually explore them.

The real reason I am taking these adventures with my children is to get them out of the closed minded world of our small town and to expose them to things most people in out country never see. My goal is to give my children the fundamentals of giving and exploring so as they get older they will make this world a better place. Ex. I took my son and volunteered at a local "welcome table" that feeds the less fortunate while on a trip. We have stopped to help the destitute on a Native American reservation. While in Alaska I showed my son to the effects of Global Warming on marine animals. While in Montana I took a selfie with my son and one of the last remaining glaciers in the background. We'll head back to Glacier Nat Park in 10 years and go to the same exact same spot the pic was taken and then I'll explain why the glacier is gone. While in Miami Beach we spent time picking up trash from a local park.

Anyway, it is all about my kids and helping them to understand it is a huge world out there and we can, albeit slowly, each help to make this world a better place for us and future generations.

Anthony

Your kids, your time, your money and your life. But from experience I can guarantee you when your son is 10 he will have almost no memory of things that occurred before he was 3....or even 5.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Your kids, your time, your money and your life. But from experience I can guarantee you when your son is 10 he will have almost no memory of things that occurred before he was 3....or even 5.

You have no idea if that is true. I remember things when I could barely see over the kitchen table while on tiptoes and I'm 57 now. My daughter remembers living in our old house when she was 3. So who are all of you that are saying these trips are wasted on his children? He is spending quality time with his children, making memories, and showing them the wonders of the world while he's at it. I applaud him for expanding his children's world. Good for him!

If more people were in a position to do this, it would be a less closed-minded world.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
You have no idea if that is true. I remember things when I could barely see over the kitchen table while on tiptoes and I'm 57 now. My daughter remembers living in our old house when she was 3. So who are all of you that are saying these trips are wasted on his children? He is spending quality time with his children, making memories, and showing them the wonders of the world while he's at it. I applaud him for expanding his children's world. Good for him!

If more people were in a position to do this, it would be a less closed-minded world.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

What did you do on your vacation when you were 2? Do you remember what your parents said the first time you pooped in the toilet rather than your diaper?

Remember...this is BEFORE his kid turned 3. Thus was 0, 1 or 2.

I calls them as I sees them.

aspenedelen

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site

Agree with you that it is my time, my money and my life and being able to choose to do this with my kids while I am 36 is truly amazing.
Just the other day my son, who is now 3.5 asked me when we are going back to Alaska to see the Bears and Moose. He knows the capital of Alabama, Nebraska and South Dakota. He says Yes Sir/Ma'am and Thank you Sir/Ma'am. He remembers the name of the nanny that has cared for the last three years in Clearwater Beach while I am away at a yearly conference. He can carry his own roller suitcase through the airport.

Being a father and watching my son do these things at such a young age gives me hope that he'll grow up to be a wonderful and loving human being who will try and make a positive difference in this world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz