Bluetooth Problems in 4.4.2

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks.

I posted the same question long ago, but I thought maybe enough time had gone by where somebody has perhaps figured out a fix for it.

I've had my Note 3 since February, but the Bluetooth never worked in my older (2003) BMW. It will pair successfully, but it will continuously connect and disconnect over and over again. I understand that the OS update did not include certain Bluetooth code required for compatibility with older Bluetooth systems, but is there any way to install an older Bluetooth stack without rooting the device, Or are there any other workarounds that might allow this to work? Updating the software in the car is cost prohibitive (A replacement ULF costs about $400).

Are my choices still rooting and installing CM (I'm not Interested in rooting), Replacing the hardware in my car, or hoping and waiting for Google to fix the problem?

Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks!

TONY:)

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I know I asked this question several months ago, but I have since solved the problem.

If you are reading this- you are probably frustrated that you cannot use the hands free BT functionality in your early to mid 2000's BMW. You basically have 3 options:

1) Buy a newer ULF (BMW's on-board Bluetooth computer)- There are 13 different ones, but the only ones that currently work are the last 5 or 6 revisions. These are hard to find used, and new cost nearly $500.

2) Buy a TCU (BMW's later version of the ULF used in X3's and X5's)- This is the route I took. There is a list of compatible models and PN's. I spend way too much time researching, and eventually found confirmation on Bimmerpost that a particular iBUS TCU works with my 2003 E39. I bought one on eBay for $90, plugged it in- and it works perfectly.

3) GROM Audio BT Adapter- This $100 unit replaces the CD changer in the trunk to add BT functionality. It's as close to OEM as you are likely to find, with minimal installation issues (but you do have to run the microphone up front, or you may be able to splice into the OEM microphone wiring). I did not buy one of these, but I tried it on a friend's car, and it works pretty well. The GROM unit offers the additional functionality of BT Audio streaming and an optional line-in input, but I was only after hands free functionality, so the OEM TCU solution was the best available option for me.

I hope this helps you. This info certainly would have helped me a year ago... Drop me a line if you need help getting BT functionality in your early 2000's BMW.

TONY:)