Not able to save backup to SD card after upgrade

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I use MyBackup Pro. After the update today I can no longer save my backups to my sd card. I tried to change the path and it would not let me. It's now saving my backups to the internal storage on my phone. Does anyone know of a fix for this or should I contact the MyBackup Pro people?

Deb from my Note 3

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just found out FolderSync won't save to my external SD card either.

Hope there's a fix for saving to SD card because this is really getting frustrating.

Deb from my Note 3

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I use MyBackup Pro. After the update today I can no longer save my backups to my sd card. I tried to change the path and it would not let me. It's now saving my backups to the internal storage on my phone. Does anyone know of a fix for this or should I contact the MyBackup Pro people?

Deb from my Note 3

Did you updated your device to the KitKat if you just updated to kitkat let me give you a bad news in kitkat the SD card goes to read only mode means you can't write on the SD card. So, this means you are left with the internal storage only.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes I know there are issues with it and I'm still searching for one of the post I saw that there was supposed to be something that will alleviate this problem.

Has anyone tried uninstalling something that won't save to the SD card and reinstalling it? If so did it work?

Deb from my Note 3

Last edited by a moderator:

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
First off, the sd card is not 'read only' post KK. People are having issues with some apps and sd card. But it's because the devs of these apps haven't put in the time to update their apps for the most part. From what I understand, the only apps that won't work with sd are apps trying to access info that another app put on sd card. Like third party photo editors. Your backup app may conflict with this as well but I bet it just needs to be updated from dev. I would start with dev and see what they have to say.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It is a dev issue. I can use es file Explorer to copy files from my internal memory to sd card no problems

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Google and Samsung r trying to stop devs from snooping where they don't need to.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I tried to do this with my music files and they may copy but my music player doesn't show them in list...i like to put music on external sd as I have quite a bit of it. It reads my old music off external sd but if I move any new music there it will not add to play list or play.
I havr both stock music player and mixzing premium...I can also not edit certain music from within app but some I can...I just don't get it.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I tried to do this with my music files and they may copy but my music player doesn't show them in list...i like to put music on external sd as I have quite a bit of it. It reads my old music off external sd but if I move any new music there it will not add to play list or play.
I havr both stock music player and mixzing premium...I can also not edit certain music from within app but some I can...I just don't get it.

FWIW - I had KitKat 8+ weeks ago on a sim free. I could drag more albums from my pc - by usb- to the sd using sync in Windows Music Player (but could not drag them directly) with the sd still in the phone. All my music and photos still go to the sd.
I don't download or stream music.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to have to drag anything anywhere. I want to be able to save directly to my sd card on my phone. I want it to be automatic. I do not need even one more thing to have to remember to do or take the time to do because I don't have the time to do it.

If I wanted to drag anything anywhere I'd do it on my PC. My sd card has a purpose and I should be able to use it as such.

I would imagine the developers are working on this.

Deb from my Note 3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
@iterry it was just a suggestion to have new music recognised, fwi worth.
- - - - - - -
I used to use My Bookmarks (same dev) with a Galaxy S2 but then in December it wouldn't work on my new Note 3 on 4.3.
They said as much and kindly gave me My Backup Pro free.
I have no need for it. Why back up to sd card. If they can get it to work on KK they will.
I copy my photos to my pc via cable; it is exhausting using a mouse I will admit. Music files and photos still work fine to and from sd.
All my 110 d/l apps work fine on KK.

Why does everyone insist on using 3rd party apps to organise everything.
I have no sd issues for my uses.

It's not going to work the way you were used to straight away. I had all Google syncs reset by KK (I turn most off) and I couldn't sync or use Gallery for a while. Most people will panic about battery and OS usage for the first few days. It settles down.

The only variable here is whether Verizon screwed up the update. I would have hoped not at this late stage.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe II will contact mixzing...Ii do have cloudaround music player and that does find all the music after I transfer it between phone and external sd card on phone..downfall is it states it uses data to play instead of wifi...I hope the developers get it straightened out as I download directly to phone.

Tanks for suggestions guys. I knew this was coming but I had heard they got it straightened out before sending out he update due to so many complaints.

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

New to Verizon and new to the note 3. So who's idea was it to stop us from writing to the SD card in the 4.4 update? Kinda makes the SD card useless doesn't it?

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
It's not a one size fits all problem. And it's not you can't write to the SD card ever again. I just backed up my sms messages with SMS backup and saved to my SD card just fine. Ability has not been taken away forever. If I remember Jerry's article correctly it's a safety measure to keep apps from writing in folders they didn't create. If there's some problem with an app writing to the card, it's probably a small item that can be rectified by the developer. Read this for more:

http://m.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

Sent from my Awesome Note 3 via the Android Central Forums App

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
It's not a one size fits all problem. And it's not you can't write to the SD card ever again. I just backed up my sms messages with SMS backup and saved to my SD card just fine. Ability has not been taken away forever. If I remember Jerry's article correctly it's a safety measure to keep apps from writing in folders they didn't create. If there's some problem with an app writing to the card, it's probably a small item that can be rectified by the developer. Read this for more:

KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

Sent from my Awesome Note 3 via the Android Central Forums App

Well I have been using My Backup Pro for a while now. That app creates it's own folder on the SD card and writes the backup file to it. I was told by the Dev at My Backup Pro that there is nothing they can do to change the program so It writes to the SD, so If I continue to use that app it will write to the internal memory instead.

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

New to Verizon and new to the note 3. So who's idea was it to stop us from writing to the SD card in the 4.4 update? Kinda makes the SD card useless doesn't it?

First...only improperly written programs (for KitKat) have that issue. Second, it only applies to the external SD card, NOT the 32G "card" (emulated) that comes with the N3. And third, it is a security feature added by Google as an integral part of Android and not something Verizon did.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

Well I have been using My Backup Pro for a while now. That app creates it's own folder on the SD card and writes the backup file to it. I was told by the Dev at My Backup Pro that there is nothing they can do to change the program so It writes to the SD, so If I continue to use that app it will write to the internal memory instead.

Wait a minute....you just said in your previous post you were new to Verizon and the Note 3. But here you say you've been using this app for a while.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
He could have been using the app on any phone and any service. It isn't exclusive to Verizon or the note 3.

Deb from my Note 3