Note 3 Screen Self Replacement Success

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Even if your N3 is in a case with a raised edge, it may not be enough protection when dropped face down in a parking lot. Screen protector or not, if there is even the smallest pebble in the parking lot, it may be tall enough to damage the large screen. This was the case for me. First cracked screen in my history of many phones. I am amazed when i see so many people with no case at all! Fortunately the phone was still fully operational while I waited for super overpriced parts to arrive. I opted for the screen/ digitizer complete replacement even though I ordered the cheap glass only as a consideration. The problem with the risky glass only replacement, is even though it is cheaper, if a mistake is made in the process, my phone would be useless until the screen/ digitizer arrived. Minimizing downtime was the ultimate goal. The biggest surprise was that the s pen mat was not included in the screen digitizer sandwich which made for a salvage challenge. This is the best dis-assembly video I could find:

If anyone is cornered into attempting this themselves, feel free to ask any questions here. A bit of a learning curve for my first one, but it's not actually too bad to do if you take your time and are extra careful. :)

smhism

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Congrats on getting your phone fixed, but that's a whole lot of NOPE! haha. Just out of curiosity, how was were the replacement parts compared to doing an insurance claim?

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I never do insurance as it doesn't cover loss which is more likely for me than damage. I also don't want to pay a deductible and have to spend time recustomizing a new phone or waiting on a warranty repair . I use my phone daily for everything so I would rather fix it myself and minimize the downtime. The screen is abut 200 at the time I did the repair which is close to how much I paid for it!

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow, great job and congrats! Not sure I would have the patience (or steady hand) for something like this.
Thanks for sharing!

smhism

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I never do insurance as it doesn't cover loss which is more likely for me than damage. I also don't want to pay a deductible and have to spend time recustomizing a new phone or waiting on a warranty repair . I use my phone daily for everything so I would rather fix it myself and minimize the downtime. The screen is abut 200 at the time I did the repair which is close to how much I paid for it!

Insurance on VZW does cover loss, you just have to file a police report in order for your claim to be processed. Luckily for me, I've only been without a phone for a day or two at most when I've had to file a claim (they usually next day it I believe). It's good to know the option of doing a home repair is there, but like BBSeattle, my lack of patience and steadiness would end up causing more damage. I tried repairing my original BB Storm way back when, and ended up not being able to use the lock button until my insurance replacement came in!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Ins with Verizon covers loss and theft. Assurion. Worth it. I never have insured my devices but with my Samsung a must have. Never know what can happen.

Posted from my awesome Note3

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

As others have said Verizon's insurance or Asurion as that is whom you have to go through covers lost and theft as well as damage.

My friend had hers stollen, she filed a police report then called Asurion and had a new phone within 2 days.

My (then bf now husband) accidently broke my screen a few months ago. It was a Friday evening - we went into a Verizon store and they gave us the info to call Asurion or to file online. We filed on Saturday afternoon/early evening - paid the $99 deductible and I had a new phone Monday morning. Which were better than the quotes we were getting to have the screen fixed/replaced, plus a lot less hassle.

Also liked that they told me to keep the battery and charging cable so now my husband and I have a spare if needed. :)

Having the insurance is definitely worth it I believe.

Posted via Android Central App

atithi

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
My Verizon Note3 has cracked LCD and I was told by a repair shop that if I or they replace it we will have to have verizon reprogram the phone at $40 cost as the smart chip embedded in the replacement LCD assembly does not let phone go on CDMA network. I watched the clip on self replacing it and before I order the parts, I wanted to see if anyone has encountered this issue. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Atithi

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon Note3 has cracked LCD and I was told by a repair shop that if I or they replace it we will have to have verizon reprogram the phone at $40 cost as the smart chip embedded in the replacement LCD assembly does not let phone go on CDMA network.
Atithi

This is not true, unless there has been some hardware change on newer Note3s since I did mine in March.