Something is eating my battery!!

Lee Hagan

May 20, 2014
Visit site
That is exactly what is happening to my Note 3. . .
Galaxy Note 3 was sent OTA update for kit kat 4.4.2 March 17, 8:10 am after that update the phone battery started dropping, the screen started freezing up and lagging, home button no longer was working, worst of all I can not send or receive text messages, phone call reception is poor and get more dropped calls in areas that use to be very solid reception. I did everything samsung and verizon told me to do, battery out and back in , sims card out and back in, empty cache, etc.... nothing worked! Very upset, can not communicate with my son via text messaging unless I make it a multimedia message and send via data, but still do not receive his texts back . . .the next day if I turn off the phone and turn it back on a few text messages will come streaming in . . but not all of them. My battery use to last a full day with heavy use and a day and a half with minimum use . . now it is only lasting 3-4 hours!?!?!?!?! I was told by Samsung that I can not remove the update but that they can "reflash the software" at one of their samsung experience shops (i.e. Best Buy). I called one of their experts and they told me that they will just re-install the update to make sure it was loaded correctly.??? That maybe it was interrupted during installation causing the problems. Nothing interrupted it . . and if this is true than how come the users that downloaded the updated via wired to pc are having the same problems?? Verizon offered a refurbished replacement. ., .I told them no way. I spent a lot of money and this phone is only a few months old. Does anyone know if the software update can be removed?

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I bit the bullet and just did a factory reset. After it settles down I'll post results.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly what is happening to my Note 3. . .
Galaxy Note 3 was sent OTA update for kit kat 4.4.2 March 17, 8:10 am after that update the phone battery started dropping, the screen started freezing up and lagging, home button no longer was working, worst of all I can not send or receive text messages, phone call reception is poor and get more dropped calls in areas that use to be very solid reception. I did everything samsung and verizon told me to do, battery out and back in , sims card out and back in, empty cache, etc.... nothing worked! Very upset, can not communicate with my son via text messaging unless I make it a multimedia message and send via data, but still do not receive his texts back . . .the next day if I turn off the phone and turn it back on a few text messages will come streaming in . . but not all of them. My battery use to last a full day with heavy use and a day and a half with minimum use . . now it is only lasting 3-4 hours!?!?!?!?! I was told by Samsung that I can not remove the update but that they can "reflash the software" at one of their samsung experience shops (i.e. Best Buy). I called one of their experts and they told me that they will just re-install the update to make sure it was loaded correctly.??? That maybe it was interrupted during installation causing the problems. Nothing interrupted it . . and if this is true than how come the users that downloaded the updated via wired to pc are having the same problems?? Verizon offered a refurbished replacement. ., .I told them no way. I spent a lot of money and this phone is only a few months old. Does anyone know if the software update can be removed?

Have you tried a factory reset? I see that you have tried everything VZW told you but there is no mention of a factory reset. Also reflash could help because when your downloading, parts of it might not of downloaded correctly. Think of it like this. Your sending nothing but 1 and 0 and each is a byte. The file is over 500mb so that's a lot of 1 and 0. The chances of some of them being messed up is very likely.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I have been able to improve my battery consumption, not sure if it is the root of the problem or not. One thing that seems to improve the battery for me was in the Settings / Wireless and networks / Mobile Networks / Network mode I changed it from Global to "LTE/CDMA".. I've also changed the Settings / Location / Mode to "GPS only". I've also turned off the Settings / Display / Smart screen. If you haven't tried those things might try to see if it improves things.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Here is my follow up from the posts above. I can 1000% definitely report that factory resetting my phone fixed the battery issue. There is no doubt about it. No changes to phone prior to kit Kat update and after kit Kat update. Prior to update, with average use I would drop 10 percent battery in a few hours time. After Kitkat update it would drop 8 percent in 15 minutes and another 8-10 percent over next hour. So in same period of time, where I should have had 90% battery I had 70-75%. That is noticeable. After the factory reset I dropped to 95% battery after 2 hours of moderate use! So folks I strongly recommend a factory reset if you have issues.

KiltedMP

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
My Media Manager was the culprit regarding my battery issue. I had read that the download manager will sometimes keep running if it's interrupted in the download process and will continue to search for the file, keeping the phone awake. I went in and cleared the cache for each process under the media manager and then cleared the data. It fixed the battery problem, but also caused the phone to forget where my pictures and music were on the phone.

I downloaded another picture app and scanned for pictures and they then became visible to my Gallery. As for the Amazon MP3 music, I will have to delete what's on the phone and redownload them when at home on the Wifi.

Other than those two semi-large issues, most everything else seems to be fine.

I'm currently at 1 day, 11 hours on battery with 48% remaining. I also downloaded Battery Doctor, which is doing an excellent job of killing apps to increase battery life. I also have GSam, which I also like, but was having trouble finding the wakelock culprit through it.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting but that was not my issue. I had Hangouts before and after the battery drain. Have it now and have insane battery now after the factory reset. So maybe I'll have even better battery after they fix it ;)

steveL332

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I booted into recovery mode, and cleared the cache. This fixed my battery drain issue. You may want to try this first before losing any data on a factory rest.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney