Verizon Note 3: Wifi connection unstable

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking this might be an issue with note 3? At least 4-5 times a day I get a message saying my wifi connection is unstable. I have a brand new modem from xfinity with great wifi & excellent signal. Odd

sent from my Note 3

Last edited by a moderator:

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Wifi connection unstable

I'm thinking this might be an issue with note 3? At least 4-5 times a day I get a message saying my wifi connection is unstable. I have a brand new modem from xfinity with great wifi & excellent signal. Odd

sent from my Note 3

I also have Xfinity and my Verizon Note3 has excellent WiFi through out my entire house (upstairs, main level and basement) and every where else that I go where I use WiFi. Not sure why your having problems, At my office I have an old Linksys E2000 NRouter and it even works flawless with that. I don't have KitKat and I'm not rooted, that might be why.

Last edited:

MrWinner77

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

I was having the same problem with my ASUS router. What I did was go into my router settings and create separate SSID's for the 2.4Ghz band and 5Ghz band and haven't had the problem since.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

This is a well known issue and there are other threads on it.

VZW is aware and it will be fixed in the next upgrade.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

I also have Xfinity and my Verizon Note3 has excellent WiFi through out my entire house (upstairs, main level and basement) and every where else that I go where I use WiFi. Not sure why your having problems, At my office I have an old Linksys E2000 NRouter and it even works flawless with that. I don't have KitKat and I'm not rooted, that might be why.

I don't have kitkat and I'm not rooted either. Don't know. Very odd

sent from my Note 3

Chucky1

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Both my AT&T and Verizon Note 3 ' s have had this problem. In my case, it is the router and hopefully resolved today.

Joeboy22

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone.

I've had my Note 3 since October and have been having EXACTLY the same issues with wifi as all you good people have stated.
I Tried all the so called 'fixes' but none of them worked. In the end I sent my Phone back to Samsung in the UK and they've fixed it.
The notes on the repair sheet said they'd 'upgraded the software'. Before I tried the phone I told the guy in the shop that I'd done all the updates known to man and doubted it had been fixed. He said that Samsung do a 'Level 2 software upgrade' that users cannot do.
Although when I turned the phone on it still prompted me for a 'firmware' update. But bottom line is that I've been using it for 3 days and it's fine. I sent mine back through the car phone warehouse in the UK and got it back in 9 days.

I hope this helps someone out there.

Joe

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
All of Samsung's devices on 4.3+ do that.

I've never had the phone throw that error without having actually experienced an issue with the Wi-Fi. Those issues may not be apparent to you, and you may think your connection should be flawless, but it can be a number of factors that cause the phone to issue the notice (high packet loss, very slow speeds - especially for those on DSL connections if you're uploading often your ISP will throttle your download speeds down to nothing, weak signal, etc. etc.).

Mine does it here and there due to my Linksys router going bad. I know it's the router, because whenever the phone does it, it means I can probably look forward to the connection on my PCs going to "Limited" (which usually means they aren't connected to the Internet) :) Often if I log into the router admin panel it will force it to reconnect things (which is odd because all I have to do is just log in and it fixes itself, Lol).

I'm getting rid of the router soon.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
My note 3 has no problems with wifi. Most likely the problems lay elsewhere. To say that all note 3's have wifi problems just isn't accurate.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Yep same here. Just got the replacement order.
First battery drain , than WiFi connectivity, ghost screens (in call) camera flash , camera app, screensaver freezing ... And finally Mic stopped working yesterday.
The most expensive phone , huh?!
I guess I'm gonna have to buy her G2 and sell the refurbished one.

Posted via Android Central App
VZW Moto X

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
All the years that I've been using cell/smartphones (and I've had plenty), I've only had one problem (Blackberry Z10 reboot issue). I must be the luckiest man in the world (knocking on wood). I never have any of the problems with any of my devices that I read about in these forums.....I use to think they were all USER error and I know that a lot are, but sometimes it can be a bad batch. I always purchase my devices from a corporate carrier store and be mindful of what goes on my devices (updates,app, widgets, cases..ect.). I don't have any problems with wifi or anything else for that matter with my Verizon Note3 or 5s. I hope it stays that way....I'm really thinking about NOT downloading KitKat when it's finally released by Verizon for the Note3 because of all the war stories. My Note3 runs nice and smooth with JellyBean, and I wouldn't want it to run like KitKat crap.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Lucky you. From the day one on Android I had problems and never messed w phones. My friends too. The first and only phone w/o prob is my Moto X.
My wife's note 3 is as clean and plain as it gets and just in the first week started having issues. I don't mind fixing and working w Android but for an average user I don't know what to recommend anymore. I was convinced that at least flagships from 2013 (s800) would be flawless.

Posted via Android Central App
VZW Moto X

hcane466

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I was getting a wifi unstable alert when home even though my wifi was working.
When I went somewhere where there was wifi I would get wifi unstable and it would not stay on.
I read about this issue and I tried this fix..I turned the wifi search to ON and then I pulled the battery. When I turned phone back on the first notification message I got was you wifi is stable and so far I haven't received one the said wifi unstable. An the wifi is stable, I've never seen that before.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I had the unstable business with the Note 2. Happened right after a software update and don't remember which one it was. I recently sold my Note 2 and when I turned it on, there it was again. Note 3 no problems at all. If it were me I'd try a different router. I didn't bother with the Note 2 because I knew I was shortly upgrading to the 3.

forseti

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Just a suggestion here...

If you have multiple access points set up with the same SSID from different manufacturers, go beyond just checking that the SSID and password to access the network is the same...also go a bit deeper and check they actual type of encryption used. For example, I put a new router in the house to cover a weak signal area configured just as just an AP. The SSID and password to access the network was a match for my primary router. However, there was a subtle difference I missed in the initial configuration, where the primary router was set to WPA2, and the secondary AP was set to WPA/WPA2. This had the unfortunate effect of using only AES on the primary router, but TKIP on the secondary AP. Wireless devices would not shift seamlessly between the two access points with this minor configuration difference, as they had to reauthenticate with a different mechanism each time. My Galaxy Note 3 would shift back and forth all the time, reporting back an unstable network configuration.

This was easy to clean up, I just set everything to WPA2/AES only. I also realized I had no more 802.11g devices in the house, and set both routers/AP's to support 802.11n only.

With a Galaxy Note 3, you can "scan" the details between multiple access points as you move around by dialing in *#0011# Choose the wifi menu from the menu button. A high level of detail on the wifi connection will be revealed. Move between the AP's that the phone thinks are "unstable" and see what settings change. If there is a difference in the encryption used as you move away from one and closer to another, you have a configuration issue where the AP's don't have critical settings set up as a match.

This could also happen if you authenticated to two entirely different networks in close proximity, like a neighbors open network either deliberately or by accident. Your device may jump back and forth between the two. Make sure you force the phone to "forget" the network that is not yours to avoid this.

Minor setting differences can be easy to miss, especially if the configuration screens are different due to the two pieces of equipment being built by different manufacturers, or entirely different networks in close proximity. Best if you make sure its all set to WPA2/AES only, and generally always avoid connecting to "open" networks. Force the "forgetting" of any open networks you previously authenticated to, to avoid the chance your phone will lock onto one just because someone used the same SSID of a previous open network you came across.

Jonna M1

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

If you have multiple access points set up with the same SSID from different manufacturers, go beyond just checking that the SSID and password to access the network is the same...also go a bit deeper and check they actual type of encryption used. For example, I put a new router in the house to cover a weak signal area configured just as just an AP. The SSID and password to access the network was a match for my primary router. However, there was a subtle difference I missed in the initial configuration, where the primary router was set to WPA2, and the secondary AP was set to WPA/WPA2. This had the unfortunate effect of using only AES on the primary router, but TKIP on the secondary AP. Wireless devices would not shift seamlessly between the two access points with this minor configuration difference, as they had to reauthenticate with a different mechanism each time. My Galaxy Note 3 would shift back and forth all the time, reporting back an unstable network configuration.

This was easy to clean up, I just set everything to WPA2/AES only. I also realized I had no more 802.11g devices in the house, and set both routers/AP's to support 802.11n only.

With a Galaxy Note 3, you can "scan" the details between multiple access points as you move around by dialing in *#0011# Choose the wifi menu from the menu button. A high level of detail on the wifi connection will be revealed. Move between the AP's that the phone thinks are "unstable" and see what settings change. If there is a difference in the encryption used as you move away from one and closer to another, you have a configuration issue where the AP's don't have critical settings set up as a match.

This could also happen if you authenticated to two entirely different networks in close proximity, like a neighbors open network either deliberately or by accident. Your device may jump back and forth between the two. Make sure you force the phone to "forget" the network that is not yours to avoid this.

Minor setting differences can be easy to miss, especially if the configuration screens are different due to the two pieces of equipment being built by different manufacturers, or entirely different networks in close proximity. Best if you make sure its all set to WPA2/AES only, and generally always avoid connecting to "open" networks. Force the "forgetting" of any open networks you previously authenticated to, to avoid the chance your phone will lock onto one just because someone used the same SSID of a previous open network you came across.

Mine is set to wpa2/aes only. I recently bought the 3 because my 2 hated it's cracked screen. It wasn't charging yada yada.. I saw that that's not my note 2 fault while looking at issues on this 3. If I'm required to confirm to use WiFi. .. it mostly never loads the page. His s3 is connected to the same wifi..while my new note 3 does nada. It's one thing after the other with this stoopid phone. I could list lots. But not connecting to wifi is not acceptable! Nothing has helped .. I'm nothing short of returning this device. I miss my 2!

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

Thank you! !!