Tap & Pay Functionality on Note 3 Running KitKat?

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
The suspense is killing me to know whether or not Verizon will block the tap & pay functionality when they roll out Kit Kat for the Note 3. Apparently T-Mo has blocked it for their Note 3, yet they allow it on their other Kit Kat updated phones like the HTC One. The way Verizon handles this will indeed affect my decision of whether or not to switch back to a Note 3. I'm not-so-patiently waiting for the update before I decide.

**UPDATE** 3/14/14 - I gave in and switched back to a Note 3 today (for the 3rd time). Feels good to be back. I used ISIS to pay for my groceries earlier. Oh well.

Last edited:

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Tap & Pay Functionality on Note 3 Running Kit Kat?

You can use Isis to tap and pay right now. While I loved using Google wallet, Isis has been just as good for me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Just downloaded it it is awesome! Super fast!

The way that Google wallet is set up in kitkat their is no way for the carrier to block it. If it doesn't work in kitkat then that's at the fault of the manufacturer not the carrier.

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

Good point jweimn. I wonder what Samsung did differently in the S4 vs the Note 3.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

The suspense is killing me to know whether or not Verizon will block the tap & pay functionality when they roll out Kit Kat for the Note 3. Apparently T-Mo has blocked it for their Note 3, yet they allow it on their other Kit Kat updated phones like the HTC One. The way Verizon handles this will indeed affect my decision of whether or not to switch back to a Note 3. I'm not-so-patiently waiting for the update before I decide.
I see no reason for this to affect phone buying decision.

Wallet basically chains you to Android and a Google Account.

I like choice and I like services that are platform agnostic, especially when they fall into this category.

I will use Isis if I ever feel the need to jump onto the mobile payments bandwagon.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

The way that Google wallet is set up in kitkat their is no way for the carrier to block it. If it doesn't work in kitkat then that's at the fault of the manufacturer not the carrier.

Wrong, it is CARRIER blocked on the T-mobile note 3, kitkat enabled it on the Sprint note 3, it was blocked by Sprint when running JB, kitkat simply changes security, it no longer requires a secure SIM, so it may be easier to bypass the carrier lock, but the carriers DO have the ability to block it, and I would bet Verizon will also, they want you to use Isis

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

I like choice and I like services that are platform agnostic, especially when they fall into this category.

I will use Isis if I ever feel the need to jump onto the mobile payments bandwagon.

I too like choice...the CHOICE to be able to use Google Wallet instead of ISIS if I so choose.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I too like choice...the CHOICE to be able to use Google Wallet instead of ISIS if I so choose.

Both of them restrict choice. One just less so than the other. Just depends on whether you find platform mobility as important as I do.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Ricardo Barba

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

Neither is correct:
"Once Visa and MasterCard enable HCE support, Google should be able to enable tap-to-pay for consumers who use their cards instead of resorting to inelegant workarounds." It looks like Visa and MasterCard are working on this and Google Wallet Tap-to-pay via KitKat will be enabled once it's ready.
Your card information will be the cloud with HCE vs. on the secure element. This is why "Only devices using Android 4.4 (KitKat), or higher, will need a network connection once a day to tap and pay", per Google's instructions on how to tap and pay. Again, it looks like Visa and MasterCard are working on enabling the "storage" of the card data in the cloud. I'm guessing Wallet will receive an update when this happens? Do a search for "Visa MasterCard and HCE" to find out more. Looks like it's imminent afterall!

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Neither is correct:
"Once Visa and MasterCard enable HCE support, Google should be able to enable tap-to-pay for consumers who use their cards instead of resorting to inelegant workarounds." It looks like Visa and MasterCard are working on this and Google Wallet Tap-to-pay via KitKat will be enabled once it's ready.
Your card information will be the cloud with HCE vs. on the secure element. This is why "Only devices using Android 4.4 (KitKat), or higher, will need a network connection once a day to tap and pay", per Google's instructions on how to tap and pay. Again, it looks like Visa and MasterCard are working on enabling the "storage" of the card data in the cloud. I'm guessing Wallet will receive an update when this happens? Do a search for "Visa MasterCard and HCE" to find out more. Looks like it's imminent afterall!

Not sure I understand what you're saying, I have my wallet balance, and two Visa cards, I can select any one of the three to make a tap and pay purchase, or a combination of my wallet balance and a Visa

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Wrong, it is CARRIER blocked on the T-mobile note 3, kitkat enabled it on the Sprint note 3, it was blocked by Sprint when running JB, kitkat simply changes security, it no longer requires a secure SIM, so it may be easier to bypass the carrier lock, but the carriers DO have the ability to block it, and I would bet Verizon will also, they want you to use Isis

I'm sorry but no you are wrong please do your homework.

With the inclusion of android 4.4 kitkat Google wallet changed from using a secure element on the phone to a host card emulation all stored online. Now with the secured element on the phone the carrier could easily lock it down. With HCE the carrier has no way of blocking it as it is all handled off of the device and online with no way to block that. So yes it can and is supposed to work on 4.4 kitkat, the only one that can truly block it is the manufacturer but that is due to hardware limitations mainly.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

I'm sorry but no you are wrong please do your homework.

With the inclusion of android 4.4 kitkat Google wallet changed from using a secure element on the phone to a host card emulation all stored online. Now with the secured element on the phone the carrier could easily lock it down. With HCE the carrier has no way of blocking it as it is all handled off of the device and online with no way to block that. So yes it can and is supposed to work on 4.4 kitkat, the only one that can truly block it is the manufacturer but that is due to hardware limitations mainly.

I understand the changes that were made, I also know that tap and pay now works great on a Sprint note 3 with kitkat, and does not work on a T-Mobile note 3 with kitkat, it has been blocked by T-Mobile, directly, or indirectly through the manufacture, the carrier, has in fact, blocked it

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I understand the changes that were made, I also know that tap and pay now works great on a Sprint note 3 with kitkat, and does not work on a T-Mobile note 3 with kitkat, it has been blocked by T-Mobile, directly, or indirectly through the manufacture, the carrier, has in fact, blocked it

It's more along the lines of manufacturer. I will agree sure maybe due to some persistence by the carrier to take that out.

Also i will add with the DROID maxx on Verizon Google wallet works fine.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

It's more along the lines of manufacturer. I will agree sure maybe due to some persistence by the carrier to take that out.

Also i will add with the DROID maxx on Verizon Google wallet works fine.

I agree that it should be easier to work around, now that a secured SIM is not needed, and, everyone thought that the change would open it up to everyone on kitkat, but T-Mobile, and I assume Verizon will follow suit, are still able to try and force ISIS on their customers.

smhism

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

I signed up for ISIS simply because they were doing a free $40 credit deal w/ an amercian express SERVE card. After signing up, I checked the availability of ISIS tap to pay. There were fifteen McDonald restaurants listed, and maybe four shops in the local mall, none of which I'd ever shop at. Needless to say, that $40 credit might be on my account for a while.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

I signed up for ISIS simply because they were doing a free $40 credit deal w/ an amercian express SERVE card. After signing up, I checked the availability of ISIS tap to pay. There were fifteen McDonald restaurants listed, and maybe four shops in the local mall, none of which I'd ever shop at. Needless to say, that $40 credit might be on my account for a while.

Isis works at any tap to pay location. Anywhere wallet is usable, isis is usable.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

So isis should work at any location that has the reader head on their card swipe system? Gotta check that out. I really don't like the idea Google is storing our cards off the device in the cloud. Makes an easy target.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

Isis works at any tap to pay location. Anywhere wallet is usable, isis is usable.

Isis will work where the underlying payment account is accepted + an ISIS compatible terminal + correct phase of the moon. The Google solution has, while not perfect, a much more extensible framework for payment processing.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

So isis should work at any location that has the reader head on their card swipe system? Gotta check that out. I really don't like the idea Google is storing our cards off the device in the cloud. Makes an easy target.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Yes it works with all the PayPass machines, etc. And the payment info is stored in the secure element of your SIM card or phone's NFC chip.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Isis will work where the underlying payment account is accepted + an ISIS compatible terminal + correct phase of the moon. The Google solution has, while not perfect, a much more extensible framework for payment processing.

I've never seen Isis fail to work where wallet does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol