Constant pop ups while browsing.

Billy Schrier

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone else having any issues with pop-up ads while browsing? I've had the Note 3 since March 20 and it seems to have started happening around the release of KitKat. Constant ads to download Clean Master or Battery Doctor, some even going so far as to open the Play Store. My Fiance just got the S5 and she was having the same issue right out of the box the only apps we both have that aren't stock is pretty much just Whatsapp. Here's hoping it's not just us. Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That kind of behavior is almost always related to specific websites that you're browsing that are causing popups. If you're using Chrome, tap Menu, then Settings, then Content Settings, then make sure "Block pop-ups" is checked.

You could also clear all of your browsing data and cookies by going to the Privacy part of Chrome's Settings, and tapping "Clear Browsing Data" at the bottom of the screen. Then be cautious of the websites you visit.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else having any issues with pop-up ads while browsing? I've had the Note 3 since March 20 and it seems to have started happening around the release of KitKat. Constant ads to download Clean Master or Battery Doctor, some even going so far as to open the Play Store. My Fiance just got the S5 and she was having the same issue right out of the box the only apps we both have that aren't stock is pretty much just Whatsapp. Here's hoping it's not just us. Thanks for the help in advance.

When I had the same problem as you state it was from an app on my phone.

I don't think that in any way that it is a result of kitkat I think that is mostly coincidental.

From postings I've seen that are similar to mine, and from the advice that people gave me in my own post asking for help people told me to start deleting app by app to see if the pop ups go away.

This can be time consuming depending on how many apps you have but I know from experience - it works. In my case it turned out to be an app my husband downloaded on my phone called night vision spy camera.

Other suggestions I had were to try an app like Norton ad detector, lookout ad detector or air push detector. These show you what apps you have that allow advertising through the app.

I don't think whatsapp is the culprit either as I've used whatsapp since September and it gives me no problems.

That's all the advice/help I have but I'm sure the people here who are more experienced with android will be able to help you more.

Good luck!

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

Billy Schrier

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I actually just reset my phone and it did it from the get go. I'm going to assume it's just something on the site, as my computer is getting pop ups when it didn't use to as well. Maybe the ad companies are getting more aggressive or something.

Suyash Barve

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I had the same exact problem. It went from my phone to my PC to my laptop. Reset my phone thrice to get rid of it but the pop ups would start again immediately after reset. I finally figured out that the problem was on my WiFi. My computer that had been hooked up to the wifi had a network virus and had infected everything that was connected to it. Disconnect everything from your wifi. Then connect one thing at a time as you download Quickheal and run their malware program. Once you've done it for the computer/laptop, the phone should be fine after a reset. That's why your other phone got the virus right out of the box, it was cause of the Wifi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15