08-17-2013 05:22 PM
89 1234
tools
    Verizon will allow you to upgrade any line that is already a phone and move that new phone to any other line on the same account. Even if the line that has unlimited is eligible, you can transfer that upgrade to another line and keep unlimited. You can also add new lines of service to get a subsidized price then put a dumb phone on the new line and transfer the new device to tour number. All of these ways let you keep unlimited. You cannot use tablet, jetpack, or home phone connect line upgrades (anything that uses a special rate plan) to do this however. And be aware if using sites like amazon or wirefly that doing this alternate upgrade method could cause an etf based on their terms and conditions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    05-08-2013 07:29 AM
    The catch here with any subsidized upgrade ( I'm adding a line to my old family share to get the S4 and then activating a basic phone on the line) and keep unlimited Is the subsidized phone MUST be activated on the line it was ordered for FIRST. It can then be switched to another line. If you take the new phone right to your number, there is a high likelyhood you will lose unlimited. I was warned not to activate it on my line first. So if you use your girlfriends upgrade, she must activate it first herself, then swap back to her old phone....then you may use it.
    This wasn't the case for me. I always fire up my brand new phones I get straight onto my unlimited line, whether they be upgrades or new lines.
    05-08-2013 08:26 AM
    This wasn't the case for me. I always fire up my brand new phones I get straight onto my unlimited line, whether they be upgrades or new lines.
    Have you done this since Verizon started their new policy of switching people off of unlimited data if they upgrade on their unlimited data line?
    05-08-2013 09:27 AM
    Have you done this since Verizon started their new policy of switching people off of unlimited data if they upgrade on their unlimited data line?
    Yes, I get a new phone every six months.
    05-08-2013 11:08 AM
    Which means you are buying it outright or from a 3rd party (craigslist) which does not count towards the unlimited data. Only if you were to buy it on contract that is when you would lose the unlimited
    05-08-2013 12:34 PM
    And these are subsidized phones that you used an upgrade to obtain?

I personally am not willing to take a chance. It is one more step to activate a subsidized phone first on a non-unlimited data line and then reactivate it on the unlimited data line. Hardly takes any time at all.
    05-08-2013 01:54 PM

I personally am not willing to take a chance. It is one more step to activate a subsidized phone first on a non-unlimited data line and then reactivate it on the unlimited data line. Hardly takes any time at all.
    Doubt it. I've gone through the website before when upgrading and they warn you that they are removing your unlimited plan.

This guy is doing it through a 3rd party.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    05-08-2013 04:08 PM
    Which means you are buying it outright or from a 3rd party (craigslist) which does not count towards the unlimited data. Only if you were to buy it on contract that is when you would lose the unlimited
    Nope, I get all my phones from Verizon.

Yes, they are subsidized phones.
    Doubt it. I've gone through the website before when upgrading and they warn you that they are removing your unlimited plan.

This guy is doing it through a 3rd party.

No third party here. I have multiple lines so every time I want a new phone I usually have an upgrade available. I have one dummy phone that I don't use, so I just transfer my upgrade to that line, order my phone and when I get it I put my SIM card from my personal phone line in and I'm good to go. I just used one of my upgrades to order the S4 and I have another upgrade available in a couple days. If I really like the S4 I may get another but I will probably just save that one for the Note 3 later this year.
    05-08-2013 06:18 PM
    Then you doing exactly what everyones talking about thats why its called a loophole

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    05-08-2013 10:15 PM
    Then you doing exactly what everyones talking about thats why its called a loophole

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I know, that's why I posted but then people assumed I didn't know what I was talking about.
    05-08-2013 10:31 PM
    Nope, I get all my phones from Verizon.

Yes, they are subsidized phones.

No third party here. I have multiple lines so every time I want a new phone I usually have an upgrade available. I have one dummy phone that I don't use, so I just transfer my upgrade to that line, order my phone and when I get it I put my SIM card from my personal phone line in and I'm good to go. I just used one of my upgrades to order the S4 and I have another upgrade available in a couple days. If I really like the S4 I may get another but I will probably just save that one for the Note 3 later this year.
    This is exactly what I do as well
    05-08-2013 10:36 PM
    I know, that's why I posted but then people assumed I didn't know what I was talking about.
    I don't think it was that as much as you didn't give enough info for people to know what you were talking about. Now you have clarified. Thanks.

That's great if it works, I just am so worried about losing unlimited data that I will take the additional step of activating on the limited data line first even if it is unnecessary.
    05-08-2013 10:40 PM
    i got the iphone 5 and did the same thing. i upgraded on a dumb phone line, and activated it on my line right away which had and still has unlimited data
    05-13-2013 05:25 PM
    Sorry if this has been answered a bunch already but here goes. I have an upgrade available on my line but I want to keep unlimited. I've in this thread were you can transfer the upgrade off of your line to another line on your account and keep your unlimited. Am I understanding this correctly? So if I take my upgrade and transfer it to my sons line, upgrade his phone, then transfer the phone to my number and reactivate his old phone I will still have unlimited? Will the other phone get its upgrade at its scheduled time or will the two year cycle start over for it the day I transfer my upgrade and get an S4?
    05-14-2013 11:09 AM
    Sorry if this has been answered a bunch already but here goes. I have an upgrade available on my line but I want to keep unlimited. I've in this thread were you can transfer the upgrade off of your line to another line on your account and keep your unlimited. Am I understanding this correctly? So if I take my upgrade and transfer it to my sons line, upgrade his phone, then transfer the phone to my number and reactivate his old phone I will still have unlimited? Will the other phone get its upgrade at its scheduled time or will the two year cycle start over for it the day I transfer my upgrade and get an S4?
    Correct. Just activate his line with the s4 then swap the sim card with yours, unless you don't have a 4G sim card - then you will have to go in store and get a sim card installed. Which isn't a big deal.

But ya your son will still get his scheduled upgrade.

Also you can chat with Verizon live on their site and they can confirm all this.

abishai#AC likes this.
    05-14-2013 01:44 PM
    What "loophole" are we talking about? I'm eligible for a upgrade now, but really can't afford to lose my unlimited data, on either line...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    05-14-2013 06:44 PM
    What "loophole" are we talking about? I'm eligible for a upgrade now, but really can't afford to lose my unlimited data, on either line...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    You need a dummy line to transfer the upgrades to. So either open one or bite the bullet on a upgrade.

I think someone worked out its about 25% cheaper than paying full price.

05-14-2013 07:15 PM
    I have 2 smartphones(1 unlimited and one on the 2gb plan) the unlimited is up for upgrade, can I switch the upgrade to the other non unlimited line and then activate it and switch to my main line( with unlimited data and still have unlimited correct? I used to do this but make sure it is still the same process.
    05-17-2013 11:02 PM
    I have 2 smartphones(1 unlimited and one on the 2gb plan) the unlimited is up for upgrade, can I switch the upgrade to the other non unlimited line and then activate it and switch to my main line( with unlimited data and still have unlimited correct? I used to do this but make sure it is still the same process.
    Yup you can, just did it to get my pre order in. Had a couple unlimited lines and one dumb phone I transferred the upgrade from the unlimited to the dumb phone and preorders the s4, once it gets here il activate it switch it to my line and cancel the data package on it to put the dumb phone back on the line
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-18-2013 09:20 AM
    im going to try this method... i believe i read enough to understand this process

I pre-ordered the s4 using an upgrade on my grandpas dumb phone since i have an unlimited line... since he went to a smart phone a 30 dollar data plan was needed to be upgraded on his line....

Is this the correct process? (i know its redundant just want to dumb it down step by step to make sure everything goes flawlessly)

1. When phone arrives in mail go online or call Verizon to activate the S4 on his line removing his dumb phone from the line...
    2. go online and switch phone esn on his line back to his old phone... (will this automatically cancel the 30 dollar 2gb plan????) if not can i call and cancel free of charge?
    3. now take the S4 floater phone and put my bionic sim card into it and wait for it to automatically activate?

my father has an upgrade on his line also so can he transfer that upgrade onto my gpas dumb phone and repeat the whole cycle or will at this point verizon catch on to what im doing?

let me know if these steps are correct thanks!!!
    05-19-2013 04:35 PM
    ... since he went to a smart phone a 30 dollar data plan was needed to be upgraded on his line...
    Is there still a $30 data plan? I thought only the $30/line + $40 share-everything plans are available now.
    05-19-2013 05:06 PM
    Yup you can, just did it to get my pre order in. Had a couple unlimited lines and one dumb phone I transferred the upgrade from the unlimited to the dumb phone and preorders the s4, once it gets here il activate it switch it to my line and cancel the data package on it to put the dumb phone back on the line
    I would watch that. My brother did that transferee his upgrade from his unlimited line to a dumb phone line and it worked. However Verizon caught it and canceled his unlimited data about two months in. They would not give the unlimited plan back because they said he used his upgrade on the unlimited line. Might have just been bad luck for him but I would still use caution. Now I just use the upgrades on my dumb phone lines and transfer to my unlimoted line and leave my unlimited upgrades alone.
    05-19-2013 05:08 PM
    Is there still a $30 data plan? I thought only the $30/line + $40 share-everything plans are available now.
    yest 10 for line and 30 for the data... we still are on family plan and not on the share everything
    05-19-2013 06:04 PM
    I would watch that. My brother did that transferee his upgrade from his unlimited line to a dumb phone line and it worked. However Verizon caught it and canceled his unlimited data about two months in. They would not give the unlimited plan back because they said he used his upgrade on the unlimited line. Might have just been bad luck for him but I would still use caution. Now I just use the upgrades on my dumb phone lines and transfer to my unlimoted line and leave my unlimited upgrades alone.
    Ahh thanks for the heads up but I've done it a couple of times and its been ok
    05-19-2013 06:20 PM
    Ahh thanks for the heads up but I've done it a couple of times and its been ok
    That's awesome. If others have done it as we'll maybe I will try. Maybe he was just unlucky. I'm just not brave enough yet to tempt fate lol
    taylorz_412 likes this.
    05-19-2013 06:21 PM
89 1234