I am getting the S4...but now I need help choosing between Verizon or AT&T!

mgianni19

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Android Central, could you help me out? I am going to pre-order the S4 when it's announced, but now I have the dilemma of choosing Verizon or AT&T. I just dropped Sprint (Service BLOWS when I visit my family in Southern NJ) and I have until the 25th to port my number over to another carrier. T-Mobile is not an option as the service where I am is very questionable.

I am really into rooting my phones and I'm afraid that if I go with Verizon I won't be able to root my S4? Is that true? Wasn't there a work around the S3 where people got it rooted and S-off?

I am in a 4G LTE Market for both phones, that isn't the issue, but when I travel to NJ, it seems Verizon has the better coverage, LTE wise, up there.

My bill with both will be the same for each.

I just can't make up my mind!! LOL, I suck. Please persuade me!

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
There are some very smart people out there that can and do root every phone that is out there... including all Verizon phones. I did hear that Verizon might be the last ones to get the new S4. That might be a concern if you are thinking you need this phone by the 25th... but if it was me I would not be concerned with which you can root, but try to find the carrier that works best in your area. For me it is Verizon, but I do get fairly good coverage with almost every carrier.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes the S3 on Verizon was hacked and rooted. In the early stages it was a bit tricky but now that its been fine tuned its not an issue anymore at all...

Problem is.. How long will Verizon take to release it since they seem to sit on things for a while longer than the rest of the US carrier market.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Android Central, could you help me out? I am going to pre-order the S4 when it's announced, but now I have the dilemma of choosing Verizon or AT&T. I just dropped Sprint (Service BLOWS when I visit my family in Southern NJ) and I have until the 25th to port my number over to another carrier. T-Mobile is not an option as the service where I am is very questionable.

I am really into rooting my phones and I'm afraid that if I go with Verizon I won't be able to root my S4? Is that true? Wasn't there a work around the S3 where people got it rooted and S-off?

I am in a 4G LTE Market for both phones, that isn't the issue, but when I travel to NJ, it seems Verizon has the better coverage, LTE wise, up there.

My bill with both will be the same for each.

I just can't make up my mind!! LOL, I suck. Please persuade me!

When it comes to the network itself, I love Verizon, but the biggest cons are:
1. Phones are CDMA and locked. If you don't travel Internationally or plan to take your device to another carrier, this isn't a very big deal.
2. They tend to lock their phones down more than other carriers. The Verizon GS3 was the last of all variants to get it's bootloader unlocked (I refused to buy an GS3 until that happened). Granted, usually someone will figure out how to do it, but there's never a guarantee. Having said that though, there was also a "developer" edition of the GS3 for Verizon that you could buy at full retail if you choose to do so, with an unlocked bootloader...of course it wasn't even made available until last fall, several months after the release of the standard version.
3. Updates. Verizon phones ALWAYS take the longest to get updates compared to the other US carriers. Since you said you're into rooting, however, this probably isn't a big deal for you since you would be able to flash updated ROMs at your own will.

I can't make any comments about AT&T because I've never been a customer of theirs.

Here's the thing though, Samsung is supposed to "unveil" the GS4 today...So I highly doubt you'll be able to get yourself into an GS4 by the 25th, even by pre-order. AT&T is a maybe, I suppose, but last year, for example, Verizon didn't the get the GS3 until July -- and I don't think they started taking pre-orders until sometime in June, even thought the International and GSM versions had come out several months earlier. You may be stuck having to get a "burner" to use for a while if you need to switch by the 25th and are set on getting the GS4

JainaSJedi

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of international versions...

Are these phones unlocked if you buy at full retail price? I need a Verizon phone for this summer where Verizon is the only data network that works in Yellowstone, but I am going to Australia in October. So I really need an unlocked international version. Will the Verizon version of the Galaxy S4 work internationally with a local SIM card?

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Verizon:

-Later release
-Slower updates
-More bloatware
-Obnoxious carrier branding
-Data caps (not sure about ATT)
-Expensive as hell
-Don't get yearly upgrades

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I am a loyal Verizon customer,Fios/wireless, excellent coverage,superior network,never any issues,but i also live about 15 miles from Verizon wireless world headquarters so i cannot speak for different locations,in the end you have to go with what serice works best in your location.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I am a loyal Verizon customer,Fios/wireless, excellent coverage,superior network,never any issues,but i also live about 15 miles from Verizon wireless world headquarters so i cannot speak for different locations,in the end you have to go with what serice works best in your location.
This.
VZ has the best coverage overall, but several disadvantages. However, coverage is the big one. If AT&T has good coverage in your area I'd go with them.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Verizon:

-Later release (Based on previous releases, this is probably true)
-Slower updates (True, but shouldn't be a concern for the OP if they are going to root and manage updates themselves)
-More bloatware (See above -- bloatware easily removed by rooting)
-Obnoxious carrier branding (I know this bothers some, but honestly, it is just cosmetic)
-Data caps (not sure about ATT) (AT&T had data caps before Verizon -- think Sprint is only US option if you want to avoid them)
-Expensive as hell (Depending on your plan and other discounts, Verizon and AT&T will probably be competitive in pricing, so you'd want to look into all carriers based on what type of plan you'd need to go with. Sprint or T-mobile or other smaller carriers will probably be cheaper, though you may sacrifice service coverage)
-Don't get yearly upgrades (Both AT&T allow subsidized upgrades at the 20-month mark of 2-year contracts...do any US carriers have "yearly" upgrades?)

