I'm rooted, but how do I install a custom recovery? Also, ROM recommendations?

tannerrblake

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Pretty self explanatory, recently achieved root using an older version of Kingo. Thanks so much for the help, everybody here is incredibly gracious and I really do appreciate it!

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
You need to look up a recovery to flash. When I had my note 3. I used TWRP. check out xda you should be able to find it there. From there flash recovery,then once you enter recovery. Back up your stock Rom. Then flash whatever Rom it is you want. You'll have to wipe data and cache before flashing your new Rom. Keep that in mind

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
The easiest way to flash a custom recovery is by using ODIN. You can actually search for TWRP's website via Google (that's what I did) and download the correct .tar version for your phone.

If you're looking for a TW ROM, Wicked was good when I used them. If you want something AOSPish, Anthem was a good one too.

Sent from my SlimKat Note 3

tannerrblake

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Shows that TWRP isn't supported for the Verizon Note 3. I've used TWRP before on my Note 10.1 so I'd be familiar with it, but I've never used clockworkmod.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
And instructions for how to install the recovery via ODIN will be on the website as well?

Posted via Android Central App
Yes, the TWRP website should list instructions on how to flash via ODIN as well as other methods. If not, just search YouTube for videos on how to do it. That's what I did because I like to see what I'm going to be doing :)

- - - Updated - - -

Shows that TWRP isn't supported for the Verizon Note 3. I've used TWRP before on my Note 10.1 so I'd be familiar with it, but I've never used clockworkmod.
Really? That's weird. Maybe there's a version on XDA. Let me see if I can find anything.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's the only one that works with vzw locked bootloader. Cwm or twrp will brick your phone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It's the only one that works with vzw locked bootloader. Cwm or twrp will brick your phone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Confusing things even more is that Safestrap is TWRP based. I sometimes even use the terminology TWRP when talking about Safestrap. I should be more specific in the future.

I guess it's because of the divide between CWM (which I used to use with Moto stuff) and TWRP. It's important not to confuse the two systems, but probably equally important not to conflate TWRP and Safestrap. Or at least consider Safestrap as TWRP for the Note.

tannerrblake

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Got Safestrap running and now successfully running CleanRom, thanks guys. :) Wish there were more rom choices for the vzw note 3 but I'll take what I can get haha.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Got Safestrap running and now successfully running CleanRom, thanks guys. :) Wish there were more rom choices for the vzw note 3 but I'll take what I can get haha.

Excellent.

You might check out Beans at some point.

I've been very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for a rom with the old Android red underline spelling errors function. It is a mod developers can use but I don't know of any rom that does.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle