SD card issues

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
My SD card stopped working. All my pics that were saved to it are no longer showing up in my gallery. I took it out and put it in a micro sd card reader but my computer isn't reading anything? My pics are all saved on the cloud but I'm irritated about the SD card. Do they just stop working? It is about 2 years old 😂

sent from my Note 3

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Happened to my wife a couple times when she had her S4 and happened to my twice with my Note 3. I think I formatted it in the phone settings but then had to format it thru the pc to get it back working.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Happened to my wife a couple times when she had her S4 and happened to my twice with my Note 3. I think I formatted it in the phone settings but then had to format it thru the pc to get it back working.

But even my computer isn't reading it? Should I try to reformat or just get a new one?

sent from my Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would try to reformat.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They are a little more expensive but get a Samsung sd card. You shouldn't have any problems with it. I had a couple of older sandisk and a Polaroid cards and between S4 and N3 I had problems with all of them. Loosing data, unmount/remount problems and formatting never seemed to fix problem for very long. Got a Samsung and haven't had any issues since.

Posted via Android Central App

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
But even my computer isn't reading it? Should I try to reformat or just get a new one?

sent from my Note 3
The last time it happened to me I think I had to format it in the phone settings first to get it to show on the pc. Then I had to format it thru the pc again to get it completely formatted.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
The last time it happened to me I think I had to format it in the phone settings first to get it to show on the pc. Then I had to format it thru the pc again to get it completely formatted.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately neither phone nor pc is even recognizing it now 😕. I think I might be visiting my Verizon store and try a Verizon one this time. I did have a cheaper one from a micro computer center. Thanks for help!

sent from my Note 3

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately neither phone nor pc is even recognizing it now 😕. I think I might be visiting my Verizon store and try a Verizon one this time. I did have a cheaper one from a micro computer center. Thanks for help!

sent from my Note 3
I don't know how much internal storage you have left but the sd cards at Verizon are way way overpriced. It's good the Note 3 has 32gb internal storage since it'll get you by for a while if you order one from Amazon or eBay. You'll save a good bit of change if you do that.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how much internal storage you have left but the sd cards at Verizon are way way overpriced. It's good the Note 3 has 32gb internal storage since it'll get you by for a while if you order one from Amazon or eBay. You'll save a good bit of change if you do that.

Good idea, can you suggest a decent brand? I feel the last one I had was maybe not the best quality wise. It was very cheap from a discount place.

sent from my Note 3

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Happened to me about a month ago as well. I had to reformat the card and it is working again. Good thing I had auto backup to dropbox and google+ so I didn't lose any pics.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Happened to me about a month ago as well. I had to reformat the card and it is working again. Good thing I had auto backup to dropbox and google+ so I didn't lose any pics.

Frustrating is that I pay for Verizon cloud and yet none of my videos will play. It says this file cannot play?

sent from my Note 3

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Good idea, can you suggest a decent brand? I feel the last one I had was maybe not the best quality wise. It was very cheap from a discount place.

sent from my Note 3
SanDisk are OK. Samsung makes good ones too. Mine is a Toshiba, but like I said, I had to reformat it a couple times so another brand might be better.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently helping a friend with the same problem. She has a Sandisk 32GB microSD card that she used fine in her older Samsung S3 phone which contained thousands of pics. When she got her new Samsung Note 3 phone, she put in the same SD card from the S3 to the Note 3 phone. At first things worked fine for a few weeks, then suddenly one day all her old pictures were gone, except for a few dozen recent pictures taken. Weird.

When I tried placing her SD card into the micro-SD card adapter and inserted into a laptop, the laptop could not find any of the older pictures in the D drive. I had not done any formatting/reformatting whatsoever for fear of erasing anything. I then went to CNET's site of Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com and installed a free Windows app called "Pandora Recovery". I specified doing a search in the D drive where the SD card is located, and after 30 minutes, the app had already found over 1,500 JPEG files. Because the search required longer time, I left yesterday before it finished. I will go back later today to see the outcome of the recovery. Hopefully the app will be able to recover the "lost" pictures.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently helping a friend with the same problem. She has a Sandisk 32GB microSD card that she used fine in her older Samsung S3 phone which contained thousands of pics. When she got her new Samsung Note 3 phone, she put in the same SD card from the S3 to the Note 3 phone. At first things worked fine for a few weeks, then suddenly one day all her old pictures were gone, except for a few dozen recent pictures taken. Weird.

When I tried placing her SD card into the micro-SD card adapter and inserted into a laptop, the laptop could not find any of the older pictures in the D drive. I had not done any formatting/reformatting whatsoever for fear of erasing anything. I then went to CNET's site of Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com and installed a free Windows app called "Pandora Recovery". I specified doing a search in the D drive where the SD card is located, and after 30 minutes, the app had already found over 1,500 JPEG files. Because the search required longer time, I left yesterday before it finished. I will go back later today to see the outcome of the recovery. Hopefully the app will be able to recover the "lost" pictures.

Thanks, I will give this a try! Last time I tried to put the defective sd card in the computer it wasn't even reading it in the drive at all! So odd!

sent from my Note 3

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Update here. The dang program worked! Pandora Recovery app worked! Took over an hour to recover over 3,000 picture and music files from the Sandisk 32GB memory card. I did the command called "Surface Scan" after specifying the "D" drive where the micro-SD card was located inside the laptop. After the process was completed, I then created a new folder on the Desktop (of the laptop), highlighted all the files within Pandora Recovery app that was found, then specified to copy all the recovered files to the new folder that was created on the Desktop. I was amazed. That Pandora Recovery app is good stuff! Free too!

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Update here. The dang program worked! Pandora Recovery app worked! Took over an hour to recover over 3,000 picture and music files from the Sandisk 32GB memory card. I did the command called "Surface Scan" after specifying the "D" drive where the micro-SD card was located inside the laptop. After the process was completed, I then created a new folder on the Desktop (of the laptop), highlighted all the files within Pandora Recovery app that was found, then specified to copy all the recovered files to the new folder that was created on the Desktop. I was amazed. That Pandora Recovery app is good stuff! Free too!

That is great to hear! I got a new sd card today but will still try to get the old one to recover. Thanks so much for info! I will try this!

sent from my Note 3