HOW TO use S Voice & Google Now HANDS FREE or via BLUETOOTH with SECURITY LOCK SCREEN on your Note 3

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
HOW TO use S Voice & Google Now HANDS FREE or via BLUETOOTH with SECURITY LOCK SCREEN on your Note 3

HI all... after months of frustration and searching forums (for a solution to hands free operation with S Voice and/or via Bluetooth with a pattern security screen set using my Verizon Note 3 from rest - black screen) and digging through phone settings i stumbled upon this fix last evening... whew :eek: I am SO happy! Hope you will be to....
It's actually quite simple once all the settings are in place and caveats employed! :-[
THANKS to all those many forum posters and YouTube videos that got me this far to figure it out! Thank You!!
I have included 3 screen shots to assist as well as these instructions...
Turn on all theses settings for best results:

REMEMBER: you can use this hands free or via BT from an AT REST device (black screen) ONLY
1. Go to Apps> open S Voice> tap left soft key> Settings> √ "Open via the Home Key"; √ "Auto-start Speaker"; √ "Wakeup Command"; √ "Voice wake-up", after turning this on> LONG PRESS Voice Wake-up to reveal the hidden command> √ "wake up in Secure Lock".
1a. No, unfortunately, we cannot change the default command 'Hi Galaxy' on 4.3 with this device; maybe with KitKat....
2. Settings> Call> Call Accessories> OutGoing Call Conditions> Bluetooth Headset Settings> √ "Even When Device Locked"
CAVEAT 1: With the below suggestions, if you have previously set your phone with ANY Screen Security, please temporarily set to SWIPE for now as hidden settings will be revealed only when phone is in this unlocked screen state!
3. Settings> Lock Screen> Screen Security> √ "Swipe"; √ "Wake up in Lock Screen" - (DO NOT SET ANY wake-up functions if you have long pressed; do it later if so inclined)
CAVEAT 2: NOW please RESET your preferred Screen Security. BTW, i've tested Pattern, Pin, and Password only.

Believe it or not, these are all the settings needed to use your Note 3 handsfree with S Voice and/or Bluetooth enabled without having to enter your preferred screen security when lock screen shows from an AT REST DEVICE ONLY... it blows right through it.
You'll find that S Voice operates and becomes quite snappy with these changes too!
Obviously when you want to interface physically with the phone you'll have to enter your lock screen credentials.
BTW, as you can see, Hands free Driving Mode has not been engaged! (You can at any time, via S Voice menu settings, turn on this Mode).

Using Bluetooth:
1. Speak (from an at rest device dark screen; hands free)> "Hi Galaxy"> "Turn on Bluetooth" (there's no confirmation - it just does it).
CAVEAT 3: DO NOT PRESS the headset button to engage phone; INSTEAD, after you turn on your headset AND screen has gone black, speak> "Hi Galaxy" and she'll 'whisper' :p (yeah whatever) in your ear through your headset. Speak your commands as usual!

Using S Voice, to engage Google Now:
1. Speak (from an at rest device dark screen; hands free)> "Hi Galaxy"> "launch Google Voice Search"; Speak your Google Now command
CAVEAT 4: it seems, using google now, when the screen goes black again, it loses connection - speaking succinctly, clearly, and quickly, you'll get what you ask for spoken back, though if an action is required it will fail.
E.G.,: i tried to use google now to navigate to a destination... all went well until the screen went dark. Had to p/u the device, unlock, then press navigate to proceed! NOW, instead of using google, i asked S voice to navigate to said destination and VOILA, using google maps, it did it purrfectly without touching the device and screen stayed on!

BTW, since I use the device like a computer and run a business with lots of calling and emailing, any battery hit has been unoticed with these added settings changes; still get my customary 12-14 hours of daily usage. Your Mileage May Vary... Good Luck!
And PLEASE... keep your eyes facing up and outward when moving the body or operating heavy machinery, Or, your smartphone experience will become quite dumb! :'(
Peace

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-12-08-07-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-12-08-07-15.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Screenshot_2014-02-12-07-57-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-12-07-57-41.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 209
  • Screenshot_2014-02-12-07-57-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-12-07-57-18.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: HOW TO use S Voice & Google Now HANDS FREE or via BLUETOOTH with SECURITY LOCK SCREEN on your No

This sounds interesting I'm going to have to wade through all the instructions when I have more time. Thank you for sharing it.!

