Any apps that will work on Verizon if you can NOT get paid Tethering added to your very old Verizon plan?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-18-2014 03:10 PM
    Root and flash a rom. That'll give you more than just free tethering.

53N7 9R0M M4 G3
    10-18-2014 03:15 PM
    For several reasons I would prefer not to do that. Are there any apps that will work with Verizon? Verizon will not add on tethering to my old plan.

10-18-2014 04:49 PM
    Any apps that will work on Verizon if you can NOT get paid Tethering added to your very old Verizon plan?

I have FoxFi which gives me FREE tethering on my Verizon UDP plan without paying for the feature through VZW.

FoxFi cost $7.99 once vs. $15 monthly on Verizon

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-01-2014 08:45 PM
    $15 monthly? More like $30 unless your getting a 50% discount.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-06-2014 07:28 AM
    Root and flash a rom. That'll give you more than just free tethering.

53N7 9R0M M4 G3
    I find the root and rom route always slows gps fix no matter what gps fixes you add. No idea why.
    11-09-2014 02:59 PM

I called once and operator told me I could not add tethering through vzw without losing unlimited data. On another occasion I called about an unrelated issue and they saud I absolutely could. Try calling back.
    11-09-2014 03:02 PM
    I have tethered for years with my unlimited plan and no tethering plan, and NEVER been charged for it or questioned. I use the built in app. I read an article a while back that Verizon was bound by the FCC that they could not charge you for doing this. Wish I could find the link.
    11-09-2014 06:10 PM
    You must be rooted, correct? Otherwise- how do you get it to work? I tether (only occasionally) my stock (non-rooted) Note 3 on an unlimited plan via Foxify, and it works very well. A Verizon rep told me that only huge data use may get a user flagged for use in ways they are disallowing (like tethering). When I try to tether via the built-in app it will not proceed telling you that you must contact VZW to pay for a tethering plan.

I remember the article to which you are referring. It stated that the FCC was fining VZW for disallowing customers to use their data as they see fit. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think Verizon got around that by enabling tethering on all of their devices on current data plans with the exception being the exclusion of those on no-longer-available unlimited data plans.
    11-19-2014 09:55 AM
    I am rooted, however, my built in tether app worked perfectly fine for almost a year before I decided to root it. I'm on one of those grandfathered Unlimited plans and have been. My tethering app works normal with no warnings or anything. Wondering what the difference is between phones.
    11-19-2014 10:26 AM
    Foxfi works well. Don't need to be rooted. You can use the free version to try it out, but the paid one will get you on secure pages (https). It seems the paid version seems to work better for some too. I purchased it years ago and got my $8 back the first week I used it, everything after that is gravy. They do not guarantee the providers will not kill it in the future with programming, but I'll ride the wave til it crashes. I just did the 4.4.4 update and Foxfi still works fine.
    shortwave8669 and alxarambula like this.
    12-03-2014 08:46 AM
    I called vzw to ask if using foxfi is ok. Operator had no idea but said it is ok if it is an app from the app store. It has also been my sorry experience, however, that vzw does not live bybthe word of its agents. I had a totally unrelated issue in which vzw even acknowledged I got bad info from operator, could see it recorded in my notes, but they would not stand by what I was told. Just kept repeating we go by the contract. If you read the contract you will see.... I could find nothing in the contract referring to the issue nor could they site the exact section that did. Bottom line is they will do whatever they want whenever they want to. If they want to send a bill to everyone using foxfi they will. I'm not claiming they will...just that there is no guarantee that they will not.
    12-03-2014 10:22 AM
    That's how I understand it as well. They allow those who are not on unlimited data to tether for free, and anyone on an unlimited data plan can tether for a $30 per month fee, which is still cheaper than any hot spot fee if they were to buy the $50 per month hot spot for 5 gig limited data. Foxfi is probably not OK with Verizon, but as long as you don't abuse it and use Terabytes of data like a few have done they probably will not blink an eye. I would not call them and ask is it OK, because then they may actually put a note on your account to watch for it or something. I use foxfi when I need it, and have used up to maybe 10 gb per month on occasion, less on most others. It's nice to know i have the option, and I don't have to watch my data and worry about going over.
    12-04-2014 09:15 AM
    I do so much on the phone now that I rarely have any need to tether. Only time is during an extended blackout. If that happens I turn on (and pay per djem) legit vzw service then call and turn it off again when I have power.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    12-05-2014 10:18 AM
    Can not believe you called and ask V about FoxFi. That is like the Sig Brace and the ATF. Hope your not flagged now.
    12-05-2014 07:30 PM
    What do I care? She said I COULD use it and I don't. I'm also not rooted any more cuz I have an insurance replacement n3.
    12-07-2014 02:24 PM
    I have tethered for years with my unlimited plan and no tethering plan, and NEVER been charged for it or questioned. I use the built in app. I read an article a while back that Verizon was bound by the FCC that they could not charge you for doing this. Wish I could find the link.
    Verizon can indeed charge for tethering, on legacy plans. The fcc does require Verizon to allow tethering for free on CURRENT plans. Verizon will let you move to a current plan at any time

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    12-26-2014 09:54 AM