Chrome black screen fix

fdisker

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Here's a fix for those of you dealing with the annoying chrome "black screen". This issue crops up for some when chrome doesn't properly refresh open tabs or when chrome sits in the background for some period of time. For me, I'd get a black screen in as little as two or three minutes of inactivity. The problem started when chrome updated itself a few months ago.

Anyway, here's the fix:

Go to chrome:// flags and scroll to Delegated Renderer (AKA ?bercompositor) then switch it from default to enabled

I don't take credit for the fix. I found it only after becoming very annoyed by it and was determined to find a fix.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I've also noticed if you just scroll really fast it is a temporary fix. Not fast actually... just scroll any amount and the screen comes right back.

Agreed that it is annoying and I am going to do this fix, but the other is a temporary thing I have been doing.

jcampbell1070

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone else confirm that this is a work a round. Its not I dont trust you. I just want to know if anyone else is having good results

Posted via Android Central App

fdisker

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I pulled the fix from a 7 page Google groups thread. Everyone that said they tried it reported it worked for them.

fdisker

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, should have referenced the original thread in my first post. Here it is. Fix was posted on page six of the thread.

Glad the fix worked for you. I've seen no side effects from the change.

raymcgill

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
My black screen was solid. I couldn't see Chrome to navigate.

1. Went to Application Manager in phone settings
2. killed running chrome
3. restarted and it asked me to sign in and was fine.

nkoleszar

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Tried this fix but then this forum page refused to finish rendering. Used 'disabled' instead of 'enabled' and now the page renders ok. Not sure yet if it fixes the blank page problem.

Chrome 36.0.1985.131 on android 4.2.2

Bob Haya

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
here's a fix for those of you dealing with the annoying chrome "black screen". This issue crops up for some when chrome doesn't properly refresh open tabs or when chrome sits in the background for some period of time. For me, i'd get a black screen in as little as two or three minutes of inactivity. The problem started when chrome updated itself a few months ago.

Anyway, here's the fix:

Go to chrome:// flags and scroll to delegated renderer (aka �bercompositor) then switch it from default to enabled

i don't take credit for the fix. I found it only after becoming very annoyed by it and was determined to find a fix.

changing font size in settings, everytime it occurs, fixed it for me