Hi All,

I need some input, as I don't know what to do.

I have a rooted VZW Note 3 (running 4.4.2), but the charging port recently stopped functioning almost entirely. Both USB 3 and USB 2 chargers would give me errors, stating they're incompatible and that charging was being stopped (with a red "X" graphic where the battery symbol would be, in the top right corner). No one at the VZW store was able to make any of their chargers work either, but I had an old Blackberry micro USB wall charger that was able to charge the phone. Anyway, I left with the damaged phone while they had a replacement Note 3 sent to me over night, which just arrived.

The first thing I noticed that it was on 4.4.4 (not sure how I picked up on it right away, as I wasn't even aware 4.4.4 was being pushed out or that it killed TowelRoot). Obviously, I don't want 4.4.4 if it means I won't (or don't and may not ever) be able to root it. However, I do want to be able to keep my phone charged using any of the numerous USB (3.0 & 2.0) Micro B chargers/cords that I have. Essentially, I either have to sacrifice root or continue with barely functional charging port.

Since I do have access to both phones, however, I was wondering if there was a way to "clone" (for lack of a better word) the rooted 4.4.2 phone onto the nonrooted 4.4.4 phone?

If that is impossible, what should I do? Should I try to have a repair shop fix the charging port on the rooted phone and send the replacement (4.4.4) phone back? What about a wireless charging system for the 4.4.2 phone? Could I send it back and have them send another Note 3, one that hasn't been hit with the update (assuming that they have some that haven't been updated)?

I'm really much more interested in keeping root even if it means making a reasonable sacrifice (ie, wireless charging only) to do so. I just need to be able to reliably keep the phone charged.

Again, I would greatly appreciate some input, suggestions, ideas, thoughts, advice, or help in any form.

Thanks everyone.

Best Regards,

tanasap
    01-23-2015 02:46 PM
    There's a thread on XDA (I don't remember if it's for the Note 3, the Note 3 V or the Note3 A), but you flash the 4.4.2 kernel, root it with Towel, then flash the 4.4.4 kernel. (Considering that 4.4.4 fixes the SSL bug, it's probably worth the effort. I haven't bothered, since the only thing worth stealing from my phone is a pretty nice picture of a rainbow - I don't do secure data with a wireless connection.)

You could try iRoot first, though - the worst that can happen is that it'll report that it can't root the phone.

Let us know what happened, so we learn something.
    01-23-2015 03:02 PM
    Wait. You're saying I can use flash an older kernel onto the newer phone (that came loaded with 4.4.4)? If I can do that, it would be fine. I don't care about 4.4.4, I care about having my phone rooted.

So if I can essentially down grade from 4.4.4 to 4.4.2, what was all the fuss about? It seems to me that what your saying is not true. From what I had gathered, once you're at 4.4.4 you cannot downgrade (VZW blacklisted all the earlier versions, I read, for example).
    01-23-2015 03:26 PM
    So if I can essentially down grade from 4.4.4 to 4.4.2
    I know the thread he is referencing, and it didn't end well. You can't go back with the tools we currently have at our disposal. That said, the damaged USB port is on a separate board from the motherboard. If you're comfortable disassembling your phone, you can replace it somewhat easily.

If you're getting replacements from Asurion, they seem to make sure the phone is on the latest firmware (irrespective of carrier or make) as I've tried this with other phones (on sprint, mind you) and I get back whatever is the most current 99% of the time.

4.4.4 is stable enough that if you can live without root..I would just take the replacement. Let us know how it goes.
    01-30-2015 02:55 PM
    iroot didnt work, and I couldn't downgrade to 4.4.2 (i think due to lack of factory rom file)... I guess I am just stuck with 4.4.4, w/o root
    02-22-2015 02:22 PM