See my comments in RED above...

I'm not trying to defend Big Red here, but the fact is that there is a reason they have so many customers and why so many of their customers stick with them (although many of the quoted reasons are why people switch away from them as well).

Again, depending on what type of plan you need, it's hard to say whether Verizon will be more expensive than AT&T or vice versa. My company, for example, offers a great discount on Verizon, so I'd actually spend more to switch to an AT&T plan; that may be opposite for others. The amount of minutes and data you need as well as the number of lines on your plan also can affect who may offer the best value for your needs, so it's best to check with both. Both T-Mobile and Sprint (as well as numerous smaller regional carriers) offer cheaper plans, but again, it can be a matter of sacrificing coverage, depending on where you live (and travel to) and use your phone.

As someone who also likes to root and run ROMs, I don't care that much about bloatware or the fact that Verizon tends to be slower on updates, although it does force me to research the phones before I buy and make sure the bootloader can be unlocked, etc. If updates and running the latest software is important to you though, Verizon is not the best choice.

GS4Bob

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Newbie here....no cell phone!!! :)
I have ATT landline and DSL Pro internet. I want to get rid of the landline and keep the DSL Pro. I also want to move my current landline # on the GS4.
So, I figure the best move for me is to go ATT to make sure when my number is ported I don't lose the DSL.
In my area, Verizon has the better coverage, but not significantly better, so ATT with the Samsung Galaxy S4 should be fine.....BUT it appears that Verizon has 4G LTE while ATT has 4G...not sure what the big diff. is however.

Anyone go thru this and have any advice on how to proceed? Big learning curve since this will be first smartphone.

As I understand..... In the DSL provisioning too, there is a specific option that should be used that converts line-share service (telephone and internet) to dry-loop service (internet only). If done properly, there will not be an issue. If ATT says they need to send a tech out to install then that is wrong.
So, if it is done correct as stated and the number is ported and then the dsl provisioning is set correct, I should be good?

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of international versions...

Are these phones unlocked if you buy at full retail price? I need a Verizon phone for this summer where Verizon is the only data network that works in Yellowstone, but I am going to Australia in October. So I really need an unlocked international version. Will the Verizon version of the Galaxy S4 work internationally with a local SIM card?

Still locked here in the US even at full price. Not sure if you can still get a code or not with the changes in the law. You can get an unlocked international but it will be gsm and not compatible with verizon. Just get a cheap unlocked phone for international.

Pretty much the rest of the world is gsm so you just pop a pre paid SIM in and you have service anywhere in thw world. Not sure why verizon and sprint stayed CDMA but is is older technology. They do have some world phones that take a SIM but not sure of the models.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
We use Verizon because here in Kansas no one even comes close to their coverage, and being in a more rural area, it is even a larger issue. If I were in a larger area I would go with either ATT or VZW. And, if I travelled outside of the US, then I AT&T would definitely be my preference since a simple sim card change would allow me to use local services wherever I happened to be.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
We use Verizon because here in Kansas no one even comes close to their coverage, and being in a more rural area, it is even a larger issue. If I were in a larger area I would go with either ATT or VZW. And, if I travelled outside of the US, then I AT&T would definitely be my preference since a simple sim card change would allow me to use local services wherever I happened to be.
I have a DNA which has a Sim card and is dual band capable,i am pretty sure most if not all high end smartphones Verizon sell have this feature.for international use

dlinares90

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Though there are most certainly many factors that go into selecting a mobile carrier, it would seem obvious that the most important is service coverage (I think). On that premise, you would need to find out how well Verizon and AT&T perform in your local area (or wherever you believe to be spending most of your time). If coverage from both services seem to be somewhat equal, you should look at price and plan options.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
In my area, Verizon has the better coverage, but not significantly better, so ATT with the Samsung Galaxy S4 should be fine.....BUT it appears that Verizon has 4G LTE while ATT has 4G...not sure what the big diff. is however.
LTE is 4G, just a faster version. Both ATT & VZ offer it, but not necessarily in your area (if you go to a carrier's web site you should find a coverage map). For many people 4G (HSPA+) is enough, it depends on if you plan on downloading or streaming a lot. Remember that with either VZ or ATT you're going to have data caps. LTE is fast enough that you can use up your whole month's allocation while drinking a single cup of coffee.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12