KitKat disables wake up command?

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I noticed today that the Hi Galaxy wake-up command for S voice no longer works for me. I had done the OTA KitKat upgrade last night.
I spoke to Verizon and Samsung, today and was informed that Google has disabled the vocal hi galaxy wake up command, unless you entirely eliminate the lock screen. Eliminating all lock screen security won't help. I was surprised to hear this, and wondered if others have noticed this change.

Posted via Android Central App

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about when the screen is off or on? I can say 'hi Galaxy' on the lock screen and it works. I have the swipe lock screen active. I haven't tried it with any other lock screen since I don't use them.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
The screen is off and the screen is locked. I say Hi Galaxy and the phone doesn't respond in any way. None of the settings in S voice were changed. Only KitKat was added.

It's hard to believe Google would do this to our phones. I will eliminate the lock screen and see if the wake up then works. If it doesn't, or others with KitKat are having no wake up problems even with a lock screen, I guess Samsung isn't right about my problem. If I'm the only one with this problem, I may be stuck doing a factory reset.

Last edited:

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about when the screen is off or on? I can say 'hi Galaxy' on the lock screen and it works. I have the swipe lock screen active. I haven't tried it with any other lock screen since I don't use them.

Have you upgraded to KitKat 4.4.2?

My S voice wake up worked before with Android 4.3 and lock screen swipe active.

After the 4.4.2 "upgrade", the only way I can get this hi galaxy wake-up to work is to eliminate the lock screen entirely by checking off None under lock screen security. It works then.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm on 4.4.2, on Sprint and yes it does work, I tried it again before I posted to confirm again.

Did you toggle on the option in the S voice menu to open when locked?

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, Samsung is wrong.
The hi galaxy command will work with the lock screen. After disabling the lock screen, I re-enabled the lock screen by checking off swipe only security. Now it works. It might not work if your lock screen needs anything beyond a swipe to open it.