Are you still happy with your Note?

einthec

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I bought my phone back in February and overall I've been happy with it.

Recently, however, my phone started getting the "to charge faster, use the orig. Samsung charger".. And that's while using the charger that came with the phone. No big deal, but then it started charging really slowly, and it's so bad now that it doesn't charge at all. I've tried everything I can think of, including two different chargers, restarting the phone, different wall outlets, cleaning the contacts inside the phone and on the charger, etc. nothing works.

There have also been other annoyances. The keyboard is garbage (including the worst autocorrect I've ever seen). Honestly. I've never loved it, but realized how terrible it was when I was using my wife's phone in a low service area on vacation. Even on the tiny iPhone 5s screen, the keyboard just.. Worked. Well. And if you receive a text while typing, 99% of the time it repeats the word on the note.

The weak signal is another thing. The Note has one of the weakest signal radios (is that the correct term?) out there. My phone would not connect to the web at all... iPhone 5s- worked non-stop, no problem.

I am bringing the phone into the Verizon store today. The question is- I have another 16 months to live with this phone, and I'm debating trying to get a credit for a different phone rather than a replacement Note 3.

Has anyone changed their mind like I have?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Your charging problem may be that the battery is no longer good. As it ages its resistance increases making charging take longer. Try using a new battery and see if the battery charging times return to what you originally saw with your phone when the original battery was new.
There are many alternative keyboards in Android. Swiftkey probably has the best autocorrect and auto complete functions of any of them and is free.
I have never had a problem with either of my Note 3s (AT&T and Verizon). The last update to my Verizon Note 3 had improved radio as one of the changes in the change log but as I said I have never had an issue before or after the upgrade. That said your specific phone may have bad radio hardware.
I would not give up my Note 3 if I were you. I would get a replacement or discuss an early upgrade to the Note 4 with your carrier.

einthec

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I thought it might be the battery too, but it holds a charge no problem - the battery lasts just as long as it did previously (when I'm able to get the phone to charge). I took the phone into the verizon store today and they hooked it up to a Verizon-branded charger and it worked fine. They offered to replace the charger for free if I brought in my old charger. At home, I ended up trying a USB-3 cable that I pulled off one of my portable hard drives and it's working fine.

Also I read that the first few batches of phones shipped with faulty chargers. Who knows... Hopefully the new charger will work.

steveL332

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
The cable that came with older Note 3's quit working in many cases. A cable replacement should fix the problem. I'm on my second one. Had the phone for a year now.

Posted via Android Central App

dipkid

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I thought it might be the battery too, but it holds a charge no problem - the battery lasts just as long as it did previously (when I'm able to get the phone to charge). I took the phone into the verizon store today and they hooked it up to a Verizon-branded charger and it worked fine. They offered to replace the charger for free if I brought in my old charger. At home, I ended up trying a USB-3 cable that I pulled off one of my portable hard drives and it's working fine.

Also I read that the first few batches of phones shipped with faulty chargers. Who knows... Hopefully the new charger will work.

if you keep getting the use original charger messsage take the cable to verizon and tell them the message and they will give you a new charge cable free

indiansfan78

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had the charging problems but I do know what you are talking about when it comes to the weak radio signal.

I am on my second Note 3 and both have really weak radios in my opinion. I live in a fringe area, even though Verizon covers my area all in Red and swears they have 4G LTE in my area...I have yet to see it with either of my Note 3's. Verizon has even swapped out my 4G LTE sim card multiple times and I still don't get a very good signal.

I am constantly dropping calls and even have troubles trying to get calls out. The only time I don't have problems with the signal is when I'm in a major city.

I've had iPhones, and Motorola phones and haven't had this issue. My roommate actually has the iPhone 5s and can make and receive calls just fine.

It's been very aggravating.

I bought my phone back in February and overall I've been happy with it.

Recently, however, my phone started getting the "to charge faster, use the orig. Samsung charger".. And that's while using the charger that came with the phone. No big deal, but then it started charging really slowly, and it's so bad now that it doesn't charge at all. I've tried everything I can think of, including two different chargers, restarting the phone, different wall outlets, cleaning the contacts inside the phone and on the charger, etc. nothing works.

There have also been other annoyances. The keyboard is garbage (including the worst autocorrect I've ever seen). Honestly. I've never loved it, but realized how terrible it was when I was using my wife's phone in a low service area on vacation. Even on the tiny iPhone 5s screen, the keyboard just.. Worked. Well. And if you receive a text while typing, 99% of the time it repeats the word on the note.

