4G to 1X to no service. On Verizon

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
We can't rule out that Verizon is actually working on this issue and is updating towers or infrastructure software and that's helping as well. However, I've reverted all the way back to MI9 which shipped when this phone first released and I'm back to solid voice signal. In fact, today I happened to drive the same 45 mile round trip twice, same highway. On the way in I was running MJE and dropped one call (on NC4 I dropped same call 6-8 times). I got to office and updated firmware to MI9. Drove the same route back home, then same route two more times after and on same call number didn't drop call one time.

In fact, as I type this, I'm using my phone in hotspot mode to fuel my iPad and just a week ago I had no signal at this same kitchen table for days on end while on NC4.

Definitely something changed from radio firmware downgrade but what...I've no clue.

Regardless, the nice thing about this fix is that it doesn't require Root. Works fine on stock devices. So if you wanted to you can downgrade your modem firmware and then each day upgrade a version or go all the way back to most current radio firmware. So really, nothing but gains in trying.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
One thing to also keep in mind is... And I think but I'm not sure about this... Is that reverting to any radio under NC2 means no XLTE. I believe this is true because there was no XLTE before Kit Kat. I was of the belief that Verizon flipped the XLTE switch once kit Kat got rolled out. Unless that was pure coincidence. I don't think MJE or earlier was XLTE ready. I could be wrong.

In any event I would trade off dropping XLTE (until the note 4 of course) for a solid 4g and when necessary 3g signal like the day the note 3 was released. I never saw 1x and no signal like I did in the phone I just exchanged.

On that note, the replacement phone and replacement Sim seems to be functional ie great signal. Seems the replacement did the trick. I have no idea why.

patrick1229

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list of people that had terrible service after the kk "upgrade"

Called verizon and since this was an asurion replacement they opted to replace my handset. Got the new handset and i have great service now. Unfortunately they are replacing it again due to whenever i set the phone down it reboots. Any slight bump causes a reboot.

Crap shoot with these phones it seems like

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I had the reboot issue with my first two Note 3's. In my case, it was a bad battery that eventually was isolated as the culprit...they replaced the phones but not the battery. Might want to make sure yours is a tight fit against the contacts.

I've no idea what the real issue here is. But XLTE does me no good whatsoever if my phone is showing "No Signal" at almost all times. There are many users who barely touch voice calls any longer but I'm on my phone 3-4 hours per day. Going from zero dropped calls to literally dozens of dropped calls per day (not an exaggeration...I was logging them) was exasperating. I'm on MI9 now and it has thus far seemed the most stable. On NC4 I was either 4G full bars or no signal...no in between. I'm watching my signal switch between 4G to 3G to 1X and back again as it should as I drive around, with nary a dropped call.

Can't explain whats happened to cause this. Whether KK, XLTE rollout, tower issues, firmware issues or something else entirely...clueless. Only know the fix.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had my replacement phone that included replacement SIM now for 2 days and can confirm my signal issues are resolved.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I finally got the Odin to work (using 3.07) and changed my baseband back to MJE last night. We'll see how this goes. I was sick of dropped calls in my house and text messages not being sent due to no network errors.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Just noticed that my 4G was on 4 bars, so I did a speed test. It doesn't appear that switching to MJE is affecting the speed any.
5ezehuju.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Update - Back home and got the no signal notification again. Frustrating.
I also noticed that on the Samsung website, it says that Band 4 was enabled with MJE.
However, there is a baseband version and build number.
If your build is still on NC4, does it matter what your baseband is as far as Band 4 is concerned?
I am tempted to try NC2 or MJ7.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Having the same issue with note 3 since going to kit kat. My Note 2 on kit kat doesn't have this issue. I just lose all my mobile signals in areas with lower signal strength. In an area with strong signal strength it's fine. Everywhere my note 3 loses signal I still have it on note 2.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I've tried all the radios now, from MI9 to NC4. In general, I've got the best voice experience on MI9 but my WiFi flakes out all the time...which if I recall was an issue with the Note 3 at release. It just won't hold a Wifi signal. Second best for me has been MJ7 and MJE a narrow third. NC2 and NC4 I may as well be carrying a WiFi only iPad. Almost no voice ability at all, even with full bars. Call drops everywhere.

The verizon support forums are filled with other users experiencing the same issue. All you see there is the "Yank your SIM, Force CDMA only, Clear Cache, Factory Reset, Warranty Replace...Rinse....Repeat" advice from the official Verizon support reps. No help, we are on our own.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've downloaded Odin and trying to get mje but the thread with the links, the downloads are missing.

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I've done some more sleuthing on this since Verizon isn't any help.

Basically, no matter what my signal strength indicators show, as SOON as I start or receive a voice call, my signal rapidly deteriorates. As SOON as I hang up on the call, my signal returns back to where it was. This includes if my call drops which while not as bad as it was on NC4, is still about every other call right now. This is often accompanied by a "Mobile Network is not Available" message in the phone app when trying to make a phone call. If I turn my radio off/back on again (via Airplane), I will be able to make another telephone call again. But then my signal drops through the floor and process is repeated.

I'm beginning to wonder if the voice channel is really the main problem. There are so many people I know these days who barely use voice on their smart phones that they won't even know if they are having any dropped calls, thus the "KK is da bomb man, no issues here" mantra. I'd encourage people to try some testing themselves and see if they experience the same.

I'm thinking of hooking up my GoPro and recording a call sequence its become so easily repeatable to demonstrate.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any issues as long as I'm in a good area. It's when the signal is weak, that's when my phone says no service. My note 2 keeps a signal. There's no rhyme or reason why this happens, just random.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any issues as long as I'm in a good area. It's when the signal is weak, that's when my phone says no service. My note 2 keeps a signal. There's no rhyme or reason why this happens, just random.

The reason is because the note 3 has a weaker radio than the note 2

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
2 more months until I can dump this POS Note 3. I'm about done with this thing.....too many issues since launch day. **** for camera, spontaneous reboots, now can't even make a damn phone call or send/receive text messages half the time. Utter crap.