Is Note 3 worthwhile upgrade from Note 2?

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks,

I currently have a Note 2, and I've loved it from the first day I got it, just over a year ago. However, I have an opportunity to possibly get a Note 3. Keeping price out of it, do those of you who previously had a Note 2 feel that the 3 was a worthwhile upgrade? I'm fully aware of all the technical spec differences, just wondering real world performance and use? Any buyer's remorse? I've looked at running 3s at the Verizon store, and do like the screen alot.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Posted from my Note 2 via Android Central App

kami8586

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Even though I never had a note 2 before my note 3 now. I had a iPhone 4....was getting g slow and even worse was on 3g. I was leaning towards the lg g2 for the beautiful screen and great features....until I tested out the note 3. All I could say was when I first got it was this phone is a power house. I've have it for about 3-4 months and it's still as smooth as when I first got it. So needless to say...i think you'll be happy with the note 3. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kctony

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I too have never owned a note 2,but I have a friend who does. I'd say if you're thinking of staying with a large device (which it seems you are) then it's definitely worth it to go for the note 3. in comparing phones (appearance, s pen improvements) it's worth the upgrade IMO.

Posted via Android Central App

kctony

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and no buyers remorse. Only phone I've ever owned and not thought to myself I wish I would have gone with a different device after the first month or so. Can easily see myself hanging on to this phone and believing its still relevant before my contract ends.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I had a note 2 and got a note 3. No regrets. Aws lte at my work gets around 20+mbps, 700MHz lte around 2mbps. Aside from that, the remote control is nice and the screen is much nicer. Wireless charging works on the note 3 (note 2 required a physical hack). The s pen can be used on the capacitive keys on the note 3

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. I too thought this phone would easily get me through to the end of my contract without even thinking about another phone. But the chance to grab a Note 3 is becoming more and more enticing. Mulling it over....

Sent from my Note 2 via AC Forums App

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd go for it. I have both, and the N3 is definitely an upgrade. The S Pen working on the soft keys is great. Even though I love them both, I will be seriously looking at the Note 4 if it has a 3 sided screen and 4k display. How could I not?

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I had a Note 2 and now have a Note 3. As others have said, this is the best phone I ever owned. Insanely powerful, light, gorgeous screen, it's got it all. I could easily keep this one forever and be happy. However we all know that will change the moment the Note 4 is announced lol.

Sent from Chestnut Ridge N. Baltimore County

blujay40

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I had the Note 2 and now have the Note 3. I can echo the sentiments on the hardware side of things, that the Note 3 is definitely worth the upgrade.

There was one thing that almost made me return the Note 3 and go back to my Note 2 however, and that was the bloatware app My Magazine. I could care less about this app, and for Samsung to not only embed it, but make it literally impossible to turn off or disable it(short of rooting or a different loader) really irks me to this day. If this is the direction that Samsung is taking now, the Note 4 will get an even closer inspection before I jump to see what else they think I can't live without.

But the advantages of the Note 3's prowess in all other things won out in the end.

Last edited:

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I will more than likely root so I can use Titanium Backup. I also use Nova launcher on my N2, which, imo, really makes a difference. Not that I have a dislike of Touch wiz appearance wise, but I do feel it bogs the phone down somewhat.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Great question; depends on what "worthwhile" means to you and to you alone.
Every new phone will have something "more" than it's predecessor. Is that "more" something you really want or need?
It seems like all the new phones have marginal improvements yet most of us have this need to have the latest and greatest in technology (me included). My phone is a very important tool, it is my office phone and vehicle for data. At the same time it is a hobby.
At this stage in my life I cannot tell if a phone is "faster" or has "higher definition", etc.
I think all of the new phones (LG, Moto, HTC, Sammy, Sony, etc.) are fantastic and are far more capable than my ability to use them.
Could I have stayed with my HTC DNA, HTC One, you bet. But the lure of a bigger, faster, "better" phone is always right around the corner.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have two very different views here... One is that the Note 2 to Note 3 upgrade is pretty significant. Better feeling stylus, better many things and more options to do things with your stylus and a better screen print and other things. So, yes, it would be a great upgrade.

I do, however, not think you should do it. If you're ready for an upgrade NOW and you have the note 2, the Note devices usually come out around October and November. Granted, that's a few months away, but still, going from the 2 to the 3 this late in the cycle might not be a great move for you. If you don't care and you're certain you WON'T care, then pull the trigger and get the 3.

And, for all of you saying "If you wait for the next phone you'll never get a new phone you'll always be waiting for that next one." Yeah, that's a valid point, but like clockwork for a while now have the Galaxy devices been coming out on almost a schedule. In fact, I assume soon we shall start seeing the note 4 leaks, but probably not yet for another month. So, yeah, if you're waiting for the "next" device you'll never get the current, but having a great guess at when the next will come out is a totally different thing.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Agreed on all points. I must say the rumored N4 3 sided screen, at least at this point, doesn't interest me.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I never had a Note2, but I can say this ...it was well worth it giving up my BlackBerry Z10 for the Galaxy Note3......LOL. I would suggest going for it and getting the Note3....it's An EXTREMLY NICE SMARTPHONE/PHABLET.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Agreed on all points. I must say the rumored N4 3 sided screen, at least at this point, doesn't interest me.

I'm in the process of making the same upgrade as you (hopefully today!) so this thread has been interesting to me.

I agree with your thoughts about the note 4. I'm sure it will be awesome and I'll probably upgrade to it when it comes out, but if it isn't I'd rather be stuck with a note 3 than a note 2. Resale value is also fairly decent for the note 2 right now, it won't be when the note 4 comes out.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Posting from a note 2 I own a note 3 too. For me the big difference was the screen and internal storage, it's a good upgrade, but one that isn't worth the full cost of the device. If your getting a deal than don't hesitate.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay folks, got it tonight! LOVE IT!! I really wasn't sure it would be that big a difference, but so far I'd say a very big difference! Thanks to all who replied here, going to be hard to sleep now!

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Okay folks, got it tonight! LOVE IT!! I really wasn't sure it would be that big a difference, but so far I'd say a very big difference! Thanks to all who replied here, going to be hard to sleep now!

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

ConGrats on the NEW Note3....ENJOY