Deb from my Note 3

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: HOW TO use S Voice & Google Now HANDS FREE or via BLUETOOTH with SECURITY LOCK SCREEN on your No

You are welcome! Enjoy

Posted via Android Central App

bmr1230

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

This is great, except it won't work on the S4. Once I change it back to PIN, it won't work. I can't understand why Samsung requires you to enter a password while you have a paired bluetooth on. I don't make a lot of phone calls while driving, but the times that I need to, it becomes dangerous to use this phone. I may have to go back to my Nokia Windows phone. Samsung should learn a few things from Nokia's interface, which makes lives quite easy.

sferrell615

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

THANK YOU, SO MUCH! This is, by FAR, my biggest issue with Android / Samsung / Note 3. I had the S3 previously and eventually I was able to use Google Voice Search directly from my Bluetooth but - while S Voice is not as good - this is better than the alternative. BTW, I tried a variety of options before this, including Bluetooth Launch and Home 2 Shortcut (which allows you to change the result of double tapping the home button from S Voice to Google Voice Search); however, Bluetooth Launch doesn't work if your phone is at rest and locked (e.g pattern) and Google Voice Search fails to start more than 25% of the time (using Home 2 Shortcut).
I am still able to access Google Voice Search (e.g. to call companies that are not listed in my contact list) by saying "Google Voice Search" at the S Voice prompt after saying "Hi Galaxy". Unfortunately, while S Voice does open Google Voice Search the screen turns off; however, if you say "Call Pizza Hut Baltimore Maryland" it will make the call (if Google Voice Search is confident it knows who you wanted to call) and the Phone display turns on / appears.
Scott

ghostkey

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site

I'm hoping someone sees this as its a somewhat older thread.

Thanks so much for the solution, it worked great for a few weeks, but I believe since I received the Kit Kat update it no longer responds to 'hi Galaxy' through my Bluetooth headset. If the phone is near me and I say 'hi Galaxy' with the screen off, it will wake up with S-Voice and then I can speak through the headset but that doesn't help if my phone is in my bag and isn't the safest option when driving. I don't lock my phone, I just wanted a way to use my headset and not use Google Now since its the default now. I just don't like Google's version, it just doesn't seem to work as well or give as many options as S-Voice. I guess for now I'll just always have to have the phone near me if I want to make a call hands free.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Thanks! I will have to try this out!👍

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size Does Matter!"

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm hoping someone sees this as its a somewhat older thread.

Thanks so much for the solution, it worked great for a few weeks, but I believe since I received the Kit Kat update it no longer responds to 'hi Galaxy' through my Bluetooth headset. If the phone is near me and I say 'hi Galaxy' with the screen off, it will wake up with S-Voice and then I can speak through the headset but that doesn't help if my phone is in my bag and isn't the safest option when driving. I don't lock my phone, I just wanted a way to use my headset and not use Google Now since its the default now. I just don't like Google's version, it just doesn't seem to work as well or give as many options as S-Voice. I guess for now I'll just always have to have the phone near me if I want to make a call hands free.

You might try rolling back the recent update to Google Search, and perhaps even turning it off. I had certain Bluetooth problems (inconsistent connection, having Voice Dialer come up when the screen was off, instead of S-Voice), and doing this resolved my problems. No ill effects from having Google Search turned off so far, and I think S-Voice works just fine with Bluetooth for placing calls or initiating other actions.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Thanks! I will have to try this out!👍

"Size Does Matter!"

I set this up so I can open with S voice from my pin number screen, and it works Great!!👌
And I love it when you can open those "secret" menu's!
Thank you so much!😆

"Size Does Matter!"

Lee Knowles

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site

Do we know if this available now on the note 2?????????

IT_Architect

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

I migrated from Windows Mobile 6.5. I love the new hardware, but what makes me sick is IOS and Android have been both like a trip back in time compared to WM. You need to root to get basic functionality. OTOH, Microsoft turned off Bing navigation for Windows Mobile, it's not 4G, and the screen is too small to be effective for web work. Thus, I settled for Android and the Note 3 to be able to get back at least some semblance of call recording, good handwriting recognition, some semblance of voice recognition, and some form of navigation. The Handsfree and S-Voice had me wondering what, if any, relationship there was, and how to get around all manner of strange behavior. Your article helped.

Elodia Maldonado

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for your detailed information. These settings worked great on my Samsung S3. It even solved the "confirm call" problem I was having.
Thanks again.

AndroydUzer

May 24, 2015
Visit site

Thanks a ton! I've been unable to use the Voice Dialing feature for ages because of the Screen Lock. Don't know if this was only recently fixed, but I can even use the Voice Dialing directly from the Bluetooth, thereby skipping that "Turn On Bluetooth" step you mentioned.

Using the bluetooth headset I just:
1) Click the Mic button on the headset (unfortunately no sound tells you that it "acknowledged" your click, but it still works)
2) Speak your "Wake-Up" Command into the headset
-- The phone will now wake up and S Voice says a prompt in your ear
3) Speak your command to S-Voice and it takes over the rest

The important note is that in Step 1 you won't get any kind of audio confirmation that pressing the mic button does anything. I was expecting that pressing the button would wake it up as if I had said the Wake Up Command, but in reality all it does is turn on the microphone for a few seconds and allows you to say your Wake Up Command through the headset.

Hope this helps!

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

HI all... after months of frustration and searching forums (for a solution to hands free operation with S Voice and/or via Bluetooth with a pattern security screen set using my Verizon Note 3 from rest - black screen) and digging through phone settings i stumbled upon this fix last evening... whew :eek: I am SO happy! Hope you will be to....
It's actually quite simple once all the settings are in place and caveats employed! :-[
THANKS to all those many forum posters and YouTube videos that got me this far to figure it out! Thank You!!
I have included 3 screen shots to assist as well as these instructions...
Turn on all theses settings for best results:

REMEMBER: you can use this hands free or via BT from an AT REST device (black screen) ONLY
1. Go to Apps> open S Voice> tap left soft key> Settings> √ "Open via the Home Key"; √ "Auto-start Speaker"; √ "Wakeup Command"; √ "Voice wake-up", after turning this on> LONG PRESS Voice Wake-up to reveal the hidden command> √ "wake up in Secure Lock".
1a. No, unfortunately, we cannot change the default command 'Hi Galaxy' on 4.3 with this device; maybe with KitKat....
2. Settings> Call> Call Accessories> OutGoing Call Conditions> Bluetooth Headset Settings> √ "Even When Device Locked"
CAVEAT 1: With the below suggestions, if you have previously set your phone with ANY Screen Security, please temporarily set to SWIPE for now as hidden settings will be revealed only when phone is in this unlocked screen state!
3. Settings> Lock Screen> Screen Security> √ "Swipe"; √ "Wake up in Lock Screen" - (DO NOT SET ANY wake-up functions if you have long pressed; do it later if so inclined)
CAVEAT 2: NOW please RESET your preferred Screen Security. BTW, i've tested Pattern, Pin, and Password only.

Believe it or not, these are all the settings needed to use your Note 3 handsfree with S Voice and/or Bluetooth enabled without having to enter your preferred screen security when lock screen shows from an AT REST DEVICE ONLY... it blows right through it.
You'll find that S Voice operates and becomes quite snappy with these changes too!
Obviously when you want to interface physically with the phone you'll have to enter your lock screen credentials.
BTW, as you can see, Hands free Driving Mode has not been engaged! (You can at any time, via S Voice menu settings, turn on this Mode).

Using Bluetooth:
1. Speak (from an at rest device dark screen; hands free)> "Hi Galaxy"> "Turn on Bluetooth" (there's no confirmation - it just does it).
CAVEAT 3: DO NOT PRESS the headset button to engage phone; INSTEAD, after you turn on your headset AND screen has gone black, speak> "Hi Galaxy" and she'll 'whisper' :p (yeah whatever) in your ear through your headset. Speak your commands as usual!

Using S Voice, to engage Google Now:
1. Speak (from an at rest device dark screen; hands free)> "Hi Galaxy"> "launch Google Voice Search"; Speak your Google Now command
CAVEAT 4: it seems, using google now, when the screen goes black again, it loses connection - speaking succinctly, clearly, and quickly, you'll get what you ask for spoken back, though if an action is required it will fail.
E.G.,: i tried to use google now to navigate to a destination... all went well until the screen went dark. Had to p/u the device, unlock, then press navigate to proceed! NOW, instead of using google, i asked S voice to navigate to said destination and VOILA, using google maps, it did it purrfectly without touching the device and screen stayed on!

BTW, since I use the device like a computer and run a business with lots of calling and emailing, any battery hit has been unoticed with these added settings changes; still get my customary 12-14 hours of daily usage. Your Mileage May Vary... Good Luck!
And PLEASE... keep your eyes facing up and outward when moving the body or operating heavy machinery, Or, your smartphone experience will become quite dumb! :'(
Peace

Also to add to this: My phone would not obey the voice command to "answer or reject".
To get it to work: settings>phone>sounds and notification - Uncheck vibrate when ringing.
Doesn't make sense but now it works!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"

cattledogit

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site

Lee Knowles wrote:
> Do we know if this available now on the note 2?????????

I now invoke Google Now instead of S Voice by pressing the button on my headset (with settings: Google Now -> Settings -> Voice -> "Ok Google" detection -> Personal results "On").

I couldn't locate "Even When Device Locked" on my Sprint Note 2 running stock version L900VPUCNE2, rooted. Using 3C Toolbox I was able to Freeze the system app S Voice (Apps manager -> Apps -> System), which probably requires root. Freezing it was necessary to prevent S Voice from conflicting with Google Now.

IT_Architect wrote:
> IOS and Android have been both like a trip back in time compared to WM

Couldn't agree more. It took many months and apps to get back the basic functionality I relied on WM for.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo