Verizon Note 3: Running Hot with Fast Batter Drain

robastewart

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Out of the blue this morning, my Galaxy Note 3 is running very hot while idle (holstered). The unit is housed in an Otterbox Defender case, and the excessive heat is noticeable through the back of the case. And the battery is draining at about 3 times the normal rate, with virtually no use this morning. I've only checked email a time or two, for no more than 5 minutes each time. I have powered it down. Any suggestions what this could be and what to do when I power it back on?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Running Hot with Fast Batter Drain

Hard to say what it may have been. Might have been as simple as a stuck app.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

Make sure you close apps you aren't currently using so they're not running in the background by holding down the home key of it works the same as the galaxy s4.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using AC Forums mobile app

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Hard reset the phone and check to see what you have most recently installed and what apps are running the most. See if the magnetic closure on the phone holster is causing the screen to wake up.

Posted via Android Central App

robastewart

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the suggestions. Deactivated all the apps running in the background. Saw on another thread about disengaging Google Play Services, and that seems to have done the trick. Let the phone battery power down to just 1%, then charged overnight. Today the battery drain was back to normal. Went more than half the work day before dropping below 90%. That's sitting idle most the time, of course, with an occasional check of email and texts. Who knows what a normal battery drain really is; but it's sure easy to tell when it's draining faster that what's normal for the individual user.

robastewart

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

Forgot to say that after disnegaging Google Play Services, powered off the phone, then rebooted and reengaged Goolge Play Services.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like it was that weird camera issue that crops up occasionally on some devices. Same exact thing harkened to me.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Out of the blue this morning, my Galaxy Note 3 is running very hot while idle (holstered). The unit is housed in an Otterbox Defender case, and the excessive heat is noticeable through the back of the case. And the battery is draining at about 3 times the normal rate, with virtually no use this morning. I've only checked email a time or two, for no more than 5 minutes each time. I have powered it down. Any suggestions what this could be and what to do when I power it back on?

Thanks.

If that happens again, look at battery usage (settings->general->battery) and see if the top item is mm-qcamera-daemon. If it is, simply reboot the phone. It's a bug, triggered by apps that "call" the camera. Google & Samsung are aware of the issue and say it'll be fixed in next release.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
If that happens again, look at battery usage (settings->general->battery) and see if the top item is mm-qcamera-daemon. If it is, simply reboot the phone. It's a bug, triggered by apps that "call" the camera. Google & Samsung are aware of the issue and say it'll be fixed in next release.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

That's what happened to mine after I used Instagram one morning.