Verizon has ended the DPP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, or whether AC has done a news story on it yet, but VZN ended the Device Purchase Plan as of the 15th (I think) of July.

This closes one of the last loopholes for retaining unlimited data.

If you had planned on rolling over your Note 3 to a Note 4 using this plan, you are now out of luck.

You will basically have to buy the Note 4 (or any new phone for that matter) at full price without a payment plan if you want to keep unlimited.

Start saving now. You'll probably have to save at least $200 by then if you want a Note 4, assuming that you are able to sell your Note 3 on eBay or elsewhere. Most of us still have until Nov. or Dec. before we pay off the 12 month installments although the buyout amount is getting smaller by the month (you can only pay off the remaining balance all at once - you can't pay ahead).

Just wanted everyone to know, and if AC hasn't run a story in it, they should. There will be people who don't know about this. I only found out after the fact. If they did run a story, then never mind.

Posted via Android Central App

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, or whether AC has done a news story on it yet, but VZN ended the Device Purchase Plan as of the 15th (I think) of July.

This closes one of the last loopholes for retaining unlimited data.
The DPP was a full price phone with a $2/mo finance charge, so no loss there at all.

As for ways to both get a SUBSIDIZED phone AND keep your unlimited data plan, check out this post and this post.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It was the only way that I know of to get unlimited data with a single line, except for that very short window when Verizon screwed up around the time that the Note 3 came out.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the DPP cost extra, but the phone will belong to me when it's paid off and there's value in that. It could be worth $400 - 500 on the open market when the year is up. That's why I mentioned saving up now.

Of course, the longer into the second year that one waits to sell the old phone, the less it will be worth.

It was worth the couple of hundred dollars to keep unlimited for this year. Spreading out payments over the year helped.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
It was the only way that I know of to get unlimited data with a single line, except for that very short window when Verizon screwed up around the time that the Note 3 came out.
click on my links above - you can do the best buy method (also works on amazon and costco) if you have a single UDP line.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
And yes, it WAS a loophole. The only way to keep unlimited if you had a single line.
paying full price for a phone and finance charges as part of a program set up by verizon is not a loophole - it is a legitimate verizon program for you to pay full price for a phone.

And no, it was NOT the only way to keep unlimited if you have a single UDP. Best buy method works, also works on amazon and costco, too.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Why not just buy the phone on your own? If I want a phone I just buy it. Simple.
Because I didn't want to spend $600 out of pocket at one time when I could spread it out over a year. The extra interest charge wasn't enough of a disincentive. And I did just buy it on my own, just paying an extra $24. Spread out over a year, no biggie.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Why not just buy the phone on your own? If I want a phone I just buy it. Simple.

You are paying twice for the phone because you are paying for the subsidy in your monthly charge and then not getting the subsidy but paying full price for the phone.

If you are rich enough to **** away money, have at it. I prefer to get the subsidy I am paying for from verizon.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
There was too much uncertainty with those other methods at the time for my taste, plus not into cutting sim cards. I also remember there was a handful of people that lost their package when they tried to do an end around. I just didn't want to take the risk.

This was clean with no issues.

Plus, I only use my credit card for monthly bills and don't buy by anything with it. Sure, this was sort of the same thing by financing through Verizon but it was easier for me to justify it without going into the hole with my credit card (I pay my monthly bill with my checking account.) I know, seems strange but if you've ever downed in credit card debt, you'll know that sometimes you just have to draw the line somewhere.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
There was too much uncertainty with those other methods at the time for my taste, plus not into cutting sim cards. I also remember there was a handful of people that lost their package when they tried to do an end around. I just didn't want to take the risk.
click on the links - we have a lot more experience with the method now.

This was clean with no issues.
so is buying a new phone off of swappa and there are people selling new phones on swappa for a lot less than full retail. And with the money you save you can pay for insurance on the phone and during open enrollment, you can enroll any phone in the insurance program.

Status
Not open for further replies.