Battery Draining? Try This!!

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Count me in as one of the folks that had rapidly draining battery issues post-Kit Kat. Based on a tip in another thread, I went into Google Settings, Select "Search and Now", Select "Voice", Select "'OK Google' Detection", and de-select the box that says "From Google Search app" which will also grey out the options for "from any screen" and "from lock screen".

I am seeing HUGE battery performance from this tweak. And it makes sense as this was introduced in Kit Kat. If it works, and you want a better way to access Google Now voice search, download 'Home2 Shortcut' from the play store. Once downloaded, in Step 1, select "voice search"; leave Step 2 alone, In step 3, choose your launcher. Then press close. At the popup, select "Home 2 Shortcut" as the default HOME application. With this enables, one press of the Home button takes you to your home screen, and two quick presses of the Home button starts Google Now voice search.

Your options may vary, but I see a huge difference.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good tip! You're right, unless you have the Moto X or one of the Droid Ultra line of phones (with the X8 architecture), you may end up burning through battery more quickly with any kind of "always listening" function. The X8 chip architecture has one low power core completely dedicated to always listening, which is why those phones don't have this problem.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Good tip! You're right, unless you have the Moto X or one of the Droid Ultra line of phones (with the X8 architecture), you may end up burning through battery more quickly with any kind of "always listening" function. The X8 chip architecture has one low power core completely dedicated to always listening, which is why those phones don't have this problem.

True BUT the always listening feature only listens when the screen is on. If the screen is off it should have no effect on battery life at all. Personally I use the voice detection and have no ill-effects on my battery.

Posted via Android Central App

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It listens when the screen is off if u select that option. I tried it. I had selected 'from lock screen' under the settings described above. I was surprised it worked to be honest.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000