After Kitkat, Location Toggle Turns On, But Doesn't Turn Off

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
i never had this problem with jelly bean, but since upgrading to kitkat, the location toggle in the notification bar will turn on location but when i turn it off with the toggle, it doesn't turn it off. i have to manually go into the settings to turn it off. does anyone else have this issue? or know of a fix?

sharkstyle

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Go into Settings>Location (Under the Personal section)
...or Connections (tab), Network connections (section) in tabbed view.
Look at "Recent location requests." and determine which apps are the culprit.

Personally, I don't use the TouchWiz Clock+Weather widget and despite not having the widget on any of my homescreens and settings for it to never refresh, it kept triggering my GPS.
I disabled "Weather Widget" and GPS is never in my notifications unless I'm deliberately using an app that requires it.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
my girlfriends s4 has the same problem since kitkat. location turns on from notification toggle, but will not turn off. the location button is no longer lit up, but going into settings still shows location on. and must be turned off from settings

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
my girlfriends s4 has the same problem since kitkat. location turns on from notification toggle, but will not turn off. the location button is no longer lit up, but going into settings still shows location on. and must be turned off from settings

In Kitkat, when location toggle is off, this is in power saving mode, meaning no gps, but uses cell towers and wifi for location . When location toggle is on this is high accuracy meaning gps is on.

5ynypehy.jpg
6ebeqyzy.jpg

a3esy2a3.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
For me the culprit was Google Play Services because I had Hangouts loaded. I disabled both Hangouts (never used it much anyway) and Google Play Services and my app toggled on GPS use has dropped to practically zero.

UPDATE: I have turned Google Play Services back on and reinstalled Hangouts after a day and the battery drain did not return. I would seem that my earlier conclusion that these programs were the problem was incorrect.

Last edited:

shardede

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
In Kitkat, when location toggle is off, this is in power saving mode, meaning no gps, but uses cell towers and wifi for location . When location toggle is on this is high accuracy meaning gps is on.

I don't think this is true; when you turn it off, all location information is off. For example my Weather Channel app can see where I am in Power Saving mode, but not when Locations is Off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs