VPN Connection Dropped after a few Seconds

nocola

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone, I have been having problems with keeping my VPN connection active. It seems to me that Verizon is dropping my connection to the VPN server after a few seconds. I have never had that problem before. I was wondering is there a way that I can get it to stop doing that. I have full strength connection wise and I have 4G LTE. When it does drop the connection the 4G LTE goes gray and my signal strength stays at the same level. It does take a minute for my data to come back.

Please help
Thanks

Dr Rose

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
What type of VPN are you using?
If using the Cisco IPSEC client, try changing the transport mode from TCP to UDP (or vice versa)
Also, I have seen this frequent disconnection issue when the same VPN username/password is used by another device at the same time you connect ( probably from your second machine?)

crackers8199

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone ever figure this out? I just set up my openvpn and this is the latest annoyance...everything works when it stays connected, but LTE keeps dropping every 90 seconds or so...

wifi442

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem as this. I was able to get mine working by going into "Advanced IPsec VPN". My Verzion galaxy s5 then brought up a new app called "VPN Client". I set up the IPsec VPN. (This was a pain as I am connecting to my home Mikrotik router). Once I got it working, it has been connected to the VPN for almost an hour now with no drops. With the standard pptp VPN, it would drop literally seconds after connecting. The 4gLTE icon would always go grey right after the vpn connected. I can't go into the VPN details as it was just trial and error. I did do L2TP pre shared key for the VPN type

Attachments

• ya.jpg
    ya.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

pdisme

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
This is a known bug in Android 4.4.x that occurs on phone networks where Carrier Grade NAT (CGN) is in use, which is the case on Verizon's 4G network. Here's the bug:

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=62714

Since Verizon probably hasn't released Android 5.x for your phone, you're basically screwed until either they do, or Google fixes the bug, neither of which I'd hold my breath for. I think Google is doing this on purpose to push people towards Nexus devices, then once they reach critical mass, they can dictate hardware and software to the carriers the way Apple does.