Note 3: Testing my theory on random reboots

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This may seem a little far fetched but I'm giving it a try anyway.

My phone recently started doing random reboots. The thought that perhaps with a case on my phone gets a little too warm and might be causing this came to mind this morning. I have a very lightweight case but in my mind that doesn't mean that even getting a little too warm might cause problems.

This maybe especially true because I keep my phone in my purse approximately 6 to 8 hours a day while I'm at work. Therefore it gets even warmer. It doesn't feel hot to the touch but the Note 3 is a very thin phone and so perhaps even getting a touch too warm might make it act up.

So I took the case off about 4 hours ago and so far not one reboot. 4 hours is certainly not long enough to make any kind of determination whatsoever so as much as I don't want to leave the case of I feel a test needs to be done.

If anyone else wants to give it a try and report back it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Deb from my Note 3

Last edited by a moderator:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: Testing my theory on random reboots

I've had like two random reboots but it never happened again after the second time. I can't test anything out :(

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Testing my theory on random reboots

Is the case metal?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Just building on dpham00's theory. If phone is in purse, it has to go through the purse material to get signal (cell, GPS, WiFi). Depending upon the material composition, the radios may have to work hard to get and maintain signal. This in turn generates heat, even when phone is idle (since its in purse). Add on a case that essentially acts like a blanket, and combine that with limited air circulation inside the purse; it's feasible that phone is overheating.

While I don't use a purse, this is an interesting discussion. Could possibly happen with a backpack or CamelBak, and if warm temps and direct sunlight are at play, then could see the phone getting hot.

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I had a case that was to tight once and it put to much pressure on the screen...it made the phone wig out...no case or different case no problem. Let us know how it works it for you.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The phone isn't always in my purse when it suffers from random reboots and freezing screens. In fact when its in my purse I wouldn't even know when the reboots are occurring because I can't see it happen. The ones I can see it's usually sitting in the stand on my table. I just suspect that getting too warm maybe the problem and want to verify this through this testing. I'm not a hardware wizard but my thought is that if a piece of electronics is getting even slightly over heated it may do some weird things randomly. Even with a lightweight plastic case on it may just be getting warmer than it should because it can't release the warmth like it can without any case.

Deb from my Note 3

jmcu

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have my note3 in my pocket all day ( yes.. big pockets) and walk between three and eight miles, climb ladders and stairs and no reboots.
I get home, put it on my desk and I hear it reboot 2 times in about 3 to 5 hours.
I also have it in a spigen case.

Sent from my Note 3

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have my note3 in my pocket all day ( yes.. big pockets) and walk between three and eight miles, climb ladders and stairs and no reboots.
I get home, put it on my desk and I hear it reboot 2 times in about 3 to 5 hours.
I also have it in a spigen case.

Sent from my Note 3

Interesting - - pretty much the same scenario as mine. What about screen freezes?

Deb from my Note 3

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I had a case that was to tight once and it put to much pressure on the screen...it made the phone wig out...no case or different case no problem. Let us know how it works it for you.

Now there's a thought. My case is pretty tight it's hard to get on it off my phone.

Deb from my Note 3

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the Spigen case. I love it. Also had the Seidio platinum one. Never ever had a random reboot. And...the Spigen I have doesn't get near the screen. If it isn't some App then I am liking the "cooped up" theory...

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Obviously it's not the smartest move to not have some kind of case on your phone. But if I have to go without to keep the reboots and screen freezes from happening then I guess that's what I'm going to have to do. Right now we're at about 48 hours or so without one single problem. I plan to test this for about a week.

Deb from my Note 3

amikeg57

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
i talked to a samsung about my random reboots. H said it was related to verizon's drivers. This was after I had done a factory reset and which fixed the problem. However, he said he could have corrected it without the factory reset by correcting some of the drivers related to Verizon.