The weak signal is another thing. The Note has one of the weakest signal radios (is that the correct term?) out there. My phone would not connect to the web at all... iPhone 5s- worked non-stop, no problem.

I am bringing the phone into the Verizon store today. The question is- I have another 16 months to live with this phone, and I'm debating trying to get a credit for a different phone rather than a replacement Note 3.

Has anyone changed their mind like I have?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Have had mine for almost a yr. No problems with calls etc. Love Samsung products. Am getting the Note4

kt081801

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had the charging problems but I do know what you are talking about when it comes to the weak radio signal.

I am on my second Note 3 and both have really weak radios in my opinion. I live in a fringe area, even though Verizon covers my area all in Red and swears they have 4G LTE in my area...I have yet to see it with either of my Note 3's. Verizon has even swapped out my 4G LTE sim card multiple times and I still don't get a very good signal.

I am constantly dropping calls and even have troubles trying to get calls out. The only time I don't have problems with the signal is when I'm in a major city.

I've had iPhones, and Motorola phones and haven't had this issue. My roommate actually has the iPhone 5s and can make and receive calls just fine.

It's been very aggravating.
My 3 month old N3 has a very weak radio signal as well....calls only drop when am at work which is in a big city. It's wonderful everywhere else (so far). VZ offered a replacement....it will be my 2nd time replacing it....any suggestions?

And the battery life is pretty poor as well, but I really still luv my N3

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
After 8 months I finally gave up on my note 3 because of the horrible reception. A damn shame, it was a great phone but the majority of the time when I was at the office it just didn't work; couldn't even send text messages. Picked up the LG G3 in July and haven't had a problem since.

kt081801

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
After 8 months I finally gave up on my note 3 because of the horrible reception. A damn shame, it was a great phone but the majority of the time when I was at the office it just didn't work; couldn't even send text messages. Picked up the LG G3 in July and haven't had a problem since.

You were able to change phone even after 8 months? I thought you only had 30 days? I dunno, hope am not being impatient with my N3 becasue I would hate to exchange for a different N3....the problem would still be the same. Am not giving up, not just yet anyway....glad to know you're happy with your LG G3 :)

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You were able to change phone even after 8 months? I thought you only had 30 days? I dunno, hope am not being impatient with my N3 becasue I would hate to exchange for a different N3....the problem would still be the same. Am not giving up, not just yet anyway....glad to know you're happy with your LG G3 :)

I bought the G3 off contact and sold the note 3 on swappa. Hopefully the note 3 works out for you, like I said, I really liked it, but needed to have a reliable signal.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I love my Note 3 but I want the 4. Am on the edge program and will be getting it soon.

apoirier594

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I had the phone for ten months and liked it a lot. It was just to big for me tho, and yes the keyboard typing the words twice was very annoying.

The only reason I really liked it is because no one else really had one. I have had a few androids and a iPhone 4s. The main reason I like android is for a app called [redacted]. But I just traded my Note 3 in for a iPhone 6 128gb and this phone is much better for me. I didn't get the plus cause the note was originally to big, I have had it for 3 days. First 2 hours it seemed weird almost boring but not this phone suits me much better.

Main thing I really don't like about iPhones is when a update comes out and gets on a pretty old model they get slow as sludge, but I upgraded every year. Also the battery is amazing on the Note and I am spoiled by it.

PS; I called Samsung and they sent me a new wire for the charger and that fixed the problem. Very common issue from my research.

Last edited by a moderator:

breadmanjp

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Let me add my frustrations as well. I switched from an iPhone 4 to the Note about a year ago. The screen size, the pen, all great features. But the dropped calls, lousy reception, slow camera etc...cant wait to upgrade back to the iPhone6. Friends have the iPhone and Blackberrys in the same office, and they get strong signals and make calls, when my Note3 has zero bars and dropped calls every time. I swapped the phone out with Verizon but to no avail. Same issues. Yes, the other people are on Verizon, Sprint, ATT, doesn't matter. I also had the same issue with the "use original charger" but Verizon did replace the cable and that went away. I hate the phone and can't wait to go back to Apple.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I got the N3 in January and have had no problems with reception, the battery life is good, the screen is amazing, the Swipe keyboard is fine, I have virtually no crashes or freezes, the GPS is great (after tightening the screws holding the circuit board to the frame as discussed in other forums here). The slow-to-take-the-shot camera is annoying when you want to take a picture of something that's moving, that's about the only complaint I have - but it does take some great pictures of stationary objects. So yes, I'm still happy with the Note.

I do like Apple products so when it's time to upgrade I might switch since now there's an iPhone with a big screen... or I might stick with Sammy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois